Working out a version of A&A based on fictional/alternate history

• I’ve played A&A for more than 10 years now, every retail variant, and many alternate rules settings. I’ve also played on a lot of digital custom maps, things like that.

I was really impressed with what was put together with AARe, maintaining simplicity while offering a large array of strategic variance.

All that aside, after much thought, I’ve decided that I’d like to work on a game using the mechanics of A&A but based on a fictional historical scenario.

Such an undertaking obviously requires a completely new map, so on and so forth. I think it would be awfully fun.

There are a couple of scenarios that appeal to me, for alternate takes of WW2. I want to know what you guys think about such an endeavor, or what fictional history sounds like it would be fun to act out.

Obviously this is a long term goal, but I gotta start somewhere.

• @swordsman3003:

Such an undertaking obviously requires a completely new map, so on and so forth.

It depends on just how different an alternate history you’re talking about.  If you’re thinking of a Second World War alternate-history scenario which starts roughly at the same point as the real war but then goes off in a different direction, you could use the board which comes with The War Game: World War II.  Unlike the A&A global games, or A&A Europe, it does not show Western Europe and parts of the USSR already under German occupation, so it gives you a more neutral starting point.

CWO Marc

• @CWO:

@swordsman3003:

Such an undertaking obviously requires a completely new map, so on and so forth.

It depends on just how different an alternate history you’re talking about.  If you’re thinking of a Second World War alternate-history scenario which starts roughly at the same point as the real war but then goes off in a different direction, you could use the board which comes with The War Game: World War II.  Unlike the A&A global games, or A&A Europe, it does not show Western Europe and parts of the USSR already under German occupation, so it gives you a more neutral starting point.

CWO Marc

I was thinking more along the lines of a war with completely fictionalized nations, based on something happening different in history. Obviously the act of playing the game is enough to generate “alternate history.”

Does the concept even interest you?

• @swordsman3003:

I was thinking more along the lines of a war with completely fictionalized nations, based on something happening different in history. Obviously the act of playing the game is enough to generate “alternate history.”

For instance the south winning the civil war?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

curse those AK47s!

• @allboxcars:

@Emperor_Taiki:

curse those AK47s!

lol!

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@swordsman3003:

That would be awesome….

• How’s this working out?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m