Am I the only one pissed that this has turned into a KGF?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@crimhead:

Not me - I think this is a KIF game all the way!  :D

I am actually leaning that way now that I’ve successfully gotten Italy up to 124 IPC income per round.  They’re nasty those Italians!  Do not underestimate the fascists!

• Whoa!  :-o A monster Italy! If monster Japan is Godzilla, Italy is …. mmmm… Super Mario?  :mrgreen:

• How in the 9 hells could you get Italy to 124?…

I mean… even if you had Africa and you had raped russians, then took india, considering the plundering bonus it would be impossible to get to 124…

guess it must be a typo…

• I don’t think Italy could get to 124 ipc against decent players  :roll:

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Trust me, you’re definitely not the only one irritated by this.

The game is balanced, its just you that play it wrong.

Man that statement is so far off the mark, its almost not worth addressing.  :-D
    By that logic, every version of A&A is balanced. All you have to do is ignore the winning strategies, which the game mechanics recommend, and make esoteric purchasing decisions in the first round. But there’s a reason nobody does that… because they want to win the game.

The one directional playstyle should be taken seriously, and accounted for/discouraged by the rules and the starting unit set up. Especially since this has been like the one unequivocal complaint that everyone keeps voicing, across all the editions so far.  Fix the KGF already!  Put more Allied production in the South Pacific, so the Allies are forced to fight a Pacific war. ;)

• Sorry I’m new to the forum, what is kjf and kgf?

• Kill Japan First and Kill Germany First

KGF is sending all you can to Germany while mainly ignore Japan

Any strat involving USA sending a fleet to Pacific ocean is usually called KJF

• @Flying:

I think if I am Japan I send 80% of my fleet to the Atlantic. Go towards India, smash it, then to the Med.

If you see KGF going you can also send 100% of your fleet to Alaska, smash it, then threaten Canada, Western US and Mexico.

It can be global war if you make it global war.

• i think a point to remember is, if every player is a descent and observant one, then the game can be kept global. as soon as an opening is left by any player, his/her enemies should rush at it like a bull at a gate

• Its hard not to KGF when they are so weak and tempting.  Italy being a seperate power makes it much more advantageous.  You can take apart the european axis peicmeal.

• I do not agree with you on the stated weakness of Italy.

Since they start with a decent fleet, it will take some time for the americans to mess with them and they will be able to take africa while defending france for the germans. Plus they start out of the gate with a fair amount of tanks. I actually think they are not to be underestimated.

Hell you can even combine with germany to launch two attacks on caucasus each turn.
    they can get to a decent production if they can control Africa… like 20-25 ipcs.

But I really think that their main strenght is the fleet they can use to control the mediterranean.

• @Black_Elk:

Trust me, you’re definitely not the only one irritated by this.

I’ll be so freaking pissed if the dominant strategy for AA50 ends up being  KGF all again…  :x

• just because a KGF strategy is still possible, doesn’t mean it’s the best course of action. if allies pay more of their attention to germany, then they will pay the price for turning a blind-eye to japan

• I play with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. Thay are both inexperienced. They played many games of Revised against each other but I only played about 6 games with them. I refuse to use a KGF strat and they have no idea about the strat. So it hasn’t even come up yet in AA50.

Yes you can win the game by using a balanced attack using the Allies. It’s probably a 50-50 game at that point(haven’t played enough to be sure). But if you use a KGF strat your odds probably go up to 65-35. So why not go KGF in a tourney when you looking at gaining some prizes or prestige amoung us freaks. I wouldn’t do it against my inexperienced opponents. In my games as the allies they have left the 2 CVs within striking range after PH(they will learn in time)

The key to Japan and Italy is to never leave your fleet vulnerable to attack. Don’t leave any stragglers out there to be picked off. Always be using them but pull back even when the allies could be in position for an even battle. Make the allies BUILD a large enough fleet to conquer you……this takes lots of time. Time the allies don’t have. Play cat and mouse and you win. I see my in laws make this mistake every game.

• @Flying:

The key to Japan and Italy is to never leave your fleet vulnerable to attack. Don’t leave any stragglers out there to be picked off. Always be using them but pull back even when the allies could be in position for an even battle. Make the allies BUILD a large enough fleet to conquer you……this takes lots of time. Time the allies don’t have. Play cat and mouse and you win. I see my in laws make this mistake every game.

With transports no longer available as fodder and bombers only $12, I think it will be even easier to kill a fleet.

• TripleA

This isn’t a KGF game. It can be a KIF. Hell I did a KJF but we were playing without the national objectives.

• No, I am too.  The game is won or lost on the Russian Steppes irrespective of what happens in the Pacific or Asia.  That is because the Allies will go full speed ahead to rescue Moscow (dumping as many land units into Europe as they can) and Japan will try to send as many land forces (IC in India and/or Manchuria) as it can into Russia.  So it is in the main a land and air war.  Shame about those beautiful warships.
    One way of overcoming this is to say that Berlin and Rome cannot be occupied unless Japan’s income is reduced to say 12 IPC.

