• Porch climbers anyone?

One can of lemonade concentrate, one beer, one mickey of vodka.

don’t whine - just try it.

• @Janus1:

Have you tried an Irish Car Bomb? Im not being rude, but you honestly should try one before passing judgement.

No, you are absolutely right.  In all my years, I don’t recall having one - but that’s partially because my drinking habits have changed quite a bit (the ICB looks like an effective method to get $hitty ASAP, and I rarely drink to get drunk).  I just kinda equated that drink with funneling a good beer, as in why get good stuff if you are not going to savor it?  I like each one of those drinks on their own - particularly Guiness and Jameson’s - and it seems like a waste of money to mix & chug.  Anyway, since my birthday is next week (along with my bro’s 21st) I’ll be out, so maybe I’ll try it then and give my final verdict.

Oh yeah, I’ve got to recommend a bourbon & coke.  It has to be coke, and mixing it to perfection can be tricky, but it’s a simple and tasty drink (as long as your have good bourbon).

@Crypt:

Porch climbers anyone?

One can of lemonade concentrate, one beer, one mickey of vodka.

don’t whine - just try it.

I like whiskey sours pretty well, so this one might be up my alley.

• Irish C** B***?
    Memories of the IRA.

What next?
    9/11s or WTCs !?!
    …poisons…
    in order of volume consumed :

1. Tap water with reconstituted lemon juice or fresh Lemon/lime,
    2. Chocolate(preferably dark,)
    3. Wine (veeery sweeeeet,  e.g., Meier’s Catawba, Manachievitz[sp?] Concord)…any worldwide or regional recommendations appreciated!! and
    4. a Titanic(my own concoction…one glass of the most expensive wine/champagne in the house, one shot of a well known, well respected whiskey/bourbon as Jim Beam/Johnny Walker/Southern Comfort and the rest of the MUG of the cheapest sweet house wine…_on the rocks!_  Expensive, but one will do it…preferably imbibed early if I’m driving.
      A few of my friends like it, too, but it’s best tried a # of dates to find your own taste treat.

Remember, beer, coffee, pop and many other things we put in our mouths are acquired tastes.

• El Jefe,

If you like sweet wines, allow me to recommend MOST North Carolina wines that use Muscadine grapes.

Two good vinyards for sweet Muscadine wines are
    Duplin in Rose Hill, NC
    and
    Hinnant in Smithfield, NC

Not sure about web sites or shipping, but a quick google should find them…

• 2007 AAR League

Well if you want sweet wine i would recomend Tokaj wine (from Hungary), it´s very good.

More info here: http://hungarianwinesociety.com/eform_copy.htm

• Anything sweet & alcoholic messes with me too much (except Coke, strange enough…).  If anything, I can maybe get away with it on a good day, if that’s ALL I drink.  I try to stick to the dry red wines, but I know someone who might like that recommendation, Nix.

• 2007 AAR League

General warning for the substance called Tequila……  Yes you get drunk, but strange…  Stay away from it…  :-P

• For warmth and happiness followed by bleary oblivion… Tequila

For A&A madness… shots of Bushmills, chased by Pepsi and Rolaids

For casual fun… Geary’s Winter or Harvest Ale (a spicy brown microbrew made in Portland, Maine). Yum.

For thirst quenching after yard work… cold Budweiser, but only two.

For sheer pleasure… Guiness on tap. To double that pleasure, a Black and Tan (Bass with Guiness floating pleasantly on top)

I personally can’t get enough water, and must say it has quite a quick especially after strenuous sports activities! :-D

• Are you sure water’s a poison…?

roflol… Best retort I have heard in a while… Thanks for making my day!

GG

• @88:

For warmth and happiness followed by bleary oblivion… Tequila

For A&A madness… shots of Bushmills, chased by Pepsi and Rolaids

For casual fun… Geary’s Winter or Harvest Ale (a spicy brown microbrew made in Portland, Maine). Yum.

For thirst quenching after yard work… cold Budweiser, but only two.

For sheer pleasure… Guiness on tap. To double that pleasure, a Black and Tan (Bass with Guiness floating pleasantly on top)

Oh yeah…I’ve fallen in love with Guinness again.  Awesome stuff, and, surprisingly, I’ve never had a Black & Tan.  Time to do so.
    And now that summer is coming around, we’re entering Boddington days.  :-)

• GG- it’s true, there’s no poison quite like a nice tall glass of refreshing icewater…  :-D

Jermofoot- listen closely. Through much experience, and with many failures, I’ve become the Black and Tan expert amongst the group that I drink with.

