1914 Map Redesign + 1914 Global Map

• '16

Some thoughts…

Boer Revolt - The British worried about Afrikaner sympathies throughout the war, and put down a minor rebellion involving about 12,000 unreconstructed Boers (the so-called Maritz Rebellion) in 1914. Not sure how to make this a factor in the game without card play, although I suppose you could condition the appearance of a few infantry worth of rebels upon a German victory in South West Africa.

Rumania - Contrary to popular sentiment and the views of his own government, King Carol I was sympathetic to the Central Powers. Romania was in fact signatory to an 1883 defensive treaty with the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Perhaps a bid?

Bulgaria - With its large, competent army, Bulgaria was seen as a prize for both alliance blocs.

The Netherlands - The NEI make the Dutch an economic superpower of sorts. May be worth thinking about how they come into the game.

Russian Civil War - You might look at how Historical Board Gaming does the Spanish Civil War and see if you like any of the approaches they take.

Poland/b] - Maybe a nation that can emerge late in the game?

• @Trenacker:

Some thoughts…

Boer Revolt - The British worried about Afrikaner sympathies throughout the war, and put down a minor rebellion involving about 12,000 unreconstructed Boers (the so-called Maritz Rebellion) in 1914. Not sure how to make this a factor in the game without card play, although I suppose you could condition the appearance of a few infantry worth of rebels upon a German victory in South West Africa.

Rumania - Contrary to popular sentiment and the views of his own government, King Carol I was sympathetic to the Central Powers. Romania was in fact signatory to an 1883 defensive treaty with the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Perhaps a bid?

Bulgaria - With its large, competent army, Bulgaria was seen as a prize for both alliance blocs.

The Netherlands - The NEI make the Dutch an economic superpower of sorts. May be worth thinking about how they come into the game.

Russian Civil War - You might look at how Historical Board Gaming does the Spanish Civil War and see if you like any of the approaches they take.

**Poland/b] - Maybe a nation that can emerge late in the game?

So, first things first, boer revolt. Never thought about it, how about 1 infantry(rebel still needs color) pops up after a German victory in South Africa

Next, Romania. Might make it a dice roll, on whose side it goes to or a bid, might do the same for Bulgaria.

The Netherlands is Interesting to say the least. Since it stayed neutral throughout the war. Maybe if Paris or London falls, they go to war.

The Russian Civil War, hmm. I don’t know how to implement that, like you said looking at global 1936 might help.

Poland, if I did that, then Ukraine, Finland, and the Baltic States would have to be released as well. Might do it though.

Another thing I was considering was having Italy being decided by dice rolls and bids.

Thanks for your post, gave me some great ideas.**

• How Italy enters the war

Since Italy was on the fence until the Entente offered her a treaty in 1915 (Austrian Land Grab), Italy now gets to “choose” which side they fight for. A dice roll is now required for Italy to enter the war. A 20 - sided dice is rolled by Italy, Britain , and Germany at the start of the Italian turn.

Tied / Italy Rolls Higher -    Italy Stays neutral

Germany Rolls Higher -    Italy Joins the Central Powers

Britain Rolls Higher -        Italy Joins the Entente Powers

Britain and Germany can pay 5 IPC’s for a one time +2 to the roll(The number on the dice with the +2 bonus cannot exceed 20 but you can go up to 20 with the bonus). These are purchased on their respective turns. Britain and Germany can only have one each at any given time. If Italy is not at war by turn 4 , It joins the side that has the higher dice roll(France and Austria will roll in this event). If a tie occurs, the dice will be rerolled until one side comes out as the victor. Italy can be attacked by either power. Any foreign movement of troops into Italian territory before its declaration of war is considered an act of war on Italy and it joins the opposite side of the power that attacked Italy.

Any thoughts on this?

• The map should perhaps just feature Europe with middle east and Africa.

The other parts of the globe are a waste to represent. Germany had not more than like 10,000 men and a few light cruisers in total outside of those areas. Who’s gonna fight them and who cares to bother with them?

Japan will capture Tsingtao  ok big deal. Japan will capture Marianas and Carolines  ok big deal. The British hunt down the cruisers… great. Then that half of the map is crickets…

The worst case scenario is the Kaiser invades USA and invades India ( they made plans for this look it up google).

Instead of global map the sideshow areas could be on a smaller scale map showing those assets in boxes or a chain of boxes?

• @Imperious:

The map should perhaps just feature Europe with middle east and Africa.

The other parts of the globe are a waste to represent. Germany had not more than like 10,000 men and a few light cruisers in total outside of those areas. Who’s gonna fight them and who cares to bother with them?

Japan will capture Tsingtao  ok big deal. Japan will capture Marianas and Carolines  ok big deal. The British hunt down the cruisers… great. Then that half of the map is crickets…

The worst case scenario is the Kaiser invades USA and invades India ( they made plans for this look it up google).

Instead of global map the sideshow areas could be on a smaller scale map showing those assets in boxes or a chain of boxes?

So first things first , the map, can you send me that when its done?

The Boxes is what was used in the 1914 game on Triple A. Ill put more detail in the boxes. Ultimately, yes it would be crickets. The boxes are the best way to go in a situation like this. However, I am also creating a Global map on the scale of New World Order with this game and G40. Both boards will have alternate setups(G40, G41,G42) (G14,G16) (E14,E16). Makes the game more interesting.

• will have alternate setups(G40, G41,G42)…

What>? You want to use 1914 borders for a 1940/42 scenario?

• @Imperious:

will have alternate setups(G40, G41,G42)…

What>? You want to use 1914 borders for a 1940/42 scenario?

different game for G40, sorry.

