• No i didnt do anything. You have already accomplished that task very well.

I will present a file tomorrow.

• @Cmdr:

I was trying to be funny, hun.

I don’t think the Hun has any sense of humour that he is aware of

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Honestly, I like that Kazakh runs the entire length of the Sinkiang border.

I dunno about all the extra territories in Europe though.  If they were more square or hexagon instead of triangular (they strike me as triangular, maybe it’s just me) it would be better, I think.

• The distance from the border of German occupied Russia to Berlin is like 4.5 inches and thats not gonna do any good for stacking pieces. It will swamp all of europe. It needs to be double that at least.

Perhaps you cut off the waste on the south and north and stretch it out.

Also RGB is not good. Use CMYK for colors for better variations

• I’ve been waiting for months anyone to upload a good .ai file – look forward to seeing yours.

Thanks.

• @Cmdr:

Honestly, I like that Kazakh runs the entire length of the Sinkiang border.

Oh no. Thats a mistake!
    The AAR map is a redraw. It shall be functionally the same as OOB.
    Interesting though. We’ll see if AARHE map can incorporation correct CMYK /Sinkiang border.
    Maybe my new topic name is misleading. I need to change that again.

I dunno about all the extra territories in Europe though.  If they were more square or hexagon instead of triangular (they strike me as triangular, maybe it’s just me) it would be better, I think.

Thick blacklines are territory borders.
    Dotted lines are just modern national borders.
    Its more distinct on the high-res.

@Imperious:

The distance from the border of German occupied Russia to Berlin is like 4.5 inches and thats not gonna do any good for stacking pieces. It will swamp all of europe. It needs to be double that at least.
    Perhaps you cut off the waste on the south and north and stretch it out.

I prefer not to distort the continent lines.
    I’ll leave that to the user whether to print it larger than 4x6 A4s or trim/stretch.

Also RGB is not good. Use CMYK for colors for better variations

Is it significant? We only have a few colours.
    For the high-res export I needs to transfer from illustrator to photoshop. In photoshop I can’t export PNG with CMYK.

@Raider:

I’ve been waiting for months anyone to upload a good .ai file – look forward to seeing yours.
    Thanks.

Yeah I can upload the .ai file.
    I used layers so you can toggle items and between AAR and AARHE.

• fixed Argentina west coast from strange straight line
    changed island north of Norway to Norway colour
    adjusted Norway sea zone
    added missing connection between z56 and z63
    added missing caroline islands
    added missing midway island
    added missing wake island

2008-01-27 AAR
    .pdf
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fyjutdy5gmd

2008-01-27 AARHE
    .pdf
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ajxgtrxurlj

2008-01-27 AAR/AARHE
    .ai
    has layers, can toggle between AAR and AARHE
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3vnkngtdi0e

• I looked very closely at this map.

Its a brilliant project.

I believe in its merits except I think if you get rid of the idea of including the useless north Canadian and North Russian land and cut off the south and lastly drag the north american continent close to Europe, you can be default enlarge Europe about 40% w/o losing or stretching.

Thus you lose the ‘distortion’ but get the playing area you need.

also, i think the map should be converted to AARHE 1939 and the Stage 2 map with Italy as well as a normal AAR version.

I am making a mock up of what i think could be done and will post.

Also, the black lines should be white if your going with a dark ocean.

• http://www.mediafire.com/?fmxndxjvt0u

http://www.mediafire.com/upload_complete.php?id=z4aismgjqyt

also here is the set up file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmzlyvw37yz

http://www.mediafire.com/upload_complete.php?id=iym5wbmjzx9

I think you will need to add some text thats similar in each case to what we have under the PDF’s that are still around.

Id also add the starting IPC values along with the name of the nation is some nice script ( font)

• I actually tried what you did in that edit too.
    At you can also see from your edit, trimming alone doesn’t make Europe significantly bigger.

Western Europe to West Russia x Norway to Southern Europe
    (inclusive)

before 23 x 24cm
    after 26 x 27cm

To get to 30cm we need to shrink the ocean.
    But thats distorting the map and not the point of this map.
    It needs to show people where things really are, the proportions…
    Where Midway is actually about midway between Japan and US, rather than an Alaskan island like in original map.

Now, yes we could take the material from this project to make-pretty the AARHE project though.
    I’ll discuss that idea, and the AARHE setup IPC thing over there.

• Then the only solution is to make the map larger. I suggest about 8 foot map by 4 foot.

An alternative is to make one slight change…  The eastern side of Russia is rather longated due to the projection you obtained is based on the projection of the globe as round.  If you pushed only the edge of Soviet Union you would get more space. Ill try and you can have a look.

What do you think about the white outline? It makes the land ‘pop’ out better

Also you gonna make the text for cities and such. The words “snowy and mountains” look awfully lonely and strange

• Yeah I could go bigger. 4 x 7 A4s is my dinning table.

