• Well, I was going to post this IN the thread, but alas that can no longer be done.

In another thread, F_alk was recently berated for responding in kind to certain provocative remarks from a certain member of this board who was not likewise sanctioned.  Yet, this other board member routinely engages in the same type of inflamatory behavior that got F_alk sanctioned.  In point of fact, I’ll point out my own case an an example where I responded in kind to this individual’s remarks ( just as F_alk did) and got THAT thread locked out as a result.

2 different list members, both dealing with the same type of extremely inflamatory rhetoric posted by the same list member.

You know, the Mods might want to take a little closer look at the one poster that is in common with both of these events, rather than laying the blame on the effected individuals.  In short, examine the cause instead of repeatedly reacting to the effect.

Not telling you how to run the boards… but which is worse:  deliberately seeking to push other people’s buttons to inflame the list, or that same person getting exactly what they wanted when they chose to push those buttons?

• There is a difference between a comment that may be viewed as offense and a comment in defensive reaction to a comment that may be viewed as offensive.

Solution: Everyone stops making ad hominum attacks, everyone stops taking things which are not attacks as attacks, and I get off my ass and finish with the new moderator.

• I don’t want to make this any more hairy than it could be, but I feel like I might as well say it since the ice is broken.

Yanny, I felt like you were more interested in your arguement with certain people than imposing the same restrictions on them as has been done on others.  I’m not saying you’re not doing your job (that’s up to you), but if you allow some of the comments that have been said recently and bar others that in my opinion aren’t as bad, then things aren’t even.  I’d bet that if things weren’t as tight on F_alk, he’d discuss more and less bickering between everyone would result.

Now it seems like someone makes a comment in bad taste, and when F_alk points them out, which are often valid points, they are allowed to remain.  What’s more, is they are excused by the mods, and then someone takes a potshot at F_alk.  I don’t feel like I’m in the middle of this, so I thought my point would be somewhat objective in the matter.

Either way, I’m glad the board is here, I love to post and read what everyone has to say.  No real complaints, just my 2 cents.

• I understand Jermo. Couple of things:

1. There is a fine line between a personal attack and an offensive opinion. F_alk is not one neccessarily to initiate a personal attack, but he will respond with one in defense against an offensive opinion.

2. I hate to lock threads, especially good ones, unless it is absolutely going to blow up. Discussion is a good thing.

3. Personally attacks against F_alk are, and have always been, treated the same as personal attacks against everyone else. I am human, and I can’t get every one, nor is my judgement perfect on every one.

4. Seriously… everyone needs to tone the tention down. Not just F_alk. Debate the issues, not each other. If someone says something that offends you, just answer them in kind. Kind of like how I was trying to prove to marine in that thread how flawed his opinion is :)

5. Sometimes I like to take down the offensive posters inside of a debate using my uber skills. Two weeks until my next debate at Boston University, and I like my practice. I suggest to F_alk that he (being a very intelligent man), tries to do the same instead of attacking their grammar and spelling.

• Well then let me just sum this up…

Put Marine36/M36, whatever his ID today, under the SAME scrutiny you put me, F_alk, or anyone else.

If you want to let one person get away with totally crude, ridiculous, offensive, or otherwise derogatory comments, then let the rest of us get away with it too.

Or, shut M36 down when he gets into his non-thinking, irritating, insulting, condescending mode.

Pick one.  I don’t care which.  Just be fair about it.  Either let F_alk be, or reign M36 in.

• M36 is under the same scrutiny as everyone else. Non-thinking, irratating, and condescending are not against forum rules.

Personal attacks are. They occur on both sides, and again will not be tolerated. But when the word “hun” is used in a debate about Germantic history, it isn’t a personal attack against F_alk. Neither are countless complaints that I have recieved about women being disrepected, German history being misrepresented, M36 hating non-WASPs, etc.

If I lashed out every time someone called a liberal a communist, I’d have banned myself by now.

And further, all the threads I have locked I have done so for being Off-Topic.  I’m simply sick of hearing the “he said this or he said that” BS.

I also make the last post in the thread saying something to the effect of being off-topic.

If someone has a thread locked that is not a slight against the thread creator or the person who just happened to have the last comment in the thread.  It is also not an endorsement of anyone or anything posted in that thread, it just means the thread is off topic.  That’s it.  No conspiracy or hidden agenda.

We’re not out to get any users or show favoritism.  Either ignore what you consider ignorant posts or ignorant users.  That goes for both sides.

I’ve posted several times in Yanny’s “Personal Arguments” Thread giving you people fair warning of what will happen.

My hope was that you guys would learn that maybe turning the other cheeck or ignoring the stupid posts is a viable option, otherwise threads will continue to be locked.

As Yanny pointed out, it is not against Forum rules to be stupid or ignorant.  If you don’t like a Topic then don’t post in it.

To everyone, don’t take every post so personally.  It is an Internet Message Board for goodness sake.

NOTE:

This post is not directed at any one user but to the entire Community.

Thank You.

• Hey, It’s just like in elementary school.  The kid who throws the first punch isn’t seen/caught.  It’s the kid who goes off and makes a scene/escalates the situation.

Or in sports.  The first taunt/smack on the helmet is unobserved(pre-Instant Replay), but the responding punch/in your faceguard taunt is flagged.

Responding in kind to insults/taunt lowers you to the child’s/barbarian’s level…
    and you both seem childish/barbaric.

