• Personally I can’t stand TV anymore.

In the UK we’re expected to pay a TV lisence to legally own a Television set, failure to do so can result in a £1,000 fine. The costs of the TV lisence go towards the upkeep of the BBC, which covers both their Radio and TV output. Owning a radio is free and the quality of the writing on BBC radio far exceeds that of their televised output, so I’ve now opted to rid myself of having to pay £140 a year for a TV set and now listen to radio instead.

And I’ve never looked back on that decision.

Radio plays and news coverage are far deeper and engrossing when compared to TV. I am surprised by just how high the quality of BBC radio is when compared to TV.

• I work near and out of my work vehicle daily, I like radio.

• I only use televison for the most part to watch sporting events. In my car on my long commute to work I listen to audio books which I have found make my drive more relaxing.

• I watch only a handful of shows:

Anything with Gordon Ramsey
    Lions Den ( BBC program)
    Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives
    Sports
    Judge Judy
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Operation Repo
    Military Channel
    Science Channel
    Anything on Astronomy
    Reno 911
    NBA package of channels
    late night runs of Sanford and Son ( even though i got them all on DVD)
    Threes Company

Thats it. I refuse to watch anything else, except what i got on DVD.

• @Imperious:

late night runs of Sanford and Son ( even though i got them all on DVD)

Have you seen the original BBC version ‘Steptoe & Son’? In my opinion it is so much better, the dynamic between the two characters far more intense (plus the quality of the writing is outstanding).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycQ8CeVEx8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_son

Interesting fact: The actor who played the son was considered the British Marlon Brando at the time, but due to his work on Steptoe and Son could never get any decent work since people always associated him with the show… made him quite bitter as a result.

• Which came first Sandford and Son or Steptoe and Son?

• @Brain:

Which came first Sandford and Son or Steptoe and Son?

Steptoe and Son: Stanford and Son is an American remake in the same vein as the American remake of ‘The Office’.

Personally I can’t see why Americans have to do this - I love ‘Curb your Enthusiasm’, and would hate it if I had to make do with a British remake… you can’t beat the originals.

• Yes i saw a few episodes a long time ago. Didn’t think much of them, probably because it had too much British form of humor.

The only British Comedy i like is Faulty Towers and Are you being served?

• @Imperious:

Yes i saw a few episodes a long time ago. Didn’t think much of them, probably because it had too much British form of humor.

The only British Comedy i like is Faulty Towers and Are you being served?

You didn’t like Monty Python?

• No. I despised it. It reminded me of D&D too much. It is probably a known fact that all D&D players love that movie.

• @Imperious:

No. I despised it. It reminded me of D&D too much. It is probably a known fact that all D&D players love that movie.

How does Monty Python remind you of D&D?

I want you to look at this quote and tell me that you think it makes sense: “It is probably a known fact”

• Ask a couple of D&D players and you will have confirmation.

• Rarely watch TV anymore. I sometimes will watch the news but I prefer Radio for that. There are a number of things about tv that irk me. One is there seems to always be more commercials than programming and the commercials are always louder. Another is well there isn’t anything on worth watching. The only reason I pay for cable is the internet.

I still watch movies but less and less of the newer ones. I may be getting senile thinking most everything coming out of Hollywood is overpriced and poorly written. Harrison Ford made a comment that if you wanted to part of a good story you almost had to produce it yourself.

• I listen to KFI640. Mostly either Bill Handel or George Norry and John and Ken

• I’ve never watched much TV.  Unless it’s video games, movies, or shows on DVD, I don’t turn the tube on that much.

As far as British shows go, I like The Office (better than the US), Spaced, Extras, Monty Python.  Seen others but I don’t remember them as well (I was probably high).

• I used to play D&D and I don’t see the connection to Monty Python.

• I always thought D&D would be cool.

• @ABWorsham:

I always thought D&D would be cool.

If you’re interested in classic 80s D&D you can play an emulated version called “Labyrinth Lord” which can be found here (free PDF version):

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

It’s essentially the same game just the word “Dungeon Master” has been replaced with Labyrinth Lord: All the rules, monsters, weapons etc are identical but for copyright purposes have been changed.

Personally I prefer classic D&D as it gives the players and the DM more of a chance to be creative: the latest incarnations are purely designed to make money, requiring you to purchase multitudes of books for monsters, spells, etc. With the Labyrinth Lord you have the entire game within a single book like original D&D :D

• @ABWorsham:

I always thought D&D would be cool.

It really depends on the group that you are playing with.

• Never got into DandD though I have friends who have. I was and still am into the old West End Games Star Wars Roleplaying Game. That is a blast. Unfortunately West End Games went under and our friends at WOTC bought got involved and had to redo the game in their own way. Over all their version was more restrictive and a lot less fun for me. I tried it once…It lasted about as long as the guy who rolled a gungun to play a star wars mission. Said gungun died less than a few minutes into the mission. I hate gunguns.

My closest friends from college still play this game (the same ones who play AanaA) and we try to get together a few times a year to play, camp, fish, hike, and well just have a good time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m