Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements

• Hey!

I have a question about the terrains rules modifiers to movements. I’m not sure to clearly understand the wording of the rule or how to interpret it. I had the discussion with friends and we can’t figure out what the rule mean.

The mountain rule (1.8 on page 8): “All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules. Units cannot blitz across an Enemy Mountain border or into Mountain terrain”.

Let’s take an example: I have 1 medium tank on the territory called “A”. I want to go to a territory called “C”. To do that I have to pass by another territory called “B”.

-First situation, the “C” territory is a mountain, am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?

-Second situation, the “B” territory is a mountain, am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?

-Third situation, the “A” territory is a mountain, am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?

Thanks for your answer!

• @didier_de_dax

First situation - Is territory “B” a mountain territory in this situation as well? If yes, then no you would not be able to attack territory “C” from territory “A” if you have to cross a mountainous territory “B”. If territory “B” is not mountains then yes, you could make the attack.

Second situation - I guess this gets wrapped into my questions for the first situation (sorry about that). The answer is no, you can’t move a second space if the first space you move to is a mountain territory.

Third situation - Similar to the first situation. If territories “B” and “C” are not mountainous then yes, your tank can attack to territory “C”. The fact that they start in a mountain territory doesn’t affect this movement as per 1.7:
    The territory you are standing in does not count (assume you are standing right at the border).

I hope that helps! Point being, if you have to cross a mountain territory to reach your destination, you would not be able to move the two spaces to attack. This is also true in the event that you own territory “B” as well. It wouldn’t be a blitz attack since you own territory “B”, but if it is mountainous you still cannot move a second space through that territory to attack “C”.

• @didier_de_dax said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

I dont know about the other two situations fut for your third

-Third situation, the “A” territory is a mountain, am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?

See Eretta: “The territory you are standing in does not count (assume you are standing right at the border). The first territory you move into determines the type of terrain.”

So if you start in mountains you can make it to zone C.

• Thank you both for your answers !
    @Chris_Henry and @insaneHoshi

I should have read the errata first as always, my bad!

And for your question Chris, In the first situation “B” territory isn’t a mountain.

• @didier_de_dax situation 1 yes situation 2 no sit 3 yes (terrain in the territory you start in doesn’t effect your movement , only territory you are traveling THROUGH or attempting to travel through.

• Thanks again for your answers.
    I have another question related to the terrain movement restrictions, specifically about the border.
    I don’t know if it need to be another topic, since it’s a related stuff.

“terrain in the territory you start in doesn’t effect your movement, only territory you are travelling THROUGH or attempting to travel through”.

So, let’s take the initial situation:

I have 1 medium tank on the territory called “A”. I want to go to a territory called “C”. To do that I have to pass by another territory called “B”.

-First situation, there is a mountain border in the “B” territory, on the frontier with the “A” territory. Am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?

-Second situation, there is a mountain border on the frontier between the “B” and “C” territory. Am I still able to reach the “C” territory with my medium tank?
    In this situation it’s not necessary to precise on witch territory the mountain border is I think.

I think that this topic give the answer, but I’m not sure : https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/37413/terrain-movement-restrictions/13

• @didier_de_dax 1. NO 2. NO

• @didier_de_dax
    @theveteran said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

@didier_de_dax 1. NO 2. NO
    I have a slightly different answer.

1. No, because as you cross that mountain border between A and B, that ends the armor’s movement.
    2. Yes, because the roundel for territory B is in clear terrain and only has a mountain border between B and C. You may cross into C, incurring the mountain penalty as you do so.

I’ll be interested to see what others say. The Veteran says he’s only wrong 5% of the time, so my odds aren’t good!

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast

Based on the mountain rules in 1.8 mountain borders I feel still affect movement , and since the tank already moved 1, the rule would state that you cannot move 2 and would stop
    The tank I. It’s tracks so I stand by No for both.

• @theveteran
    So does that mean I can’t blitz from Aquitaine to Northern Italy through Southern France since there is a mountain on the border between Southern France and Northern Italy ?

• @spartantom that’s how I would play but maybe this should be verified by an official source.

• @spartantom said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

@theveteran
    So does that mean I can’t blitz from Aquitaine to Northern Italy through Southern France since there is a mountain on the border between Southern France and Northern Italy ?

This is the disagreement between The Veteran and myself. I say you can go from Aquitaine to Northern Italy with armor, he says you can’t.

But we both agree you cannot go from Northern Italy to Aquitaine with armor.

• @theveteran
    Ok thank you very much, just to explain myself more clearly my reasoning was:

Because the rule 1.7 says “assume you are standing right at the border”. So, my guess was: I start at the border of Aquitaine and then go to the roundel in Southern France, no mountains. Then second move I stand at the border of Southern France and go to the Northern Italy’s roundel. In that case I didn’t cross the mountain border between Southern France and Northern Italy, but I might be wrong.

@theveteran
    Ok thank you very much, just to explain myself more clearly my reasoning was:

Because the rule 1.7 says “assume you are standing right at the border”. So, my guess was: I start at the border of Aquitaine and then go to the roundel in Southern France, no mountains. Then second move I stand at the border of Southern France and go to the Northern Italy’s roundel. In that case I didn’t cross the mountain border between Southern France and Northern Italy, but I might be wrong.

You do assume you are standing right at the border, but don’t forget the part about “the territory you are standing in does not count.” You are right at the border and the moment you cross into the next territory is when it affects you.

• @spartantom the 2nd move is considered roundel to roundel : not border to roundel .

• @theveteran
    I see, does that mean I also get the river penalty then ?

@hbg-gw-enthusiast
    Yes that’s what I assumed too

@theveteran
    I see, does that mean I also get the river penalty then ?

Yes, when going from Northern Italy to Southern France, you face the river penalty.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast the very first territory you start in you are considered to be at the border (therefore not affected by the territory you start in) but the rest of the movement is roundel to roundel

• @spartantom yes you get the River penalty

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast
    Yes of course, I know that. My question was: since @theveteran says the second move is roundel to roundel, do you get the river penalty in addition since there is a river in Southern France when you go from Aquitaine to Northern Italy? So, the movement isn’t allowed since there is a mountain at the border however, if I understood well, if you have a cavalry in Aquitaine and you possess Southern France if you do a combat move into Northern Italy through Southern France you will suffer river penalty (on the first round obviously) since there is a river between the roundels and you have to consider all terrain modifier that are between the roundels for the second movement.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m