Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• You guys are fantastic artists. Even if I tried, I don’t think I could match the beauty of your work. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

• Customizer

@finnman:

I love all the air force camos but I think that would be hard to keep track of on the board
    by the way what is your other project

I made sets of camouflages to where a player can have enough with two of any variety (say one ocean and one mainland) and still keep track. Also the Japanese Air Force was very unique from the rest of the world in its decorative look. In my opinion one could really only confuse the flat green camo with America’s olive drab.

But either way, my set is mostly designed to be historically accurate. I haven’t set up any of the boards yet (which is in itself a form of self discipline combined with torture), but I wouldn’t mind if any of them seem a bit confusing. That’s part of the effect of war. Just look at how many friendly casualties there are in every war. Much like in chess, my painted version will challenge players to keep track of their pieces with a much closer eye. I am trying not to have sets with too similar a paint scheme (like mentioned before, ANZAC vs UK will be the true test of that), but I’m not trying to make it a complimentary color set either.

I can’t tell you about all my projects regarding A&A (sworn to secrecy for one) but:

• My current job is custom kitchen cabinetry. I have access to a full carpentry shop, so I’m going to make my own version of the FMG ammo crate. The individual nation boxes are going to be divided up into slots for each of the units (and felt-lined). The box will have enough space for all the A&A variant games and for a custom dice tower.

• I’m thinking about making my own boards for the A&A revised and 1940’s sets. This board would be hand painted on either plywood or some kind of pressed particle material. Everything will be interlocking in a much more secure fashion (and the revised board will be bigger of course).

• Customizer

I like your interpretation of this A&A edition, you’ve captured/conveyed that nicely.

That cabinet idea sounds fantastic!  Whew… would love to see that.

• Customizer

On a completely random note:

• Customizer

Small update:

Chinese Artillery

Next update will take a while… Japanese Navy (and thus; Full Imperial Japanese Forces)

• where are the German pieces?

• You are insane man!  I can’t wait to see the carriers!  
    How are you going to identify the Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers as Japanese?  In other words where will you put the rising sun flags?

I was thinking (because I have no artistic skill with a brush) about subbing A&A minis in for the pieces in the game, but that would 1) cost a ton and 2) overfill the board and 3) i’d have no way to easily identify what country the belong to.  I mean, it wouldnt be too hard to replace the infantry, but the tanks, half-tracks, ships (from War At Sea), and planes would almost never fit on an A&A board.  Besides I wouldnt have any way to mark them with the chips to denote say 4 battleships, and it’d be a huge mess.  Any thoughts?

• @Imperious:

where are the German pieces?

He is doing the pieces for pacific 1940 there are no german pieces

• Customizer

@finnman:

@Imperious:

where are the German pieces?

He is doing the pieces for pacific 1940 there are no german pieces

If you notice, the title of the forum is 1940 E&P. I’m just going through at least most of Pacific first. So far I’ve done (in this order) China, ANZAC, and Japan. Next is US, Germany, UK, Russia, Italy, France, (then possibly Canada? Neutrals?)

• Customizer

@robbie358:

You are insane man!  I can’t wait to see the carriers!  
    How are you going to identify the Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers as Japanese?  In other words where will you put the rising sun flags?

The entire navy will have the white flag with a red dot painted on the side of the ship, though the battleships and carriers will have the full roundel painted on their hulls (I’m going to go back and do this for the ANZAC flagships as well). Also every navy’s warships are going to have half of their smokestacks and radar towers striped with the original nation’s color (IE orange for Japan).

@robbie358:

I was thinking (because I have no artistic skill with a brush) about subbing A&A minis in for the pieces in the game, but that would 1) cost a ton and 2) overfill the board and 3) i’d have no way to easily identify what country the belong to.  I mean, it wouldnt be too hard to replace the infantry, but the tanks, half-tracks, ships (from War At Sea), and planes would almost never fit on an A&A board.  Besides I wouldnt have any way to mark them with the chips to denote say 4 battleships, and it’d be a huge mess.  Any thoughts?

Well as a bit of shameless self promotion: I’m about to start a website offering the service of painting A&A (or any board game’s) pieces. There will be a wide variety of different detail availabilities for varying price ranges. I’m still in the process of getting all the specs together (gauging how long paint jobs take, what to charge, taking better pics of the finished product, etc).

Speaking of which - anyone have any suggestions for a domain name?

• miniart.com, seems to be available

• '10

Impressive paintjob. Nice fotos!

Thanks.

• Customizer

@gredert:

miniart.com, seems to be available

Actually it’s been taken. Though I’m still up to new suggestions, I just registered: warpieces.com. What do you guys think?

• @allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Actually it’s been taken. Though I’m still up to new suggestions, I just registered: warpieces.com. What do you guys think?

I think whatever it is you need to add it to your signature on your profile.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Sounds good to me! I searched a few others that seemed to fit you but they were all taken. Maybe “allworkforyourplay.com”? It’s long but goes with the theme… :-D

• Customizer

@Variable:

@allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Sounds good to me! I searched a few others that seemed to fit you but they were all taken. Maybe “allworkforyourplay.com”? It’s long but goes with the theme… :-D

Well the one I currently have was going to be warandpieces.com … I might still register that one heh.

• How about paintedarmy.com?

• man terrific work :-o absolutely fantastic congratulation!

• Customizer

@Brain:

How about paintedarmy.com?

I like that… Maybe I’ll snatch that one as well just for the multiple urls.

Update coming soon! About halfway through the Japanese Navy - it’s huge!

Two camo sets - 8 Battleships, 8 Carriers, 8 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers, 12 Transports, and 12 Subs.

• @allworkandnoclay:

@Brain:

How about paintedarmy.com?

I like that… Maybe I’ll snatch that one as well just for the multiple urls.
    Update coming soon! About halfway through the Japanese Navy - it’s huge!
    Two camo sets - 8 Battleships, 8 Carriers, 8 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers, 12 Transports, and 12 Subs.

Did I mention my commission? :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m