Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

Yea - all the rest of the nations will have to wait until after the trip. Twelve days left in the US!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Dang! Have a nice trip… Don’t get killed or anything. We need you here.

• Customizer

Here’s a couple of commissions I worked on lately… I unfortunately didn’t take pictures of them all.

Custom painted US Navy

Italian Strategic Bombers (this will be part of my complete set when I get around to it)

• '13

If one were skillful with an xacto knife they could carve up the nose of the Italian bomber to make it look like a tri-motor.

• Customizer

@17Mark71:

If one were skillful with an xacto knife they could carve up the nose of the Italian bomber to make it look like a tri-motor.

I’m actually thinking about doing that, but just sculpting a new nose out of green stuff instead then casting the result.

• Customizer

Nice camo.  :wink:

• @allworkandnoclay:

As a special one-time Xmas special, I’m offering $.50 off each miniature until Dec 25th!

Hi,

can you explain your way to paint? Did you use a primer (spray or brush?) after washing them with soap?

I buy some Vallejo acrilic (water based) colors… what do you think?

• Customizer

@Stefano1189:

@allworkandnoclay:

As a special one-time Xmas special, I’m offering $.50 off each miniature until Dec 25th!

Hi,

can you explain your way to paint? Did you use a primer (spray or brush?) after washing them with soap?

I use Vallejo paints myself first spraying them with a black primer (airbrush). You can find much more detailed descriptions of my processes if you scan through this (huge) thread.

I know it’s an insane jumble of

• @allworkandnoclay:

@Stefano1189:

@allworkandnoclay:

Hi,

I use Vallejo paints myself first spraying them with a black primer (airbrush). You can find much more detailed descriptions of my processes if you scan through this (huge) thread.

I know it’s an insane jumble of

Just a question… what kind of green did you use for Chinese?

• Just got Battle Cry, would you consider doing Union and confederate troops from the American Civil War?

• Customizer

@Stickman:

Just got Battle Cry, would you consider doing Union and confederate troops from the American Civil War?

I suppose so, but I don’t have time to do so now.

• Customizer

A couple last commission pics:

German Battleship

Industrial Complexes

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@allworkandnoclay:

A couple last commission pics:

German Battleship

Industrial Complexes

Those are INSANE!

I admire your work!!! :-D

• i think everyone does

• Wow, great stuff as always. I love those factories.

• @allworkandnoclay:

So I’ve started the massive task of painting my Pacific 1940 set. Because a) I love WWII and A&A, b) I have to make everything I do as authentic as possible, and c) I love self-torture; I’ve been researching what the closest equivalent piece of equipment for each faction would be. I thought this would be a good forum to post the list, as there’s some speculations as to what the Europe 1940 unit-makes will be.

A bit of the info I got from some the older A&A rulebooks (listed under unit descriptions), but too many of those were vague or inaccurate. So using the intraweb, books, and a lot of coffee, I’ve composed this list… Note that some of the items are repeats as nations would have borrowed technology from each other. Also I haven’t started on France - feel free to post your own ideas for their units.

I’d love to get everyone’s reactions, input, links, pics of their own painted sets, and in-general comments.

Thus:

Russia

@allworkandnoclay:

Russia

-Artillery - M1938 122 mm Howitzer

Katyushkas  :-D

-Mech Infantry - M3-A1?

no HT. Trucks. Red Army lacked of HT, didn’t have many mech infantry, had Motor Infantry Instead. “Mech Infatry” were ‘tank riders’ (literaly infantry riding on top of tanks, they used to do that a lot)

-Tactical Bomber - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik OR Petlyakov Pe-2 Peshka

Shturmovik

Germany

-Tank - PzKpfw V Panther

PzKpfw IV was the most common armor unit used as MBT by the Werchmatch though the war.

Japan

-Aircraft Carrier - Shinano class

only one built of this ‘class’

USA

-Fighter - Lockheed P-38 Lightning

P-51 Mustang for Europe
    F6F Hellcat for the Pacific

China

-Fighter - Curtiss P-40 “Flying Tigers”

abso-fucking-lutelly!  :-D

Italy

-Fighter - Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Folgore
    -Tactical Bomber - Savoia-Marchetti SM.84
    -Strategic Bomber - Piaggio P.108

where are you planning to get those ones? (I would love having some SP84 Spaviero. (note: I don’t think the Spavieros could land on a AC)

• '16 Customizer

I’m also hand painting my pieces (they don’t look quite as good as yours… love your infantry roundels) and I was wondering how you do the very delicate details such as the swastika on the german battleship and the numbers on the side of the USSR tanks. ie. what tools you use. I have my own tools that I find pretty handy but not quite as accurate as yours (needles, brushes, shishkabob sticks)  :-)

great work!

• Does anyone know when he’ll be back? These were what made my day so often.

• i think in may

• Customizer

Finally got a camera and these are my latest finished units: French Inf, Artillery, Tanks, Mech inf, AC and Air Force.

French Infantry.jpg
    French Armour.jpg
    French Air & AC.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m