• @Krieghund:

Subs can only be ignored during movement.  If you attack a sea zone, all units in the sea zone belonging to the attacker and defender will be involved.  As with any amphibious assault, the sea battle must be fought first.  If the sub hits first, the transport must retreat or be destroyed.

If you don’t want to take a chance on the invasion being repelled, don’t attack the sub.

he can conduct the amphibious assault without killing the sub first, thereby not risking loosing transport?

• Official Q&A

Yes, he can choose to ignore the sub.

• does western canada touch sea zone 1?

• Official Q&A

No.

• @Krieghund:

No.

thank you, that’s good to know.

I have a question on AA-fire.

Do AA guns fire during fly overs (during a combat move)?

It can up in a game.

Situtation:

AA gun on France and AA gun on Ger.

UK ftrs (in Bul) flyover Ger and attack Fra.  
    Do the Germany AA guns get a chance to fire before France’s?

• Customizer

Nope… those Spitfires are flying too high and not near those AA’s in Germany.

Bummer.

So an AA in Persia, doesn’t protect Cauc/Kaz from J ftrs in Sz 34?

Wow.

• @DarthMaximus:

Bummer.

So an AA in Persia, doesn’t protect Cauc/Kaz from J ftrs in Sz 34?

Wow.

That’s right.  It was one of the MAJOR changes from the Revised edition.

Wish I knew it a little earlier.  Lol!

• @Global-commander:

@Krieghund:

No.

in 1942 set up, is solomen Islands considered an original jap territory since they start the game controlling it?

• @Global-commander:

@Global-commander:

@Krieghund:

No.

in 1942 set up, is solomen Islands considered an original jap territory since they start the game controlling it?

No.  You go by what is printed on the map (so original territories are the same in 1941 and 1942).  It is an original UK territory, and won’t count for that NO.

• Could someone please answer this question:

Setup:
    there is a japanese fleet in Z36 with a destroyer
    there are japanese ground units on FIC
    the USA owns PHI
    the USA puts a submarine in Z36 during noncombat

Question:  on the Japanese turn, can the Japanese use the destroyer to attack the submarine AND load units to a transport from Z36 to attack PHI?

As I read the rules, if the Japanese ignore the USA submarine, they can load units in Z36 during the combat phase.

Cheers

• Official Q&A

Yes.  Enemy subs can always be ignored during movement when there are no enemy surface warships present.

• But is it possible that the US moves a sub in sz36 during NCM, since there is a destroyer, I guess it cancels the sub ability no ?

• Official Q&A

Subs can always move into or out of a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer.  They may not move through one, as their movement stops when they enter such a zone.

• Even Yoshi didn’t know that rule.  That was a big eye opener when you clarified it on the 1940 thread, Kevin.  I don’t think there are very many players that understand you can move a sub into a zone with an enemy destroyer, during noncombat.  It’s good that this has come up in both threads.

• So, does this mean that a sub can always dive?
    In other words, the DD’s presence does not negate the ability to dive.

that is the only way to explain how a sub can move into a SZ in NCM:  diving avoids any combat.

• I also do not get the point ; it looks like one more special rule to me… what’s the logic behind ?

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

So, does this mean that a sub can always dive?
    In other words, the DD’s presence does not negate the ability to dive.

that is the only way to explain how a sub can move into a SZ in NCM:  diving avoids any combat.

It has nothing to do with submerging.  It has to do with moving in noncombat movement.  If a sub wants to fight, it moves into the sea zone in combat movement.  If it doesn’t, it moves in noncombat movement.  Submerging means escaping combat once the battle begins, not avoiding it entirely.  If a sub wants to avoid a fight when moving, it simply doesn’t make its presence known, which means moving in noncombat.

A sub must stop when entering a sea zone with an enemy destroyer not because it can’t submerge there (which it can’t), but because the destroyer’s ability to detect the sub forces it to be more slow and cautious in its movement.  The rule concerning a sub stopping in a sea zone with a destroyer deals with movement phases only, while the submerging rules deal with the combat phase only.

As to people not knowing this rule, I’m not I understand that.  It’s clearly stated in the Rulebook.  The only explanation I can think of is that it’s “baggage” from previous games’ rules.

I think that part of the confusion in this issue lies with the term “submerge” itself.  I regret that it was ever used.  It (rightfully) has a connotation of submarines moving under the surface.  However, it game terms it simply means diving deep to escape combat.  I would have preferred the term “disengage”, but it’s too late to change it now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m