Global 2nd edition rules….Alpha +3 is done!

• I don’t know if anyone posted this somewhere else in another thread or something, but  Alpha +3 will be the second edition rules and they are finished.

Please see a post by Larry:

@Larry:

cond1024
    I hear ya Questioneer! Everyday I come to this site hoping to hear from Larry or see a final version, but everyday I am disappointed when all I see is more blah blah crap on the alpha 3 thread.

I’m sorry folks… It seems that I may have left some unfinished business out there for some of you.
    Things were pretty clear to me… On November 3 this Alpha effort was to be wrapped up, and so it was.
    The Alpha 3 as officially posted is pretty much where this game is  http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149.  Now I’m working on getting a new set of rules published for the 2nd editions of AAPac40 and AAEur40.  When I have some new information or something I think you should know – I’ll let you know.

If you have a question or two or something you’d like to talk about let me know…

Larry

• Sponsor

@gsh34:

I don’t know if anyone posted this somewhere else in another thread or something, but  Alpha +3 will be the second edition rules and they are finished.

Please see a post by Larry:

@Larry:

cond1024
    I hear ya Questioneer! Everyday I come to this site hoping to hear from Larry or see a final version, but everyday I am disappointed when all I see is more blah blah crap on the alpha 3 thread.

I’m sorry folks… It seems that I may have left some unfinished business out there for some of you.
    Things were pretty clear to me… On November 3 this Alpha effort was to be wrapped up, and so it was.
    The Alpha 3 as officially posted is pretty much where this game is  http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149.  Now I’m working on getting a new set of rules published for the 2nd editions of AAPac40 and AAEur40.   When I have some new information or something I think you should know – I’ll let you know.

If you have a question or two or something you’d like to talk about let me know…

Larry

For better or worst, at least it’s done…… HOORRAAYYYYY

• I agree  It’s time to play the heck outta alpha 3 and see what happens instead of what might happen There are enough players with different opinions that should play each other  to make it work

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Wow, that sucks…he shoved a bunch of useless changes on us at the last minute and then drops it?

• Customizer

Can’t the Alpha+3 rules also be applied to Europe 40 and Pacific 40?  The only major difference is that Russia is not included in Pacific 40 and in Europe 40 Japan can’t bring the USA into the war.

• @knp7765:

Can’t the Alpha+3 rules also be applied to Europe 40 and Pacific 40?  The only major difference is that Russia is not included in Pacific 40 and in Europe 40 Japan can’t bring the USA into the war.

The NOs for the theater specific games may be different.  I think that is one of the hang ups from my understanding.

• Customizer

Good.  A stable rule set.

Let the bidding begin.

@jim010:

Good.  A stable rule set.

Let the bidding begin.

I bid 32 IPC.  2 Fighters for England (make up for all the units ganked from them) and 2 armor from India (make up for their paper hat style defensive ability.)

• Is there anything wrong with bidding? AA 50 seemed to work ok with it or is it that larry misrepresents alpha 3 as being balanced?

@morrel:

Is there anything wrong with bidding? AA 50 seemed to work ok with it or is it that larry misrepresents alpha 3 as being balanced?

Nothing at all.

• Didn’t you use to dislike bids?

@Zallomallo:

Didn’t you use to dislike bids?

I used to think the game was pretty balanced back in Anniversary and for the most part, Alpha 2 with some minor caveats thrown in (such as a gentleman’s agreement not to attack London before Round 5).

Now without said gentleman’s agreement, England has no chance at all of surviving until Round 5 unless they are given some serious equipment back.

• LOL anniversary is balanced. LOL Jen you make me laugh. The bids are 13 or more.

@theROCmonster:

LOL anniversary is balanced. LOL Jen you make me laugh. The bids are 13 or more.

Let me rephrase… Back in the old days (like what, last year?) we pretty much thought Anniversary was balanced.

Now, if the bid is 13 ipc today (not disputing it) then it’s more balanced than any of the other versions of the game.  Classic had 14-20 ipc bids, Revised had 15 IPC bids give or take, Anniversary (you say) has a 13 ipc bid and Alpha 3 has (I say) a 30 IPC bid minimum.  That’s best as I can reckon, anyway, don’t take it as no gospel!  Been a LONG arse time since I done pulled out my revised board, not to say anything bout dem dere classic, ya’hear?

• but what are your rules on bidding. What if UK builds 5 subs for his bid?

• revised bid is at 7 with dice and 9 with LL.

• @Cmdr:

Wow, that sucks…he shoved a bunch of useless changes on us at the last minute and then drops it?

WHat has he changed since late october?

• @theROCmonster:

but what are your rules on bidding. What if UK builds 5 subs for his bid?

i was just thinking along the same line.

(subs or AC + fig, or BB + something or whatever other combination of fleet. Or stack Egypt… or Med fleet :D )

Edit: just a better set-up will be fine

@ghr2:

@Cmdr:

WHat has he changed since late october?

Nothing, but late October to early November isn’t enough time to really play test anything and there are a lot of things to play test.

As for bidding rules, I am heavily leaning towards limiting Alpha 3 tournament and league games to bids for +/- AA Guns only in a blind bid format.  I can, of course, still be talked out of it and into some other form of bidding for the 2012 AA40 League.  (I can also be talked into using the Delta 1 rules for the league…_)

• '10

@Cmdr:

As for bidding rules, I am heavily leaning towards limiting Alpha 3 tournament and league games to bids for +/- AA Guns only in a blind bid format.

Just out of curiosity, why ?

What’s wrong with letting people bid what they want ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m