How could Germany have won the war?

• Germany could never have taken over the whole world alone. Germany and Japan together have better odds, but still not really possible. Japan did force the US to divert resources to china and the pacific, but yeah, Jap didn’t really do much. We can both agree that Jap was better than Italy though right?

• Freaky!!!
    I went to post and was told anther post had been added.  I went back and refreshed…
    NO NEW POST!!

Cra87 was already there with “Germany could never…”

I reread page one and jumped to page four to do a quick update.

I recall an old, long lost post by “The Ol’ Gang”. Many have moved on to other things, but I read…

one suggestion to help Germany was an attack on Japan’s part.

1) Japan should have hit the OIL REFINERIES ON HAWAII!!

This would have set the US Defense/offense perimiter back 2000 miles.  Leaving San D., Los A. and San F. open to attack…Needing more defense!!

2) Larger German U-boat #s would have helped cut the convoy lifeline.

1. Kicking Allied 4ss @ Dunkirk woulda hurt.

2. Finishing off the BEF airfields woulda been smarter than getting angry at one lost bomber.(Attack on Brit airfields was redirected to bomb London.)

5)Having winter uniforms available for german troops who would be in the rodina from June, 1941 through December, 1941 woulda been a good ideer.  A flawless Barbie Plan on a front that long woulda been a miracle.  As it was the Reds almost lost it.  #s was about their only advantage. And Zhukov.

• Japan should have invaded Hawaii and sunk large ship in the Panama canal

• 2007 AAR League

Hitlers own battle plan was implemented for the attack on belguim, and the low countries.  Belgians boasted many great fortresses to stop an invasion and germany cut through them, impressively and with alot of artillery.  Holland was quick work, france then to norway. 
    It was a good initial plan.

Japan was a huge power.  In some naval battles i argue that luck was just on our side.  Japan had a huge fleet.  Somehow we outmanueverd it.  The fighting for the islands was intense and way harder than the germans for us.  The logistics of getting supplies all the way across the ocean was a hamper which the japanese knew.  If Japan didnt screw with china, they could have been able to take Austrailia, but such a landmass would be tough to garrison.  Hell even with them in china they had a chance to take Austrailia, albeit a small one.  Without a nuke or bio or chem weapons there was no way in hell of taking japan– only with a ton of casualties.

• After reading most of the post it seems that Germany should have picked off one enemy at a time Hitler made to many fronts and thus did what most great nations before their demise(Rome) was the unability to keep what he had and  both defend and to be able to gain ground. Japan maybe could have done more but When your on an Island and your getting your ships blown up there is really little you can do.

• 2007 AAR League

just little things that the axis didn’t do ended up being bigger problems as the war went on…

from what I understand, Japan actually had some of the best submarines around that time… where they using them effectively to sink supply ships etc?? not really…
    Like Swtich pointed out earlier… Japan while it had the initiative after the pear Harbour attack could of did a lot more damage to the ship-building yards, some oil supply etc… (which would of bought them the time to finish the air-fields at full strenght on there bottom laying islands etc…) Japan knew well they would have to be on the defensive pretty much after they hit the united states. and that was there plan actually just to make a defensive perimeter that included Midway island…

If Japan could of produced many more subs and used them effectively… it would have had a more huge effect…that means the states would have to transfer ships from there atlantic fleets that were busy as it was with the german u-boats… (especially in 1942 when U-boats were being replaced faster then they were being destroyed and they were enjoying huge success at this time in the atlantic.

also i’m under the understanding… most of the factories for the allies were being run by the ladies… the axis never caught on to this effect to closer to the end of the war…( I’m just saying they didn’t capitalize on there production when they could of, definetly hurt as the war progressed.)

The Germans should of used the prisoners more effectively instead of killing them all. Also the attack on Russia wasn’t totally there doom, the “DOOM” of the germans was they wern’t treating anybody nicely…
    for instance when they invaded russia early on…Ukraine and them western states of russia were at first actually “Happy” they were being liberated from the Russians/Stalin. my point is if the germans had treated them nicely here and went along with the yes we are liberating you from the evil stalin propaganda. they would of helped the germans by lots of means also joining there armies and huge ranks. but this was not the case. the SS came in right away and started exterminating tons of people right away…

this is my short take on it. long post i know.

• @NoMercy:

The Germans should of used the prisoners more effectively instead of killing them all. Also the attack on Russia wasn’t totally there doom, the “DOOM” of the germans was they wern’t treating anybody nicely….
    for instance when they invaded russia early on…Ukraine and them western states of russia were at first actually “Happy” they were being liberated from the Russians/Stalin. my point is if the germans had treated them nicely here and went along with the yes we are liberating you from the evil stalin propaganda. they would of helped the germans by lots of means also joining there armies and huge ranks. but this was not the case. the SS came in right away and started exterminating tons of people right away…

this is my short take on it. long post i know.

Thats a very good point.  Imagine if the Germans had treated Jews good.  You never know, maybe they could have recruited several thousand Jewish men to fight for them.  But of course Hitler hated everyone, so that possibility was ruled out.

• Thats kinda like saying “if Satan didnt want to harm people” The entire concept of Hitler was to destroy what he regarded as unfit to live in a triumphant German Reich. Simply no method could be accomodating to keep them alive for such a purpose.

