• 2007 AAR League

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/11/30/video-game.html

“A chainsaw-wielding killer and blood-splattered shooting rampages are featured in some of the 10 video games that a media watchdog group says should be avoided by kids and teens….”

• Yea great article! I like how they avoid disclosing the top ten games… knowing full well that list is exactly the type of game anyone would want to play and was looking for

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I just don’t see why it matters.

I have yet to hear of a pyschopathic mass murderer being diagnosed by a clinical psychiatrist as having “Video Game Induced Homicidal Tendancies” same for violent movies.

Just another fear tactic used by those who know nothing about real life, the human brain or anything else to keep parents afriad of something so they don’t use their rational brains to make their own decisions.

I’ll chalk this up to “Kids who play with guns will kill you in your sleep” fear and the “The world will end in 10 years if we don’t stop global warming” fear using the 1980s.

• Jen

“The world will end in 10 years if we don’t stop global warming” fear using the 1980s."

But shouldn’t America still try and become more environmentally friendly? I am not quite sure whether you are saying global warming is bs, or that it wont happen for a long time, but we should, as stated before, still become more educated about the environment and recycle.

• @CrazyHomer87:

Jen

“The world will end in 10 years if we don’t stop global warming” fear using the 1980s."

But shouldn’t America still try and become more environmentally friendly? I am not quite sure whether you are saying global warming is bs, or that it wont happen for a long time, but we should, as stated before, still become more educated about the environment and recycle.

forget it man - this is about video games for one thing, and also you will not get a point like this one across to Jen.

A)  The US is a leading nation in recycling.
    B)  I believe in recycling when it’s cheaper because it is a capitalist idea.

C)  I have still never heard of video induced homicide being a viable defense.  And believe me, it would be on Law and Order as well as every news channel the week it is successful. 
    D)  I have heard of reports showing that violent movies and video games actually pacify people because it mentally vents their frustration, thus they are not frustrated as much and thus are less inclined to get into violence themselves.

• Jen “A)  The US is a leading nation in recycling.”

I do not think I will ever try and argue or debate with you ever again Jen. You fail miserably at looking at America with critical analysis and admitting we are wrong on something.

• Back on topic… video games…

• Did anyone ever play Manhunt? That was one messed up game.

@CrazyHomer87:

Jen “A)  The US is a leading nation in recycling.”

I do not think I will ever try and argue or debate with you ever again Jen. You fail miserably at looking at America with critical analysis and admitting we are wrong on something.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually find facts or just use the crap they were fed by the media.

Top Recycling Nations in the World:

Rank Country Percentage of Waste Recycled
    1 Switzerland 52%
    2 Austria           49.7%
    3 Germany         48%
    4 Netherlands 46%
    5 Norway           40%
    6 Sweden         34%
    7 United States 31.5%

http://www.aneki.com/recycling_countries.html

Wow, not only one of the world’s leading recycling nations, but in the top ten of over 150 nations, recycling an estimated 31.5% (a 3rd) of our garbage, almost 7% more then waas thought possible in 1985.

Hmm….and the facts bite another liberal in the butt.

• Did anyone ever play Manhunt? That was one messed up game.

That game was fun. Good stuff. Rockstar makes the best video games.

Its not really suited for young kids but it is only a big deal when someone tries to make it a big deal.

• Has anyone played the new Scarface game?  That game is like……wow.  If you guys thought the GTA series was violent and full of sexual themes and cussing, you guys might want to rethink that with this game.

• C)  I have still never heard of video induced homicide being a viable defense.  And believe me, it would be on Law and Order as well as every news channel the week it is successful.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think I remember a Law and Order case where video games came up.

Not that it isn’t a ridiculous defense.

• yeah i saw that episode, don’t rembember who won the case though.

• 2007 AAR League

I love to reduce, reuse if possible, but i hate recycling.

its a huge pyramid scheme.  you do all the work, some company picks it up, already pre sorted, and makes money off of your work.  and we dont see a dime. screw doing someone elses work.  those recylcing companies could go to the landfill and sort my garbage if they dont want to pay me.

• wtf?  Isn’t this supposed to be about video games to avoid?  Why are we talking aboot recycling?  :?

• "@Mechanized:

wtf? Isn’t this supposed to be about video games to avoid? Why are we talking aboot recycling? :?

@Craig:

MW- This side argument is because of Jennifer’s use of a “throw away” statement in an earlier post. (Did you like the pun? :-D )

And the award for failure to get the point of a rhetorical question goes to . . .

Well, really, we’re all winners here.

• I saw a very similar list about two months ago.  Speaking of Recycling, the list included the latest Grand Theft Autos, State of Emergency 2, the Soprano’s, the 360 version of Godfather, and Scarface.  All of these were either sequels or license ripoffs of movies and TV shows.

I work in a video game store, and I’ve seen a lot of garbage over the last two years.  Here’s some games that you should avoid because the hype is completely out of proportion to the quality of gameplay:

NBA Live 07 (Numerous, particularly XBOX 360 and PC):  EA Sports has a bad problem with feature creep; taking a sports game, updating the roster, adding some little gimmick and charging you $50.  The AI bugs on this version were inexcusable

Scarface (PS2, XBOX):  The movie has generated a huge following from the 18-25 crowd, and the game is just an excuse to milk money out of those kids that have the poster up in their dorm room.  This game doesn’t look any better than Vice City despite being produced five years later.  The gameplay is repetitive and you wish you had a jump button.

25 to Life (PS2, XBOX):  This piece of garbage was one of those urban crime games that followed in the wake of GTA:San Andraes.  It’s barely playable.

Any game for the Wii or PS3 that was released for another system last year:  See Blazing Angels, Godfather, College Hoops 2k7.  Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for PS3 and Tiger Woods for Wii receive special exemptions.

• Anyone down for 10 video games you should play?  We could do recent and all-time…

• Recent games you have to play?

Earth Defense Force for the 360.  D3 makes games that aren’t flashy, but they’re loads of fun.  I also recommend Cooking Mama for the Wii.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m