• How many of you are ready for the Hobbit to hit the movies? What is your favorite charactor in the book or movies?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I am more excited for this movie coming out than any other since The Dark Knight came out. And it just barely beats out The Dark Knight Rises in terms of anticipation. From the trailer and the production videos it looks like it will be just as good as The Lord of the Rings… I get more and more excited every time I watch the trailer again.

Anyone interested in the movie needs to be following this website:  http://www.thehobbitblog.com/  They have already put up four 10-minute production videos which are excellent. And they add more as time goes on.

Still it’s about 11 months away… at least we get Batman in the meantime.

PS - I just found out from production video #4 that while the Hobbiton set in NZ had to be taken down after LOTR filming, the owners of the land had them make it out of permanant materials for The Hobbit… so it will be Hobbiton forever now. I am definitely taking a trip to Mata Mata some day.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I will watch it.  I reserve the right to hate it like the animated Hobbit movie.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOLOLOL

People are REALLY excited about Batman?  LOLOLOL.

I will summate all the qualitative addition my words have on this topic by saying: yes.

GG

@Gargantua:

LOLOLOL

People are REALLY excited about Batman?  LOLOLOL.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOO!!!

• @Cmdr:

I will watch it.  I reserve the right to hate it like the animated Hobbit movie.

The animated Hobbit was something aweful.

• the biggest disappointment when I was young, was realizing that they never finished the animated LOTR.  First time I watched it, I couldn’t believe that it was ended and that there really was no sequel.

For what it is the animated Hobbit and Return of the King weren’t that bad, unless you really dislike folk music . . .

plus my generation didn’t have the luxury of the Peter Jackson version to compare to.

• I thought the Hobbit cartoon as a kid was cool.  Haven’t seen it since then.

I’ve only seen the first LOTR movie.  It was pretty meh to me.  I was already burnt out on fantasy at that point and I had never read the books, so I didn’t have anything invested in them.

I read the Hobbit two years ago, it was entertaining enough.  Then I started to read the first book of LOTR that I’ve had forever.  I put it down around 70 pages in because I had no interest in reading The Hobbit 2.  I also grimaced anytime there was singing, and glad I didn’t watch more of the movies in case they included the inane singing.

I haven’t seen any previews for the Hobbit, and I doubt I’ll go see it.  I don’t see many movies in theaters anyway…

@Jermofoot:

I thought the Hobbit cartoon as a kid was cool.  Haven’t seen it since then.

I’ve only seen the first LOTR movie.  It was pretty meh to me.  I was already burnt out on fantasy at that point and I had never read the books, so I didn’t have anything invested in them.

I read the Hobbit two years ago, it was entertaining enough.  Then I started to read the first book of LOTR that I’ve had forever.  I put it down around 70 pages in because I had no interest in reading The Hobbit 2.  I also grimaced anytime there was singing, and glad I didn’t watch more of the movies in case they included the inane singing.

I haven’t seen any previews for the Hobbit, and I doubt I’ll go see it.  I don’t see many movies in theaters anyway…

Bah Humbug Mr. Scrooge.

• @LHoffman:

@Jermofoot:

I thought the Hobbit cartoon as a kid was cool.�  Haven’t seen it since then.

I’ve only seen the first LOTR movie.�  It was pretty meh to me.�  I was already burnt out on fantasy at that point and I had never read the books, so I didn’t have anything invested in them.

I read the Hobbit two years ago, it was entertaining enough.�  Then I started to read the first book of LOTR that I’ve had forever.�  I put it down around 70 pages in because I had no interest in reading The Hobbit 2.�  I also grimaced anytime there was singing, and glad I didn’t watch more of the movies in case they included the inane singing.

I haven’t seen any previews for the Hobbit, and I doubt I’ll go see it.�  I don’t see many movies in theaters anyway…

Bah Humbug Mr. Scrooge.

Really?  I said I liked the cartoon when it got bashed in here.  I also intended to give Tolkien his due when it comes to fantasy books, but forgot to.

Seriously though, the only people that I’ve seen that think the movies are great are the people who read the books all the time.  Definitely due  a nod when it comes to the fantasy genre, but crowded out by more contemporary novels and miscellany.  Have yet to hear anyone call them terrible either.

I honestly feel that Conan the Barbarian is a superior fantasy movie.  The first LOTR movie felt far too much fan service/companion to the novel than a movie the typical person can readily enjoy.  Nothing wrong with it, it’s just what it is.

FWIW, I’m not particular on Harry Potter either, although some may slight me for comparing them.

@Jermofoot:

Really?� � I said I liked the cartoon when it got bashed in here.� � I also intended to give Tolkien his due when it comes to fantasy books, but forgot to.

FWIW, I’m not particular on Harry Potter either, although some may slight me for comparing them.

No offense intended, and I cannot begrudge you an opinion, it’s just that you seemed pretty cynical about it. I mean, if you don’t care for the movies and you can barely stomach what makes up LOTR (books)… well, I guess you just don’t like Tolkien very much. Like you said, it is what it is. Though I will admit that people who don’t read the books (and the larger scope of Tolkien’s work) can only superficially appreciate LOTR’s quality.

And I am no fantasy junkie or connoisseur myself. In fact, Tolkien is it for me. I read Dune (once) and liked it, but that is more science fiction anyway, which I read more of. So I can’t debate in the larger world of fantasy because I really have no experience there.

I am not sure if I saw the animated Hobbit or not, but if it is anything like the animated Lord of the Rings I will venture to say that it sucks.

As for Harry Potter, I read up to the 4th book (years ago) and found them very enthralling. No where near as deep as Tolkien, but a good read nonetheless. The movies: well, I haven’t seen any of them, but in previews and reviews from others, they don’t seem to be that great. Juvenile even. Like watching The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but more teenage and a bit darker.

• Customizer

@corriganbp:

the biggest disappointment when I was young, was realizing that they never finished the animated LOTR.  First time I watched it, I couldn’t believe that it was ended and that there really was no sequel.

For what it is the animated Hobbit and Return of the King weren’t that bad, unless you really dislike folk music . . .

plus my generation didn’t have the luxury of the Peter Jackson version to compare to.

Didn’t the animated Return of the King feature the song, “Where there’s a whip, there’s a way” sung by orcs?  Fantastic song… I recall chanting that as a kid.  :evil:

EH eh eh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

“Where there’s a whip, there’s a way”  I recall chanting that as a kid

LOL I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

“Where there’s a whip, there’s a way”  I recall chanting that as a kid

LOL I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

Eh eh eh - nope.  And I have the feeling that you too are one of the ones who rooted for the orcs?

Hate to say it… but on occasion I still chant the song… usually on the way to work after a long weekend.  :roll:

LOL Ssshhh,  keep my secret!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m