• @Imperious:

Thats kinda like saying “if Satan didnt want to harm people” The entire concept of Hitler was to destroy what he regarded as unfit to live in a triumphant German Reich. Simply no method could be accomodating to keep them alive for such a purpose.

And thats why he failed to win WWII.  :evil:

• This is all just regurgitated bits and pieces from history books.  How many of you have went to Russian or German or any Allied archives,or interviewed people who were actually there,to come up with your conclusions?  :roll:  Quit posting “if-this-would-have-happened,then-that-could-have-happened”.  99 percent of the posts on this subject are plagiaristic in one form or another,especially Imperious Leaders drivel.

• @balaf:

In some naval battles i argue that luck was just on our side.

Midway Islands naval battle alone was a big Ouch!

Lotsa American mistakes in that one but the Japs made a coupla more…

Japs thought they sank the entire US carrier fleet at Midway…
    USS Hornet & USS Enterprise, but in reality…
    they sank the USS Yorktown 1 and 1/2 times!!

• The Germans did use POW’s to work on some projects, like the V-2 missles.
    I think I heard somewhere that the Japs used Subs in formations instead of supply line cutting stealth missions.

And I also agree with Hydra.

• 99 percent of the posts on this subject are plagiaristic in one form or another,especially Imperious Leaders drivel.

New concept: If you don’t like the thread don’t post in it… simple :roll:

BTW i just pulled that idea from a book and the internet. :-D

edited by Imperious for clarity.

• @Imperious:

99 percent of the posts on this subject are plagiaristic in one form or another,especially Imperious Leaders drivel.

LOL! if it wasnt soo funny i’d cut that flame off at the head. I like how you added to the thread with your own take that has nothing to do with anything. New concept: If you don’t like the thread don’t post in it… simple :roll:

BTW i just pulled that idea from a book and the internet.

OMGWTFBBQ!!  You got pwned by IL!!  :-D

• Easy guys…

• Lets stick to the topic guys. Everybody has a take and to not reflect on History’s success or failures is in itself a failure.

“If you dont learn from the past you will repeat it” as the saying goes ( not from the internet)

Hitler didnt learn from Napoleon. He didnt even read a book or the Internet to see he was commiting the same mistake. Thats why its important to learn the why and why not.

• Im curious about so many “other” answers… what choices would you guys have made?

• @Imperious:

Lets stick to the topic guys. Everybody has a take and to not reflect on History’s success or failures is in itself a failure.

“If you dont learn from the past you will repeat it” as the saying goes ( not from the internet)

Hitler didnt learn from Napoleon. He didnt even read a book or the Internet to see he was commiting the same mistake. Thats why its important to learn the why and why not.

Al Gore had not invented the internet yet. :)

But you are right, Pre-41 Hitler somewhat paid attention to history (no 2 front war), then sudenly “forgot” what Napolean’s fiasco should have taught him.

Squirecam

• Forgive this for being simplistic.

The successful assassination of Hitler early in the war would have done wonders for the Reich.

Less economy/ trains tied up in the ‘final solution’.

Liberation of eastern Europe/ White Russia/ Ukraine rather than war of extermination against the ‘inferior’ slavic peoples. This would have lead to much less partisan activity behind the lines, and would have provided easier access to food/ shelter/ conscripts etc.- rather than a population that quickly learned it had to resist or be killed.

Sober choices regarding Stalingrad/ Kursk/ Battle of the Bulge etc. These battles cost the Wehrmacht hundreds of thousands of lives and thousands of armored vehicles/ artillery/ aircraft. Each loss was another broken vertabrae in Germany’s back. All of them were the result of Hitler’s personal hubris. Stalingrad could have been bypassed- instead the entire 6th Army was consumed and marked the official turning point on the East Front and the war in general. Kursk was pure stubbornness- the Red Army had over 10,000 pieces of artillery prepared, massive anti-tank earthworks, and outnumbered the German armor by over 2 -1, and knowing this Hitler still ordered Operation Citadel to continue. What a dufus.

Less resources spent on ‘wonder’ weapons and V1 &2 (Vengeance) rockets. Negligible effect on the war, large amount of brain power and resources wasted. Again, this was personal and not rational.

As said earlier in this thread, winter clothing for the start of Barbarossa.

Implementation of total war economy. Hitler insisted on having life in the Reich stay as normal as possible. Oops. In the meantime Russian women were flying Yaks and driving T-34s, American women were working their asses off on assembly lines producing Shermans, and all the while German women were getting busy trying to push out as many aryan babies as possible. Another mistake.

Allowing Goering to lose focus on the prize during the Battle of Britain. The RAF was exhausted and all but defeated. A few stray bombs fell on London by mistake, and the next thing you know the Luftwaffe is going after cities rather than the battered British air force. This break allowed them to recoup, and Britain remained alive and eventually became the staging ground for D-Day.

There are a bunch more.

If Hitler had been offed, and his generals had taken control of the state, Germany would have avoided myriad disasters and most likely would have kicked in Russia’s door.

Thank god all the assassination attempts failed.

• Yes… most of that is true except that if Reinhard Heydrich was not also assassinated he would then have been the Reich’s new leader because if Goering took over he would be murdered in 5 minutes… nobody wanted him to rule because he was fully incompetent. The only man who could usurp power would be somebody like Heydrich the “blond beast of terror” or somebody like Manstein or Rommel. This is not without precedent. In WW1 Ludendorf basically usurped power by 1918 from the Kaiser.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m