Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• @Imperious:

They are just pieces that we play with and need to be a certain size so its easy to pick up and see on the map. It is no problem if the halftrack is the same size as a tank, though they are not and are a bit smaller than tanks.

Precisely. It’s a game that needs manipulating, not a scale model display for show.

One word: functionality. 'Nuff said.

• @knp7765:

Last is a pic of WOTC truck, half-track and Panther.  Notice that WOTC actually came pretty close to scale with the vehicles.  In my opinion, this is more what FMG’s vehicles should look like in size comparison.

While I can appreciate the desire for a semi-accurate scale between a particular class of vehicles those WotC trucks and half tracks are entirely unweildy when playing the game for many of us which renders them almost unusable.  In order to have them more usable yet still be in “scale” the tanks would then end up being larger than WotC tanks … and then we’d end up in the same debate and uproar that was going on in the Table Tactics thread about the varying sizes of their tanks and non-comformity with OOB pieces.

I guess the only thing to really say is … you can’t please everyone.

• r@inverted:

…Precisely. It’s a game that needs manipulating, not a scale model display for show.

that’s what the bath tub is for :wink:
    or the pool. (i have a ton of 1-350th scale ships )

• i think people have not been asking for scale but keeping the pieces close to Wotc constancy, with having land vehicles related to one another. meaning trucks and half tracks being smaller than tanks. but if FMG’s italy trucks and armored car are already the same size as their tanks how would they go and fix them?

• Customizer

YES!!  Lunarwolf hit the nail right on the head.  I was ONLY talking about the size difference between LAND VEHICLES.  Not infantry or artillery and certainly not ANY of the air units.  I know that an infantry can not be in scale with the tanks, way too small.  I also know that a bomber can’t be in scale with the tanks, way too big.  I’m just saying that trucks, half-tracks, armored cars and tanks should be at least close to scale.  I’m not even saying make it perfect, 100% exactly to scale, just at least come close.  Don’t make a truck be as big as a King Tiger tank, make it a little smaller.

As for the already crafted Italian units, I see two reasons that there isn’t really a problem with their land units:
    1>Like reloader said, “What’s done is done”.  No reason to go back and try to change it now.  What I’m trying to accomplish is to avoid any FUTURE errors.  ASSUMING that there is any errors in size difference between the Italian vehicles, we don’t want FMG to continue said error with Germany, USA, Japan, etc.  If we do see any kind of error with the Italians, we need to correct that now before the Germans get finalized.  This way, we all help to make each set better and better.
    2>Historically, Italian tanks, SPGs and armored cars were physically pretty small, especially compared to German tanks.  Therefore, I don’t think any discrepancy in size difference between pieces vs. between the actual vehicles is really that big a deal.  As I stated before, I’m not looking for 100% accuracy.  I just don’t think a truck or half-track should be as big as a King Tiger tank.  Either make the truck and half-track a little smaller or the King Tiger a little bigger.

• like many have said make it clear that a king tiger is bigger. 1-2 mm is good enough

• '10

I am sorry but I don’t see the scale we have chosen as “errors”.  My goal is to FIX the errors of the WOTC pieces.  The trucks and Half-tracks looked “dinky” and were much to small.  We CORRECTED that.

Regardless of the argument on scale, these units will look 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% better than the WOTC parts on the game board.

These were very hard decisions to make…  but after much consideration, this is the direction we are going.  We don’t want to COPY anything, we are making units for WW2 games that are vastly superior to any that currently exist.  AAA is our inspiration but we do not want to copy their scale or their mistakes.

And in the end, as stated…  “We will never be able to please everyone” That is impossible.

• well said.
    and i dis agree…with my self i think now that the larger thay are the better details cand be placed on them. as long as ther no freakishly huge like TT’S (sorry TT) than they will blend in with wotc’s…with the aaa board . (they wont blend w/ wotc’s pieces… they will surpass.)

• '10

GERMAN COMMANDER UNIT

ROMMEL.jpg

• I love, love, love how Rommel looks.

Just two suggestions:

Maybe make a version with him wearing a belt and goggles on his cap.

And his boots need to look higher and sleeker like a general or officer. They look like enlisted men boots.

• Maybe make a version with him wearing a belt and goggles on his cap.

And his boots need to look higher and sleeker like a general or officer. They look like enlisted men boots.

Making these pieces is not exactly like making pancakes! It takes a couple of thousand dollars to just get to that picture. What they kindly offered you is the glimpse of the prototype mold. I hardly think ( and think along with me) that they will spend another $2,000- $3,000 to get a new prototype of a version “with belt, and googles, and pink polka dot dress”

If you really love it as you have stated, let it be

Its not time to make changes at this point. All of that was heard in countless posts before they even started the process of spending many thousands on these pieces.

What you see is what you get and its great already.

• '10

@Zwolf87:

I love, love, love how Rommel looks.

Just two suggestions:

Maybe make a version with him wearing a belt and goggles on his cap.

Didnt know it was Rommel. Thought it was Manstein.

• '10

It is just a German Commander, not specificly Rommel.  That is just what I called the file.

• Customizer

Looks great.  You will have my $ on this set as well.  Already bought an Italian set.  Looking forward to preordering the Germans as well (in black …).

• Customizer

Oh wow - my paint brushes are rattling to get to the Germans…

• same. no that im going to start a cource that is offerd in the area for small scale minis

• Good GOD that looks incredible! What material is used in these sculpts? It almost looks like a wax…

More of an observation than a complaint, don’t want to come off as whiney or start any fires: he has the same kind of head thing going on as the infantry but at least it’s consistent. It’s almost like you have different artists sculpting these than the Italians.

Again, how can I pre-order a whole set? =P

• '10

@jim010:

Looking forward to preordering the Germans as well (in black …).

You won’t be able to get them in black until all the other main countries have been completed.

• This project is really looking sweet FMG!

• I say do Black first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m