• OK, this question comes from having read the AAR manual and the specification for the class of Japan carriers combined with previously having read a book by the captain of the USS Archer-Fish.

The AAR manual specifies that the Japan Carriers are “Shinano” Class.  First of all, this is seriously screwed up (like several of the other unit types).  Japan did not launch the Shinano until 1944 and she was a one-of-a-kind.  She was also the largest naval vessel afloat ever until the launch of the USS Enterprise in 1962.

Shinano was not originally built as a carrier.  Her keel was laid and her hull was built as a Yamoto Class Battleship, and she would have been the largest of the 3.  At the time of Midway she was still just a hull in a shipyard.  After Midway, they fitted her with a flight deck and she was sank on her maiden voyage from the shipyards on the east coast bound for the Sea of Japan.

So…
    IF the Japan carriers are, as specified in the manual, Shinano Class, then they should be TWO HIT carriers.  She had the thick steel hull, the topredo blisters, etc. that were the hallmarks of the Yamato Class Battleships.  She simply had a flight deck instead of those 18 inch guns.

Thoughts?

• The AAR manual specifies that the Japan Carriers are “Shinano” Class.  First of all, this is seriously screwed up (like several of the other unit types).  Japan did not launch the Shinano until 1944 and she was a one-of-a-kind.  She was also the largest naval vessel afloat ever until the launch of the USS Enterprise in 1962.

Shinano was not originally built as a carrier.  Her keel was laid and her hull was built as a Yamoto Class Battleship, and she would have been the largest of the 3.  At the time of Midway she was still just a hull in a shipyard.  After Midway, they fitted her with a flight deck and she was sank on her maiden voyage from the shipyards on the east coast bound for the Sea of Japan.

So…
    IF the Japan carriers are, as specified in the manual, Shinano Class, then they should be TWO HIT carriers.  She had the thick steel hull, the topredo blisters, etc. that were the hallmarks of the Yamato Class Battleships.  She simply had a flight deck instead of those 18 inch guns.

I fully aggree that this is a problem. The mold should have been a Kongo class battlecruiser for the battleship, and Shokaku-class aircraft carrier but this cannot be fixed. But the point being is they are just molds with no value other than representation of a “carrier” or “Battleship” I think they should remain at one hit , but move 3 spaces along with destroyers.

• Or make it a “National Advantage” for Japan :-)

At least it bears some historical accuracy… IF you are going to call Japan’s carriers Shinano Class :-)

Although, let’s face it, US would have 2 hit carriers too… look at Yorktown :-)

• Naw yorktown went down against like 20 planes, while the Yamato took 200 planes

• @Imperious:

Naw yorktown went down against like 20 planes, while the Yamato took 200 planes

But Shinano (same hull as Yamoto) took 1 submarine with 1 torpedo spread (one torpedo hit the I beam supporting one of the torpedo blisters and turned the I-beam into a battering ram that went through the boilers…)

While Yorktown was hit at Coral Sea, damaged, limped back to Pearl, and then fought again at Midway…

(I know, it is a game, don;t let reality spoil it) :-P

• But Shinano (same hull as Yamoto) took 1 submarine with 1 torpedo spread (one torpedo hit the I beam supporting one of the torpedo blisters and turned the I-beam into a battering ram that went through the boilers…)

While Yorktown was hit at Coral Sea, damaged, limped back to Pearl, and then fought again at Midway.

In both cases these carriers lost their battle with little against them… so id keep the one hit idea. If a Yamato class carrier can be sunk by a sub and the yorktown plus those 4 japanese carriers go down by a few planes i dont see why these ships need a two hit thing. The battleships should however. Do you not aggree?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m