• I feel a lot of bad Karma coming for this but here it goes…

I understand your gripe but in real life Russia and UK didn’t know how involved the US was going to be so they faught the local Axis units Germany and Italy.  When the US did get involved they pulled a SJF then stright to KGF for the most part.

Like I said I understand your gripe but they did want to keep it how it was in '41 and '42.

Another way they could have changed this to make it go KGF or KJF and stayed accurate would have been to make a AUSSY / New Zeland player and beefed up China to become its own player.

The reason it goes KGF is because the only ally that has to export a war is the US.  The other two fight locally.  What’s the point of taking Japan when Parlament and the Kremlin and in a strangle hold or captured?

If you added two small allied players to the Pacific like I outlined above they will fight locally as well.  Then the US player will decide Germany or Japan.

But if the game was designed that way every one would have griped that the allies could hold their own without the US adding them just makes them way to powerful.

LT

• The point is to have a war game that encompasses all 3 arms.  We are not discussing historical accuracy, if we did, the Axis are doomed everytime.  my suggestion about not occupying Berlin or Rome until Japan’s income is reduced is to make the Allies build fleets to challenge the mighty Japanese Imperial Navy.

I’m not convinced yet that you can get away with ignoring Japan, it certainly isn’t a pleasant thing to see them at ~60 ipc by rd 3 with the ability to grow more.  It would be nothing to them to constantly drop off 6 inf to Ala (18 ipc) and still have 40+ to send to Mos.
    Thus forcing the US at some point to deal with the Pac.  And if this is the case it would be much better for the US to get an early jump they wait for Japan to strike when they have the clear advantage.

But assuming it is proven through the game that Japan at 70+ ipc is no threat and the Pac is ignored in 90% of games, I think the only way to increase fighting is to boost the ipcs there.  IMO NO’s don’t do it.
    HI should be worth 4 ipc and Midway worth 2 ipc. 
    CUS drops down to 2-3 ipc to compensate.  Afterall in order to get CUS you’ll probably need either WUS or EUS or at least the ability to threaten them significantly and that right there is good enough.
    I’d consider making Ala 3 ipc as well.
    Drop WUS to 8 ipc putting it on par with Japan
    ALL Pac islands should be at least 1 ipc.
    US should still earn 40-44 to start.

This now gives the US the incentive to fight in the Pac, they can gain financially, while hurting Japan, by picking off the cheap islands on the edges.  Otherwise the only way for the US to gain IPC is Alg/Lib or Nor and UK usually claims them, or they get WE or SE which of course happens in KGF games.
    Also with HI/Mid/Ala worth 8-9 ipc it is no longer possible to write them off and not be crippled economically.  That would swing a 30 ipc Japan to 38 and drop a 40 US to 32.  Now add in some of Asia and Japan could be at ~45 compared to 32 for the US.  Now maybe it isn’t out the question to go after WUS.  And if you give Chi and Sin back to the US they could be at 28-30!  No way US writes off HI and Midway.

Also a 4 ipc HI could give Japan the ability to buy an IC there and really go after WUS esp if WUS is 8.
    Maybe the US buys an IC for HI to go after Japan?

Obviously you’d have to adjust sea zones and starting units but I don’t think it’d be that hard.  I’d probably put as few naval units on the board as possible to open that up to the players.  US can start with a dd/ac/ftr at Pearl and Jap can start with 1 ac, and about 6-7 planes within range.  This would pretty much guarantee Pearl is cleared but the US wouldn’t need to counter and the Pac is now cleared of most ships, again giving the players the chance to decide how to proceed.  J has a BB and trns somewhere and the US can have a BB at WUS with a few ftrs at HI or WUS to make it clear that bringing in the J AC to Pearl would be stupid.  So after J1 you’d have Japan with 1 AC, 1 BB, and maybe 1 dd (or ca), that wasn’t in range of Pearl, for Capital ships and few planes flying around, plus whatever they buy.  The US would have 1 BB plus some planes and they can immediately beef up their navy.

I’d also give the US direct control of China and it’s ipcs/terrritories again.  I’m not sure I see the point in a Minor power if they are just there for fodder.  You can accomplish the same thing by adjusting the starting inf and ipc values of any of those territories.

Also the US shouldn’t start with a trn in the Atlantic maybe just a DD.  Now since the US player has to buy trns regardless of theatre it might be just as feasible to buy 2 for the Pac as it would be to buy 2 for the Atlantic.

Part of the reason KGF seems so obvious is the US already starts with a trn out there and is in immediate position to shuck 2 units to the UK or Afr (as well as the financial gain of Europe).  Give them a DD (or CA) to support the UK, and maybe a few more inf on Wus, Cus, or Eus but not the trn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m