• There comes a time when realism has to give way to playability and fun.

If you want playability then make India impassible and a non-factor in the game

If you want fun make the map without India, assuming a tidal wave took it out just before Dec 41…so you don’t have to deal with it.

Make Sinai into two parts

And Rio De Oro now has nukes.

• @Imperious:

thats why India is only 3 IPC ( which is commensurate with their contribution. Of course if they were assaulted by Japan for 10 years prior to the war… i suppose they would have fully mobilized and committed their entire army for this effort… but thats only potential.

If India is 3 territories on the map I would make their IPC low but some sort of increase per turn while partially under enemy occupation.
    (To model war mobilisation.)

@Ddraiglais:

If you could come up with realistic numbers, then the already disadvantaged Axis would never win. Showing the US’s industrial might might be more realistic, but it wouldn’t be much fun. There comes a time when realism has to give way to playability and fun.

I think thats more of an issue with victory condition. Obviously the game is not much fun if it requires US being conquered to win.
    Allies has quite a substantial economic advantage over Axis.

Alternatively you factor in oil or metals or manpower…
    So Germany takes middle east and UK crumples. A naval blockade to prevent US from getting resources.

• Customizer

But you can’t just devalue a territory because “it was never in the war much”.  You might as well wipe the USA off the map altogether on the grounds that it was never invaded.  The Japanese might have decided to launch an all-out invasion of India if things had gone differently elsewhere, and to limit this battle to just one area is absurd; this would have been a long campaign fought over a wide front.

@Imperious:

The Chinese army was much larger than the Indian army. Also Japan was fighting the war with China since 1931…of course China is more important. Also, India was not really in the war except for its 400K contribution. Otherwise until the last full year of the war  its just shucking a few men to the British, and secondly, helping them repel the Japanese who were really just preempting the coming British offensive in Burma et al.

China bled and lost millions of citizens and soldiers…they were acutely effected in a way that India could never be compared too… thats why India is only 3 IPC ( which is commensurate with their contribution. Of course if they were assaulted by Japan for 10 years prior to the war… i suppose they would have fully mobilized and committed their entire army for this effort… but thats only potential. The game must serve what actually happened…Otherwise , the income basis that was assigned at the starting territories would have been higher…but they only represent what the world was in spring of 42 and THAT potential.

• But you can’t just devalue a territory because “it was never in the war much”.  You might as well wipe the USA off the map altogether on the grounds that it was never invaded.  The Japanese might have decided to launch an all-out invasion of India if things had gone differently elsewhere, and to limit this battle to just one area is absurd; this would have been a long campaign fought over a wide front.

faulty reasoning… Both American and India represents their actual contribution to the war. If we wanted to deal with potential and hypothetical conquest and a 10 years of invading India… then the game would have to account for this fantasy too. But its just sticking to the fact pattern. Thats why axis and allies is called introductory level.

This is not Avalon Hills Third Reich … its an easier game… its a light wargame.

• The simplest rule would to be give them netural army. Something like one inf per turn?

• @Imperious:

There comes a time when realism has to give way to playability and fun.

If you want fun make the map without India, assuming a tidal wave took it out just before Dec 41…so you don’t have to deal with it.

I don’t even know why I’m adressing this post.

Of course I want the game to be as realistic as possible, but you can’t be 100% accurate. I saw somewhere else on these boards where somebody listed the GDP of all the major countries. Using those numbers the US would be able to fight the Axis, UK, and USSR combined. The game has to be a balance between realism and playability. Every version of rules has it’s compromises. There’s no way around it.

• That was my post. You cant make the game accurate based on current information or the game will be too scripted or have playability problems. These games are meant to be light wargames and not uber exact according to every statistic. A game like that would fail.

• @Ddraiglais:

@Imperious:

There comes a time when realism has to give way to playability and fun.

I don’t even know why I’m adressing this post.

Of course I want the game to be as realistic as possible, but you can’t be 100% accurate. I saw somewhere else on these boards where somebody listed the GDP of all the major countries. Using those numbers the US would be able to fight the Axis, UK, and USSR combined. The game has to be a balance between realism and playability. Every version of rules has it’s compromises. There’s no way around it.

that was me but i did it for a modern variant. and i was vary liberal in my rounding to some countries. like a .3 of a piont might get rounded up just to not have a worthless territory. but i found a way to make it work though.

• @Ddraiglais:

Of course I want the game to be as realistic as possible, but you can’t be 100% accurate. I saw somewhere else on these boards where somebody listed the GDP of all the major countries. Using those numbers the US would be able to fight the Axis, UK, and USSR combined. The game has to be a balance between realism and playability.

If you use GDP nominal and just that of course you can’t make a head-on game. (You would have to use asymetric gameplay and victory conditions).

In cyan’s modern variant I sugguested using PPP as well.
    And thats only the beginning really. Money is money only in peace time. So you gotta consider storage and production of metals and oils. Manpower. Gold?

• @tekkyy:

@Ddraiglais:

Of course I want the game to be as realistic as possible, but you can’t be 100% accurate. I saw somewhere else on these boards where somebody listed the GDP of all the major countries. Using those numbers the US would be able to fight the Axis, UK, and USSR combined. The game has to be a balance between realism and playability.

If you use GDP nominal and just that of course you can’t make a head-on game. (You would have to use asymetric gameplay and victory conditions).

In cyan’s modern variant I sugguested using PPP as well.
    And thats only the beginning really. Money is money only in peace time. So you gotta consider storage and production of metals and oils. Manpower. Gold?

yeah i didn’t want to go into excat detail but thanks ot tekkyy i averaged out ppp and nominal to get something playable. i tried implamenting oil( like use monoply money for oil pionts) but i dicedid it was too hard to actually play. thats  why i like victoray cities. made saudia arabia one.

anyway if your talking about world war two and not modern then oil would be vital ,especially for asia. that was the reason for japan’s invovlement in the war and the lack of japnese tanks. i think canada maid more than japan. i don’t really like the oil rules in aa europe they’re not realistic.

• yeah a few house rules went to the details of oil costs for movement
    its probably too much accounting for all but the most “hardcore”

I some sort of victor/oil city would be a neat way to do it
    if one side holds X of Y oil regions for Z turns, they win

ah yeah I think love multiple victory conditions

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m