That takes Europe to 30cm, including trimming off central North America.
    Thats 2079mm or ~82" long.

I selected this map projection because I have to slice North America and the rectangular world map is easiest to warp around.

Actually this map projection distorts the corners of the map.
    Not actually true area lol.
    Only true relative location in a square grid style somewhat.

Maybe a different map projection can save space.

The free vector maps I got online were…

BlankMap-World6.svg
    Carte_du_monde_vierge_(Allemagnes_séparées).svg
    Worldmap_wdb_combined.svg
    Goode’s projection.eps
    Miller projection.eps <- using
    Morwidy projection.eps
    Robinson projection.eps

• Yes thats a good point. Best to find a projection thats flattering to Europe in a way where its accurate but will allow it to look larger by other means. If your starting out with a map that has a view of the land continents as a longer than usual aesthetic then Europe will be too small and the map will have to be made larger.

• Ok here a decent version. German Europe is now 15 inches across which is playable.

I didn’t reset your tokens or sea borders…only the land territory’s.  it looks like a normal map except Greenland was reduced as was the north/south and east/west borders of your three main land masses. map is not 8 foot wide.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eyhmxhpn2yb

http://www.mediafire.com/upload_complete.php?id=xxmx1mmmmjs

• 15 inches?
    we break a lot to get to 15 inches
    which is only playable but not cool

(the existing AARHE map is 17.5 inches)

we don’t need to go half way

for real map it’ll be about projection and warping
    we’ll discuss that here

for AARHE update we can stretch, distort, etc
    we’ll discuss that at “latest AARHE”
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10338.0

btw, your map IS 8 foot

• tekkyy:

Thanks for the .ai map.  I have had no luck in locating a freeware copy (anyone now of an .ai vector map like this with the 1939 borders  :-D)

Nice start toward a real-looking map.  I look forward to seeing what you come-up with.

In the future, I looking to produce a real-looking worldwide map on the scale of A&AE.  Thanks again

Cheers,
    Raider

• 15 inches?
    we break a lot to get to 15 inches
    which is only playable but not cool

(the existing AARHE map is 17.5 inches)

Ok then how many inches is both playable and cool? I think 15 is a great break even point because any smaller and its too crowded. I printed out a actual size sheet of German occupied Russia and its decent.

The only changes to get to that point were reduction on positions that normally are not played of the map ( s America, far north Soviet Union)

Also, you want to be able to pass thru the north pole? then why waste board space on sea zones that cut all the way over to Alaska?

Also,
    The 1939 AARHE map is not 8 feet wide its exactly double the size of original map and that map is not 4 feet wide.

• @Raider:

Thanks for the .ai map.  I have had no luck in locating a freeware copy (anyone now of an .ai vector map like this with the 1939 borders  :-D)

You could use the 30 days free trial of Illustrator.
    Inkscape (open source) can read some illustrator files.
    You can also convert this to SVG (open format) and edit that instead.

As for a vector map like this with 1939 borders…I can give you the free base map I used and you can go from there.

• @Imperious:

Ok then how many inches is both playable and cool? I think 15 is a great break even point because any smaller and its too crowded. I printed out a actual size sheet of German occupied Russia and its decent.

No need to make a great break even point.
    If you are talking about what we’ll do with the AARHE map, we want roomy territories right?

I am thinking for the AARHE map you just need shapes to be pretty/realistic.
    Like was it is now. And then plenty of room.

Unless you were thinking of moving the AARHE maps towards this “real map” direction…
    Its probably not worth it (unroomy territories).

We’ll take the material mainly to make the AARHE maps prettier.

The only changes to get to that point were reduction on positions that normally are not played of the map ( s America, far north Soviet Union)
    Also, you want to be able to pass thru the north pole? then why waste board space on sea zones that cut all the way over to Alaska?

Yes we would cut it out.
    Recall I am happy with trimming north and south as well as Central America.

Also,
    The 1939 AARHE map is not 8 feet wide its exactly double the size of original map and that map is not 4 feet wide.

No I was referring to your edit of this map.
    It got WEU to WRU to 14.5 inches but you enlarged the map to 96 inches.

• OK then. I made another effort but its not finished. The sea zones are more like OOB ( don’t ask me how)

I also want a “pretty map” and also one that will allow pieces not to be cramped.Its like opposite goals and the trick is to make people think you pulled it off by illusion. I am not happy with the 1939 map for the same reason you desire this more realistic map. Also i dont like the colors and would rather maintain the OOB colors for a 1939 map sake Frogs and Italy.

I think this map could easily be plugged in with phase 2 or 3 info and a ghost image of OOB set up added.

Try to make some nifty fonts that are not “times roman etc…” something with pizzaz but readable.

Also, you want shorelines?

Also, I can make terrain so we dont have to write “mountains and snow” thats kinda cheezy IMO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m