"Tall Paul's" ITALIAN units, detailed & painted by the "WARMACHINE Team"

• Customizer

Fellow A&A Gamers,

––This thread will eventually contain ALL of the Italian units modified, detailed, painted, and decalled by the “WARMACHINE Team”.

––So far the list contains:

ITALY

ITALIAN ARMY
    Italian Infantry
    ––Italian (Infantry, Rifle)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #1

ITALIAN AIR FORCE
    Italian Aircraft
    ––C.202 (Fighter, Army)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #47
    ––BA.65 (Bomber, Dive)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #58
    ––BR.20 (Bomber, Medium)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #70
    ––P.108 (Bomber, Heavy)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #76
    ––SM.79 (Air Transport)…Desert scheme…Starting at message #39

–-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----Well, The FMG Italian Infantry are now marching towards my A&A gameboard. It looks like we might soon be playing in the sand, haha.
    ––Shown below, on the Top are the original, INCORRECT roundels,….and on the Bottom the up-dated, CORRECT roundels. Enjoy!

“Tall Paul”
    fmg_italian_inf.jpg
    Infantry, Rifle Italy_Desert02.jpg

• TripleA '12

They’re really nice. How long did they take? And is he working on any other pieces for you at the moment?

• Customizer

Lozmoid,

Thanks for the compliments on “Allworkandnoclay’s” awesome painting talent. I’ll be sure to pass them on to him.

I already have about a hundred of his paint jobs so far. I started with the Infantry because I think his idea for painting the national insignia on their bases is so cool!

He’s currently working on 20-Major I.C.'s, 32-Minor I.C.'s, and about
    20-A/A Guns.

After that we’ll either start the FMG Italian Air Force or do some of the wonderful
    HBG American Tanks and Aircraft. I’m not sure which yet. I’m really looking forward to the Factories, though. He sent a couple of pics of the “prototypes” if you’d like to see them.

“Tall Paul”

• TripleA '12

Thanks for the reply, Tall Paul. It’s great to hear what paint jobs Allwork is doing; I’ve been a fan of his stuff like since forever! Tell me - how do you find the adhesiveness of the paint on the soldiers? I hope it doesn’t scratch off!  :-)

He sent a couple of pics of the “prototypes” if you’d like to see them

Dude, that would be awesome!

• Customizer

Lozmoid,

Sorry for the delay, but I’m having to re-size the pics so they’ll be small enough to post here. It should only be a minute or two.

“Tall Paul”

factories1-1.JPG

• Customizer

Lozmoid,

There we go.

I have decided that the Factories would all look better if they had the national insignia(flag or roundel) located on BOTH SIDES instead of having windows painted on one side.

And I think I prefer the red brick more than the gray stone for the smokestacks.

This 2nd pic shows the “other” side with the painted windows which I think would look better with a 2nd Flag here instead.

What Do YOU Think?

“Tall Paul”

factories2-1.JPG

• TripleA '12

I like 'em, mate! I think the painted windows look a bit cartoonish if I’m honest, but I agree with you in that the power’s flag looks good on both sides. I might start painting my own one day.

I also like the third piece from that new Risk game, I think. Nicely painted stuff!

• Customizer

Lozmoid,

Thanks for your opinion. It helps to know that I’m not “out on a limb” with my opinions. At least some times, haha.

I hope that you will one day paint your units. And I hope these paint jobs may have inspired you, somewhat towards that end. I’d certainly be interested in seeing them when you do paint them.

Oh, yes, the other I.C. is from the RISK game. I guess I forgot to mention that when I had to rush to re-size the pics. Thanks and have a good day.

“Tall Paul”

• TripleA '12

Hey Tall Paul, believe me - I would love to paint my own units one day but what a gargantuan task! Maybe… Oh, I’m plenty inspired and have been since people started posting pics of their own paintjobs on this site. I don’t know what holds me back… I’d want to do a decent jobm that’s one thing. And I could use some advice as to the best kind of paint to use, varnish too - stuff like that.

I’ve got some old paints and small brushes but I think I’d like to get some new stuff. If anyone can recommend a particular brand of paint that worked well for them, I’d be very grateful to hear about it.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Tall Paul,

Sometimes contracting out pays off. These pieces look fantastic.