Here’s the deal- bottled Stout does not work. Don’t try it, you’ll be disappointed. Stout on tap will work when attempted by a trained professional (I’ve seen it done and tasted it in Ireland). You have to use the draught. Bottled or canned doesn’t matter, but either way it has to be very cold. If not it will sink. This is the cause of many failed B&Ts (the beer drinking equivalent to Don Rae’s assertion that improper purchasing habits is the cause of all player death. Period.). The upside is you drink it anyways, and you still love every drop. Anyhow, the glass is important as well. The bottom can’t be too wide, or again the Guiness ends up dropping rather than floating. Use a standard glass that widens as you near the top- like you’d see in a typical bar. You’ve already poured it 2/3 full with cold Bass. Finally, take a tablespoon and hold it just below the rim of the glass, with the tip touching the glass. Slowly and gently pour the Guiness onto the tablespoon, allowing the Guiness to run from the spoon, onto the inside of the glass, and down onto the Bass. It will sink about halfway down into the Bass, but will float back to the top. If you pour too fast the Guiness will stay intermingled and you end up with a frothy brown drink rather than a Black and Tan. Like I said, it still tastes good, so no big deal. It just doesn’t look as good or provide the same sense of accomplishment.

By no means do you use an alternative for the Bass- Killians, for example, is prettied up Budweiser and is completely inferior. I know a guy who makes them with Killians. DON’T DO IT. IT’S NOT WORTH IT! If you’re going to spend the extra on Guiness, spend the extra on Bass to go with it.

(As an aside, when I’m watching football I often run to the kitchen and pour the two gleefully together, uncaring as to the asthetics. So in all reality there is no such a thing as failure.)

Man are they delicious. Please report back to me once you’ve tried it and tell me if it works for you. Here endeth the lesson.

• GG - even Jesus drank wine and recognized the inferiority of water (and changed it).  :-P 
    Come to the dark side, brother.

88 -  Thanks for all the info!  Now I have no excuse for not trying.  I’ll let you know how it works, and if I’m ever in the neighborhood, you’ll have to show me your smooth expert techniques.  By the way, I’m somewhat of a beer snob (about what I drink, but you can have whatever you want), and I know Killian’s, Amberbock, Bud Select and the like are only marginally better than their most popular products.  I can’t stand mainstream American beer - it’s not beer, and the only American thing about it is that it’s cheap.  If you’ve got other recommendations, let me know.

Ok, so has anyone tried brewing beer?  It’s about time that I do another batch and wanted to discuss experience.

• Yep… Did the “Mr. Beer” thing 2 years ago…

Too easy to get contamination from stuff in the air…

3 batches fine, 4th was… was… was…

Undrinkable is too mild.  Toxic is too extreme, but not by much :-)

@Jermofoot:

GG - even Jesus drank wine and recognized the inferiority of water (and changed it).  :-P 

lol… That was another “made-my-day” posts, thanks man…

GG

• @ncscswitch:

Yep… Did the “Mr. Beer” thing 2 years ago…

Too easy to get contamination from stuff in the air…

3 batches fine, 4th was… was… was…

Undrinkable is too mild.  Toxic is too extreme, but not by much :-)

No surprise…Mr. Beer is to brewing as an Easy Bake Oven is to actual baking.  You get something, but not what you could with the right equipment…
    Contamination is the #1 problem with brewing beer (besides waiting for it to finish  :lol: ), and if you get past that, you should turn out good batches every time.

@Guerrilla:

@Jermofoot:

GG - even Jesus drank wine and recognized the inferiority of water (and changed it).  :-P 

lol… That was another “made-my-day” posts, thanks man…

GG

Hehe…no problem.  That’s partly why I’m here.  FYI, I like water too (I buy filtered from my store - can’t stand the tap water usually), but there is a time and place for everything!

• we should have a thread about water… i am sick and tired of bottled water … tap is the best… evian is a scam and it started the water thing. Only because french water is like mexican water both poison.

• nc and Ni,
    thanx!
    @88:

Are you sure water’s a poison…?

25 years ago Greater Cincinnati water was declared to have over 100 unidentified micro-organisms!  I’m sure some local bigwig micro-whateverologist has since named them all after his kids.  Though maybe some of them have evolved into politicians since my H2O edykashun…
    I’m a little behind on my local water facts…Greater Cincinnati area(Northern KY, Southwest OH and Southesat IN) recently updated to what was then “the best filtration system in the country.” Ha-ha! like I’m gonna believe that.

• Well, since the Cuyahoga River the source of Cleveland, OH’s water supply CAUGHT FIRE in the 1970’s, things have improved in terms of tap water :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m