• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What’s everyone’s favorite bid for AAR - LHTR?

I’ve seen some good ones.  Though, I think I like 2 infantry in libya and 2 IPC for germany.  Let’s the germans have 14 infantry in round 1, a good start.  Also, teh 2 infantry in Libya is usually enough to take Egypt hard enough that England gives up on it.  And if they don’t, it should be easy enough to reclaim on Germany 2.

Though, a second transport for Japan is kinda nice.

Also, the 2nd Transport in SZ 14 seems to be functionable.

Never played against this, but Inf in W. Russia, Arm in Ukraine could be deadly.  Makes it extremely costly for Russia to attack both locations and would most likely save Germany 10 IPC on a lost fighter.

So what’s your favorite?

• I no longer have a favorite.  I think I have used 5 different bids in my last 8 games.

Well, I can tell you there was a time my bid was 24 IPC, battleship in SZ 45. :P

• 2007 AAR League

I like adding Extra Inf into only libya or adding an infantry into ukr and belo
    otherwise a trn in sz 14

• 2007 AAR League

Favorite is either atrn in SZ37 or a Sub in SZ7

• i remember in 98 when on MSN they had a guy who always went for a Russian Battleship if playing with no RR ( Russia Restricted)  and it made the other side laugh to the point that they didn’t see how he used this ship to great effect and the other side lost more than a few games… I never played this guy but a recall MANY postings about him on the old MSN game zones forums. I am not sure that he didn’t get other pieces in addition to the BB for his bid.

I dont know how he won his games, but i suspect he pulled alot of droping off one infantry and getting the shore bombardment every turn as well as the old ‘take Algeria’ move on R1. He probably saved the Brits some money as well so they can have two main fleets.

Or perhaps they let his BB stay with the British fleet so Germany would lose 2 extra planes taking out the British fleet…if after having an extra battleship the Germans didn’t even try to take out the uk fleet.

Transport in SZ 37 is interesting.

Russian Battleship in AA Classic, I presume?  I can see a lot of use for that.  Kill the fleet in BAL with the fighters and the submarine in AZO and land troops in Algeria and hopefully take that too.  Could be a complete nightmare for Germany.

@Imperious:

i remember in 98 when on MSN they had a guy who always went for a Russian Battleship if playing with no RR ( Russia Restricted)  and it made the other side laugh to the point that they didn’t see how he used this ship to great effect and the other side lost more than a few games… I never played this guy but a recall MANY postings about him on the old MSN game zones forums. I am not sure that he didn’t get other pieces in addition to the BB for his bid.

I dont know how he won his games, but i suspect he pulled alot of droping off one infantry and getting the shore bombardment every turn as well as the old ‘take Algeria’ move on R1. He probably saved the Brits some money as well so they can have two main fleets.

Or perhaps they let his BB stay with the British fleet so Germany would lose 2 extra planes taking out the British fleet…if after having an extra battleship the Germans didn’t even try to take out the uk fleet.

Of course the Allies would win that.  In 2nd or 3rd Edition the Axis should be getting 20+ NOT the Allies.
    If anything you should be taking away Russia units.
    Infact, the Axis should lose about 100% of those games with a Russian BB, considering they lose about 95% straight up.

Edit:

Forgot my current bid.  I’ve been going a lot of Trn to Sz 14 with 8 or 3 inf to Lib with 9.

I’m tempted to try trn to Sz 5 but I just think that leaves you too one dimensional.

• yes but Darth im talking about RR…. forcing the Russians to stay put on R1…thats was a big disadvantage for the allies

• 2007 AAR League

a bid of 9, 3 inf to ukraine seems to be effective

• 2007 AAR League

Who agrees to a bid of 9?  :-o  :-o  :-o

Nix, I’ve gotten 13 IPC bids before.  2 Infantry, Armor in Ukraine, 2 IPC to Germany.

Thought, I only bid it when I WANT the allies, I presume my opponent ALSO wants the allies.

• 2007 AAR League

Even if I want to be allies I will never bid higher than 9

• Well, due to a bidding flaw, I once gave up 20 IPC to the Axis.

I still won that game (a very inexperienced player).  It is recorded somewhere on these boards…

Since then typical bid amount is 6-8

@AJ:

I’ll try to remember that. :P

• 2007 AAR League

@Jennifer:

@AJ:

I’ll try to remember that. :P

Haha darn :oops:

• 2007 AAR League

It’s just because I don’t want to play at such a disadvantage

• Is there a standard bid for league or tournament games?

I have a game in progress right now but we are gonna switch after I lose with the Allies and I get a 7 IPC bid.  I’m thinking about 2 Inf Ukraine and 1 IPC Germany.

In the League (at least recently) bids have been fairly common at 7,8, and 9.

You can safely bid 7 and almost be guaranteed to be the Axis.  A 9 bid will probably get you the Allies or worst case a 50-50 shot (due to random selection if tie bid) at the Axis with 3 more inf.
    And an 8 bid still gives you a pretty good shot at being the axis but you don’t really want to risk giving up the 3 inf bid.

I won’t bid lower that 8.  I’ll bid 8 if I want the Axis or 9 if I don’t care which side I am.
    Either way (as the Allies), I don’t find giving up 8 or 9 particularly scary.

I’ll bid 24 if I want to be the allies. :P

I’ll bid 6 if I want to be the axis.

If I had 7 IPC I would most likely go Infantry, Artillery in Libya
    If I had 8 IPC, non-league game, I’d like to try Infantry in W. Russia and Armor in Ukraine.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m