I think the painted pieces really add to the atmosphere of the game. I’ve been painting (and re-painting) my growing number of A and A pieces for more than ten years now. It’s a constant process of experimentation. Just when I think I’m satisfied with my pieces, someone busts wicked paint jobs like these.

It may be time for me to order some FMG Italians and step up my painting game.

• '10

They look amazing!!  Thanks for posting.

• @Lozmoid:

Hey Tall Paul, believe me - I would love to paint my own units one day but what a gargantuan task! Maybe… Oh, I’m plenty inspired and have been since people started posting pics of their own paintjobs on this site. I don’t know what holds me back… I’d want to do a decent jobm that’s one thing. And I could use some advice as to the best kind of paint to use, varnish too - stuff like that.

I’ve got some old paints and small brushes but I think I’d like to get some new stuff. If anyone can recommend a particular brand of paint that worked well ofr them, I’d be very grateful to hear about it.

Painting tips and advice :

Wash and dry your pieces thoroughly
    Prime them with Krylon Fusion FLAT/MATTE paint/primer (light coats … 2 if necessary)
    Paint away (Personally I use cheap Micheals brand “Craft Smart” paints at 69 cents a bottle.  Water them down very slightly, mix the colors you need in a separate container, and away you go).

*edit - forgot this step - Ink Wash (50% water, 50% burnt sienna ink.  brush lightly across the piece allowing it to seep into the crevices.  You’ll have to do one side at a time for best effect and it may take some practice or adjusting of the water/ink mixture to get it how you want it to look).

Varnish with a Satin or Gloss, 2 coats (light coats - I use Tremclad spray varnish myself))
    Finish it with a Matte varnish (1 light coat - I recommend Testors Dullcoat … somewhat expensive but it works fantastic with just a very light coat so one can will last quite a while).

• Another superb job by Allworkandnoclay!  /hi5

• '10

Can I post your ITALY units on the FMG Facebook page?

• Customizer

Those ICs do look fantastic.  Especially impressed with the little American flag on the side.  Very realistic and detailed.

I am curious though, why do you want nation-specific ICs?  They do look nice, but that means you will have to be replacing more pieces on the board.  For example;  you have a US controlled territory with one of those nice USA ICs on it.  Germany attacks and takes that territory.  Now you have to replace the IC with a German IC, where if they were “common” pieces used by all nations, you could simply leave the same IC there in that territory.  Also, theoretically, this will mean that you will need to have quite a bit more IC pieces.  Say you have a nice collection of USA ICs but in a certain game, Germany gets really big and starts taking over territories with Allied ICs or plopping down new ICs of their own.  Then you would need many more German ICs because you don’t want to have USA ICs pumping out German units.
    Another example:  Normandy/Bordeaux starts out with a French Minor IC.  Germany takes it so it becomes a German Minor IC.  USA does a D-Day so now it is an American Minor IC.  Paris is liberated so now it’s back to a French Minor IC.
    Maybe I’m just too lazy, but that’s too many IC changes for my liking.  I would just as soon leave the same piece there for any nation to control.  After all, you already have to change the control marker and all the combat pieces involved.  Naval/Air bases and Minor ICs seem to be the only items that aren’t constantly being moved around.

Well, it seems that you are much more invested in your game than I am in mine.  Great looking pieces.  I bet your board looks fabulous.  Kudos to “Allworkandnoclay” for his painstaking work.  I do a little model painting myself and I know how difficult it can be painting such tiny detail.

• Customizer

Lozmoid and Others,

WOW! I just turned around and I’ve got several posts to answer. Well, one at a time I guess.

I also have been a “fan” of “Allworkandnoclay’s” paint jobs since I first saw them.
    Although I’m a somewhat accomplished modeller/painter myself(model trains), and have done paint work for pay, I knew there was NO WAY that I MYSELF could do anywhere near as awesome a paint job as his work on the bases of the Infantry units.

