Good points, Gargantua and Kobe. If German planes, during G1 2nd impulse, cannot land on territory captured during the first impulse, does this mean that the German fleet cannot pass through the Denmark straits during the 2nd impulse if Denmark was captured by Germany during the 1st impulse?
I like the new rules regarding Holland and the DEI.
I agree that Italy is extremely disadvantaged with the new set-up. I also believe that Japan should not have lost any veteran troops considering that China has two more infantry, a starting income, and AA guns.
Finally, the comments Gargantua made with regards to neutral countries having defensive units was based upon house rules we co-developed. These worked very well for us on the weekend. For interest (and maybe for the new set-up rules being developed), our house rules are reproduced below:
1. Coastal battleships attack at 6, defend at 6 (regular battleships attack and defend at 8). When hit, they attack and defend at 4 (as opposed to 5/5 for regular battleships). Coastal battleships should not have the naval bombardment ability. Coastal means a ship must END it’s movement next to a territory with the same original roundel as the territory it started next to. Naval bases give +1 movement to coastal ships.
2. When a neutral capital falls and the coastal battleship moves to the closest friendly naval base which is not adjacent to a territory with the original roundel (e.g. Portugal falls), then the ship becomes immobile, like Vichy units.
3. Paratroopers may not be dropped on industrial complexes unless they are accompanying an amphibious or ground assault. Bombers dropping Paratroopers do not roll attack dice. Only one AA shot per bomber. If the AA shot hits, both bomber and paratrooper (if applicable) are lost.
4. Once a minor axis power is attacked, it becomes activated and acquires income.
5. The following are additional true neutral starting troop placements (for South America, Mexico, and Mongolia, we used Argentinaâ€s 47,000 troops during WW II as the baseline). The rest were for better playability:
Chile - 1 infantry
Peru - 2 infantry
Colombia - 1 infantry
Venezuela - 1 infantry
Mexico - 4 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 armour
Baja â€“ 1 infantry
Ulaan Baatar - 2 infantry
Zavkhan â€“ 1 Infantry
Riyadh â€“ 1 infantry
Medina â€“ 1 infantry
Ireland â€“ 1 infantry
Afghanistan â€“ 1 infantry
Belgian Congo â€“ 1 infantry