• '16

In the actual war, a German victory in South Africa was never in the cards. Because of the greater randomness created by the dice, it is possible that the lone German infantry in South West Africa could survive an attack by, say, the full garrison of South Africans (say, 2 infantry and 1 cavalry), and later march directly into South Africa. At that point, the Boer revolt is a moot point.

I recommend linking the Revolt to a German combat victory in South West Africa, or else to the arrival of a second German unit (representing, in theory, expanding military capability). At that point, the Germans might receive, say, a free casualty when attacking South Africa, to simulate the fifth columnists. That leads to other questions about how to track and apply the rule consistently, which we can set aside for now.

My opinion is that Rumania and Bulgaria should base their alignment on bids. Alternatively, you can have them align historically, but subject to specific rules that govern how they function as player nations prior to the declaration of war.

If London or Paris fall, the Netherlands would cling to their neutrality in hopes of avoiding the same fate. But, in theory, the Dutch East Indies give something for the German and Japanese players to think about in the Pacific theater of war.

You may also want to play around with the British and the Dutch. Allowing the British to attack Dutch territory in the Indies on the pretext of needing to bolster the defenses at Singapore or prevent abuse of neutrality by German and Austro-Hungarian commerce raiders could create an opportunity for the Dutch to align with the Germans.

To simulate the Russian Civil War, you’d probably have to create rules for the emergence of minor pro-Central Powers nations in Finland, the Baltics, and Poland. Then, pro-Allied Whites in Crimea, the Caucasus, North Russia, and Siberia.

Leave Italy’s alignment up to the Italian player, is my feeling.

• @Trenacker:

In the actual war, a German victory in South Africa was never in the cards. Because of the greater randomness created by the dice, it is possible that the lone German infantry in South West Africa could survive an attack by, say, the full garrison of South Africans (say, 2 infantry and 1 cavalry), and later march directly into South Africa. At that point, the Boer revolt is a moot point.

I recommend linking the Revolt to a German combat victory in South West Africa, or else to the arrival of a second German unit (representing, in theory, expanding military capability). At that point, the Germans might receive, say, a free casualty when attacking South Africa, to simulate the fifth columnists. That leads to other questions about how to track and apply the rule consistently, which we can set aside for now.

My opinion is that Rumania and Bulgaria should base their alignment on bids. Alternatively, you can have them align historically, but subject to specific rules that govern how they function as player nations prior to the declaration of war.

If London or Paris fall, the Netherlands would cling to their neutrality in hopes of avoiding the same fate. But, in theory, the Dutch East Indies give something for the German and Japanese players to think about in the Pacific theater of war.

You may also want to play around with the British and the Dutch. Allowing the British to attack Dutch territory in the Indies on the pretext of needing to bolster the defenses at Singapore or prevent abuse of neutrality by German and Austro-Hungarian commerce raiders could create an opportunity for the Dutch to align with the Germans.

To simulate the Russian Civil War, you�d probably have to create rules for the emergence of minor pro-Central Powers nations in Finland, the Baltics, and Poland. Then, pro-Allied Whites in Crimea, the Caucasus, North Russia, and Siberia.

Leave Italy�s alignment up to the Italian player, is my feeling.

Starting from the bottom, Italian Alliance was a huge prize for anyone who took it. The flaw with the feeling from the Italian Player is that, if the German Player and the Italian Player are the same person, he would automatically join the Central Powers, and Vice Versa if any of the Allies had control of them. So, in the beginning, Italy will not be controlled by any player, but have the US player roll for Italy with my rules. If Italy goes to the Central Powers, the Ottoman Player should get control. If Italy goes to the Allied Powers, then the Russian player gets Italy.

The Russian Civil War is in the works right now, but I have finished revolution rules. So, possibly Germany controls the reds and Britan controls the Whites?

The Dutch rules are also in the works, love those ideas you have, might use some.

The bid system is what I have settled on for Romania and Bulgaria. They will operate like neutral nations. This is why I have a dice roll with a bid.

The Boer revolt ideas that you put out are way better than my original idea so I’ll go with that.

• On the Portugal survey.  I believe Portugal should be Neutral - UNLESS, Angola attacked by Germans.  If so, then Portugal becomes a minor-aligned UK country.

• That’s an interesting thought, but that’s the whole point of the survey. I just needed opinions and yours by far is one of the best.

• Been working on the map - had some time for a few setup charts

Haven’t figured out the Sea Zones yet

The Ottoman Empire - 31 IPC’s

Constantinople -            8 Infantry , 3 Artillery
    Western Turkey -            6 Infantry , 2 Artillery
    Dardanelles -                  2 Infantry
    Smyara -                        4 Infantry , 2 Artillery
    Ankara -                        3 Infantry , 2 Artillery
    Iraq -                            3 Infantry , 1 Artillery
    Trans - Jordan -              4 Infantry , 3 Artillery
    Syria/Lebanon -              3 Infantry , 1 Artillery
    Hejaz -                          2 Infantry , 2 Artillery
    Damascus -                    4 Infantry , 2 Artillery
    Armenia -                      5 Infantry , 3 Artillery
    Mesopotamia -                6 Infantry , 4 Artillery

SZ ??? -                          1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 2 Transports (Black Sea)

• Please make the map first before you determine how many infantry in “***********”

• The Ottoman Empire has been drawn along with most of Austria, Germany, France, and Britain is complete as well. Its the Sea Zones I have not determined yet.

• But how would you know how many IPC Ottomans would have if you didn’t do any study on the economic capabilities of the other nations relating to 31 IPC? How would you know how many infantry they would have in each area if you didn’t study where they even had armies in 1914?

You need to just draw a map with territory borders that allows good player options and is realistic. Don’t redo 1914, that’s garbage. This is redesign, not use what you got

This is not checkers my friend.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m