• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

That’s a tough one man. Your opponent made a strong opening, and your fighters are far afield.

Gotta try to clap back on him I suppose.
    Rush the Med maybe, or reclaim your home waters  :-D

I don’t want to give too much advice if the game is ongoing, but its clear you need to turtle up Moscow and pray for snow.

• @craykirk:

Take a look at this save game and help me understand how this is supposed to work…  I even took a bomber bid.  had 8 inf, 2 art, 4 arm, 2 AA in West Russia and lost it all to 7 inf, 1 art, 3 arm, 5 fig, 1 bmb.  British navy gone as well.  the only thing that didn’t work out for Germany was 2 sub vs dst, 2 trn which should have been an easy win.  Time for me to use the battle calculator a bit more.

You opening was fine. Your opponent just had a 2 standard deviation outcome on west russia R1. Options are to play low luck or not attack with 2 inf, 1 art, 1 bomber. Play low luck if you want to emphasize skill in determining the outcome. Play dice if you want volatility and risk management.

• TripleA

In low luck I would just attack it with one more fighter…

I have never lost 1942 2nd edition as the axis. The usual bid the allies get ranges from 16-30… The hardest was 30 ipc bid 1 unit per territory sprinkled around the map. I always do 1 unit per territory…

3 subs is fine, so you pressure the pacific half well. Germany is still going to roll Russia.  My scientifically proven balance changes are good, keeps radical stuff like this from happening, otherwise you have to have 20-30 ipcs 1 unit per terr. All in one place makes the game much more linear and boring.

You can run a similar 007 attack with just 3 subs (instead of 4) for 12 ipcs on the bid.

That’s one sub in sz 35, and the other in sz 39 (which keeps to the one bid unit per space rule.) In that case your odds to prevail in the subs only attack are just shy of 50/50, but statistically you are still going to kill the Japanese carrier the majority of the time, and you may even get the opportunity to dive and survive with a sub.

In LL a 4 sub attack is a sure shot, you win the battle every time. But that requires full placement bid rules (allowing more than 1 sub into a single sea zone) which isn’t the way I normally play. But since the current tournament went that way, I thought I’d mention the 4 sub (subs only) attack against sz37.

In LL 3 subs is much narrower, but its also still cheaper than engaging the Japanese fighters with your surface ships directly. Leaves you a bit of flexibility to decide which theater to press, since the Indian carrier and Egypt fighter could go on the prowl, along with the Aussie cruiser.

You can jack up sz37 without giving up your attack on sz 61.

1 cruiser and 1 fighter to the sz 61 battle is also a guarantee in LL (if you play that way), so your sz 35 spitfire can be certain to cover the flying tiger, no problem.

I think its a nice attack, low risk a with solid shot on enemy TUV destroyed. The option to dive if things go terribly, but a potentially powerful payoff if things go as they should. Russia might get rolled sure, but there’s also a bit less support coming to Germany from Japan, so UK might be able to make up the difference there, if they act fast enough.

Or as you say, could always just go balls to the wall in the Pacific, giving USA a much better chance of busting up the IJN  :-D
    The other sub breaker would be against the German battleship in the med, which also seems promising.

But I kind of dig the submarine solo sneak attack against sz 37.

Double sub bid,
    007 style! hehe

• TripleA

Yeah it is good, most people with 2 sub bid will toss the carrier and cruiser in with it… if one of the fighters misses the bship hit will go to those units and keep the subs. :) they usually send the egypt fighter as well… cruiser fighter to sink japan dd trans.

• With a high bid its not a bad idea to save the US two transport and destroyer in the atlantic with an additional destroyer, 22 IPC saved is a great win in its own. With a 16 IPC bid you could also buy a destroyer for UK and save their transport+destroyer in the atlantic, that would in total save 37 IPC =)

• TripleA

What happens when you do that is the subs go to the bship in the medit sea and they take gibraltar.

I like infantry caucasus to make the ukraine attack go smoother. 1 inf egypt. 2 inf arty for attacking FIC.  The rest is what evs.

• Dont like the Ukraine attack for reasons given perfectly by DarthMaximus on the previous page, ie I wanna hinder Germany as long as possible from building in Karelia.

• TripleA

You cannot. Germany just has to buy armor round 1. You just deadzoned caucasus for no reason.

• '17 '16 '15 '14

Pray for snow…  thanks!  Unlike the real war, I don’t think TripleA supports that option.  :-P

• TripleA

Do your turns :)

• '17 '16 '15 '14

I have, it was late…  Up watching the Royals win in 13…  Where is your thread that describes a fair setup of the game?

• TripleA

search scientifically proven setup in the boards.

• '17 '16 '15 '14

When Russia lost everything on the first German counter, I should have just gone for the full attack on the Japan BB, CAR, 2FIG with 2 CRU, 2 FIG, CAR, SUB in the hopes that the first roll would give me a victory.  So far, I haven’t learned anything new; the game is so imbalanced that reckless play by the axis is rewarded.

Besides, i get to download and review games played by experts.  I am really looking forward to more lessons.  I’m going to keep playing the Allies +12 and losing.  that’s fine.  I’ll figure it out.

If you’d like to play a casual game, I’d be down. My opponent in the tournament hasn’t played the 1942.2 game before, so I think he’s taking his time to study up on the rules and such.

I’ll shoot you a PM

• '17 '16 '15 '14

How do i start a game?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m