• What’s your thoughts on this awesome convoy battle and the results had it failed?

• I had no idea, Worsham. Really enjoyed reading the details of Pedestal.
    Was Kesselring refusing Air Cover that doomed the 6 Cruisers then.
    The British took a hell of a pounding nonetheless. Malta survived.
    I think it was probably too late for the capture of Malta to be realised and possible it would not have changed the detiorating situation for the Axis. I believe it should have been given priority in 1941.
    Thanks again.

• @wittmann:

I had no idea, Worsham. Really enjoyed reading the details of Pedestal.
    Was Kesselring refusing Air Cover that doomed the 6 Cruisers then.
    The British took a hell of a pounding nonetheless. Malta survived.
    I think it was probably too late for the capture of Malta to be realised and possible it would not have changed the detiorating situation for the Axis. I believe it should have been given priority in 1941.
    Thanks again.

From my reading the Germans did not have the planes to provide an air blanket for the Italian cruiser force and attack the convoy in force. It’s no doubt one of the most intense encounters in WW2.

• '10

The tanker “Ohio” was brought to Valletta harbor in Malta flanked by two British destroyers that had passed wire hawsers under the hull of the tanker to keep it afloat. 
    It took an hour to make the last mile into the harbor with the aid of local tugs and the destroyers. The cargo of the “Ohio” was 13,000 tons of aviation fuel that kept Malta’s planes in the war. This is an amazing story.

• @Fishmoto37:

The tanker “Ohio” was brought to Valletta harbor in Malta flanked by two British destroyers that had passed wire hawsers under the hull of the tanker to keep it afloat. 
    It took an hour to make the last mile into the harbor with the aid of local tugs and the destroyers. The cargo of the “Ohio” was 13,000 tons of aviation fuel that kept Malta’s planes in the war. This is an amazing story.

That an aviation fuel carrying tanker could take the damage the Ohio did is truely awesome. But we build things tough in Texas.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m