If anyone is interested in making a TripleA module of this….

• Customizer

This looks like an interesting map, and it would be cool if someone turned it into a “module” for TripleA.

So, before you all close this thread, thinking that it is Rocket Science, let me explain how to do it.

And by no means, does one person have to do everything.

To start, someone will need to make a “territory outline map”.

Basically, it is a trace of the territory borders.  The size of the border can be anything, but should be consistent.  1 or 2 pixels thick is usually good enough.

Anti-Aliasing should be turned off.  That means the lines will be slightly jagged, but this is fine.  If antialiasing (making the line edges fade to appear smooth) is bad and will cause triplea to fail to see where the borders are, so turn it off.

All border lines should be Black (hex code 000000)

The insides of each territory can by any color you want (normally white [FFFFFF]), but they have to be a solid color.  They can’t be two colors, or a gentle fading of colors.  No art is allowed on the “outline map”.

When you have this, you can begin making the TripleA module.

If anyone is interested, I can further explain or help.

I’ve also attached an example of an outline map, so you know what i mean. (it is the triplea outline map for aa50)

ww2v3_basetiles.png

• Customizer

is there not enough interest in this game?

• Or people too lazy/not experienced enough to make the AAA module.

• Yeah, like I’m not even sure how to start . . . where does that map come from? Is someone supposed to create it from scratch?

• Customizer

@seththenewb:

Yeah, like I’m not even sure how to start . . . where does that map come from? Is someone supposed to create it from scratch?

depends on how you want to do this,

whoever created this 1939 map, may have originally had a territory outline map like the one above, at some point during the creation process

if not, there are two other ways to make it:

1. take an existing map, like the one I provided, and then draw the borders
    or
    2. take the 1939 map, scale it down to the appropriate size you want, then either use some photoshop tricks to get the borders, or hand draw them on a layer above the map’s layer.  (photoshop or paint.net or gimp can all do this, the last two are free btw)

• That would be cool if this game was on the internet, I would play it

• Verq, I’m a very visual person. Could you provide me with like a starting point or some examples so I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve never done anything like this.

• Customizer

Sure, please see the following 2 attachments.

The map making tutorial map, is a map that I made in less than 20 minutes.  It has less than 10 territories, and it is very basic, however it works.  Everything you find in that zip is the bare minimum needed to get a map working.  Even better, because the map is so damn small, it is easy to look at everything in the map zip and see the purpose of it.

The map maker is the original map maker made by wisconsin.  It runs only on windows xp, and needs .NET framework installed to work.  If you are using windows 7 or some later version of windows, you will need to run it using compatibility mode AND run it as administrator.  Before you go thinking that the ‘map maker’ is required to make a map, let me tell you that it is not.  All the map maker does is run programs that are already inside triplea, which you could run with console commands if you wanted to.  Anyway, it does make life easier to use wisconsin’s program.
    Also, there are good text file instructions inside the map maker zip.

You should unzip both.

My advice would be to start with drawing the map. 
    You can use the map i posted in the first post of this thread as an example.  The borders are black.  The territories are white.  The ocean is blue.  There is NO antialiasing (anti-aliasing is when You make a line fuzzy in order to make it appear smooth), we do not want that, we want jagged edges.  There is no art on this map (you get to add that later).
    That is what you need to begin.

TripleA_Map_Creator.zip
    Map_Making_Tutorial_Map.zip

• What’s in it for me? I feel this deserves at LEAST a US battleship or loaded carrier in our game.  :-P

Seriously though, I’ll take a look at it and see if I can wrap my brain around this. No promises on a timeline though . . .

• Customizer

it is actually really easy
    all you do is follow the instructions

i’ll give you a very high bid in our next game of napoleonic 1v1, but i can’t give you anything in our team games  :-P

• You can split your fleet again  :evil:

• I keed I keed

• This would be awesome!!! I would play it all the time. Verq, Could add all the special units and rules?

• Customizer

I can help, but sorry, someone else is going to have to do most of the work on this one.  I’m too busy making other maps, running literally everything, and coding the engine.

• Customizer

So noone can even do so much as create a simple OUTLINE?

Guess there just isn’t enough interest?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL.

There’s interest, we just need the right people.

I’ve personally played this game through, and it’s great!  But definetly needs some workings…

• I was playing around with the map to try and get the solid color thing going. I don’t have photoshop and have almost zero skill in editing. But I was trying. I can’t just use the bucket tool, at best it’ll only work on a couple dozen pixels at a time.

Anywho, I accidently got what I was going for. And I say accidently because I had the wrong layer selected at one point while I was trying to edit it. I gave up and started closing layers when I noticed what I’d done. I tried replicating it to no avail, but I’ll try again. I also shot an email to the developer, so we’ll see if they’re willing to provide a solid color map or a wire frame map.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/pic1306814.jpg/

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Nice.

I’d love to get into this, and want the map.  But I have absolutely 0 time… :S

• So I figured out what I did the first time. Unfortunately it doesn’t work for every color. But I just halved the time it’ll take me … .  still there’s a lot of busy work ahead of me before the map is done. Hopefully HBG comes through with the map.

As far as the game is concerned, I’ve played it twice and it’s pretty fun!

• Subject: Global 1939 Map
    Staff (Administrator)
    3/22/2013 9:26:42 AM We cannot give the file out at this time.
    Thanks for asking though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m