So I determined that I had to get him to at least paint all of my Infantry for me. Let’s see, with the Italian Infantry now on the way the list would so far include:

20-(FMG) Italian Rifle Inf……(Desert Drab scheme)
    20-(OOB) Japanese Inf…(Mainland scheme)
    20-(OOB) Russian Inf…(Flat Drab scheme)
    20-(OOB) U.K.-Pacific(Calcutta) Inf…(Pacific scheme w/“Union Jacks” on their bases)
    12-(OOB) Chinese(Nationalists) Inf.
    12-(OOB) Anzac Inf.
    20-(HBG) U.S. Marines……(w/Camo helmets & USMC insignia bases)
    4- (HBG) U.S. Marine Raiders……(Camo head-to-toe & Raider insignia bases)
    4- (HBG) U.S. Marine Raider ParaMarines(Camo head-to-toe & ParaMarine insignia bases)
    4- (HBG) U.S. Army Paratroopers……(one ea. for 11th, 17th, 82nd, and 101st Airborne
    …Divs. on bases)

The Major and Minor Industrial complexes are “in the works” and will be next.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Lozmoid and Others,

Yes, “Allworkandnoclay” puts a coating over the paint jobs to seal and protect them from chipping. He also scrapes, sands, and fills any indentions in them before washing and painting them. He’s VERY THOROUGH and if you’re interested you should read his thread entitled “Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P” currently on page 9 of the A&A Global-1940 area.

The hard plastic that HBG uses on all of their units seems to flex less than others. I believe my painted units should be treated with the respect that their paint jobs deserve to insure long careers for them, but I also feel that it’s important that they be ENJOYED and PLAYED WITH, albeit in a way not to do them any unecessary harm.

The Paratroopers and U.S. Marine Raiders haven’t entered service yet as I’m sure my opponents(my Dad, brother, and friends) would scream loudly because they don’t also have units of the same types(yet). Hopefully by the end of 2012 we will be able to have all of the new units produced(and painted?). That is, if HBG and FMG don’t have any “factory” problems, “Allworkandnoclay’s” eyes don’t go blind, and I don’t go bankrupt, haha.

Oh, Lozmoid. I really appreciate your opinions and everyone else’s, too. I feel that CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is a good thing and only helps. Like your not caring for the painted windows. I think you’re right. I might not always agree with everyone elses opinions, but I appreciate them none the less.

There are two or three good painting tutorials here on this forum. If you can’t find them let me know and I’ll send you some links or directions to them.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Koba and Others,

@koba:

Sometimes contracting out pays off. These pieces look fantastic.

I think the painted pieces really add to the atmosphere of the game. I’ve been painting (and re-painting) my growing number of A and A pieces for more than ten years now. It’s a constant process of experimentation. Just when I think I’m satisfied with my pieces, someone busts wicked paint jobs like these.

It may be time for me to order some FMG Italians and step up my painting game.

Thanks for the compliment and I couldn’t agree more that “Allworkandnoclay’s” paint jobs are head and shoulders above what I could’ve done myself.

I appologize for “busting these wicked paint jobs on you”(grin) but I hope everyone will enjoy them, and they might inspire some players to paint their own.

Or some like yourself might even buy some of the new HBG or FMG units. And if they get any increase in sales because of these painted units, well that’s just great, too!

I am VERY THANKFUL to both HBG and FMG for their serious financial and time commitments to producing these new units for all of our gaming enjoyment.

Three cheers for HBG and FMG!

Hip, Hip, Hoorah!
    Hip, Hip, Hoorah!
    Hip, Hip, Hoorah!

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

FMG Jeremy,

@FieldMarshalGames:

They look amazing!! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the compliment.

@FieldMarshalGames:

Can I post your ITALY units on the FMG Facebook page?

Yes, it would be fine with me, and I don’t think “Allworkandnoclay” would have any problems with that either. I might suggest that you wait until I get some “builders portraits” of the units on an A&A map, from the front and back. Or you can go ahead and I’ll get the other pics to you later. BTW, the painter’s name is Chad Coffman, a.k.a. “Allworkandnoclay” and my name is Paul Harwell, a.k.a. “Tall Paul”.

I’m especially glad that YOU like them, as they are FMG units.

I, and every other A&A gamer, owe both you Jeremy of FMG, and Doug of HBG, a very big THANK YOU for all of your efforts and financial commitments that you have already made and will continue to do. I can only hope that these painted units might in some small way help boost your sales.

“Tall Paul”

• '10

Thank you very much!  I will wait until your project is near completion and share a number of images in a feature.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m