• im agreeing with yanny. GENERALLY (though not exclusively) it seems to happen that someone will express an offensive opinion, but still a an actual position (not just a personal attack, but an actual political/social/etc. position) and then falk will be offended by it, and retaliate with a personal attack. It has happened the other way, and it has happened that falk simply retaliates with an equally offensive position in an “eye for an eye” mentality. but i tend to see the other situation more. i dont agree with the offensive opinions presented, i find them ignorant, and generally quite stupid as well, but they are still opinions that they are entitled to hold and express. on the locked forum in question, M36 was expressing an offensive (ignorant) opinion, yanny was trying to show him why, and Falk, reading the opinion as a attack perhaps, responded with an attack. so i think yanny acted appropriately. M36’s position may have been way more offensive than the actual attack that falk made, but M36 was entitled to express his opinion, no matter how inflammatory it was, since it was not directed as an attack at a specific member of the board. if he had said “screw all non-americans on this board” i think that would have been different, because he is directing it at people on this board, rather than expressing an ignorant and offensive political position, that non-americans are not less valuable/important (whatever) than americans.

i would say to anyone who really is bothered by M36 (or anyone else for that matter), make sure what he says is a personal attack before you cry foul, and try to ignore it if its not. if you respond in some way, make it either conducive to a discussion, or just present an equally ignorant political position as a mockery to make them see why their position is flawed. if you respond with a personal attack, then youve done wrong.

• @El:

Hey, It’s just like in elementary school.  The kid who throws the first punch isn’t seen/caught.  It’s the kid who goes off and makes a scene/escalates the situation.

Or in sports.  The first taunt/smack on the helmet is unobserved(pre-Instant Replay), but the responding punch/in your faceguard taunt is flagged.

Responding in kind to insults/taunt lowers you to the child’s/barbarian’s level…
    and you both seem childish/barbaric.

This is just a test….only a test…

Anyway, I think you mods are doing fine.  I know it’s a difficult job, and you know the turf better than I do.  Like I said, no real complaints, I just want to discuss stuff - precisely why this thread is as important, if not more, than the others.  It’s a privilege for everyone to be here, and I’d rather not blow it for myself or anyone else.

Good luck on your debates, Yanny.  I’m sure this is great practice.

My only question (in jest):

Is it the ignorant person that makes the ignorant comment, or the ignorant comment that makes the ignorant person?

• Well,…. it would really be funny if this thread gets locked next. :-D

Anyway, I understand Falk. He does get teamed up on sometimes. A polar opposite of Jen… oh, sweet Jesus. He’s a Euro-boy. No big deal. Yo, Falk!! You take these boards too seriously, bro. Axis and Allies dot org has no influence on reality. For the most part, it is just a bunch of people touting out a bunch of bullsh!t by pushing their own beliefs and agendas in a fantasizing fashion. You think anything typed here is going to affect your day to day life. I could spend years on here trying to get M36 or RB or any right wing square to see things in a different light but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Just the same as they are not going to change your mind or mine. Keep that in your head and I think you won’t find yourself having a curse-fest. Trust me, it takes alot of effort but everyone should try. Not just you and me. Everyone :wink:

• You think anything typed here is going to affect your day to day life

Very astute observation… I have also pointed out in the past that we play with plastic toy soldiers and tanks and are called adults…because we roll dice instead of using BB guns to “destroy” the enemy forces. That is the only difference. In these political “discussions” we build sandcastles of words, only to watch others throw water on them like so many second graders do. So we are basically still children… just older.

• First of all, thanks for the support

@Janus1:

on the locked forum in question, M36 was expressing an offensive (ignorant) opinion, yanny was trying to show him why, and Falk, reading the opinion as a attack perhaps, responded with an attack.

Look, is “Screw you” an attack or a an offensive opinion?
    To any non-american, what M36 wrote was exactly this:
    “Screw you”.

since it was not directed as an attack at a specific member of the board.

As i mentioned in the locked thread my attack was also not directed at a specific member, yet Yanny interpreted it like that. I used some “politicians wording” that where interpreted by Yanny. Yannny chose to interprete my wording neglecting that my accusations also fitted and fits on more than one member on the board and in total ignorance of wether i do that attack commonly. As  i can’t repeat it, and you have no idea whatsoever what it was, just be assured, i have criticed people very close to me for for that behavior - although in nicer words, i just copied the starting words of M36 … which as we all know are not attacking or insulting just a bit “offensive”.

I as the only one who was targeted by M36 should really start to understand that his attack wasn’t meant as such. As we say in germany:  “You me too”.

if he had said “screw all non-americans on this board” i think that would have been different, because he is directing it at people on this board

I did not direct it at members on the this board at all. It was all Yannys interpretation. I can’t help it that he admitted that he is partly agreeing with M36 on that matter. This helps me to understand why he chose his interpretation though (that i was not personally attacked, yet my attack was personal)

Anyway ….

this board has been overrun by Nazi adoring idiots lately. It is populated people who admit they are fascist, and is a forum to the most disgusting and inhumane ideas and ideologies. Personal integrity is higher ranked than the truth, in general the truth has a very hard stand here. There once was a time where “Painting with a broad brush” was critized (well, only if it was against the USA). Now it is in fact protected (only if it comes from the USA).

• @F_alk:

First of all, thanks for the support

@Janus1:

on the locked forum in question, M36 was expressing an offensive (ignorant) opinion, yanny was trying to show him why, and Falk, reading the opinion as a attack perhaps, responded with an attack.

Look, is “Screw you” an attack or a an offensive opinion?

Depends on the context.

To any non-american, what M36 wrote was exactly this:
    “Screw you”.

what he actually wrote was:

You are absoulty right. Screw anyone that not American (with a few  exceptions) Im happy with that.

which was a reply to Jermofoots post (sorry to drag you into this) containing the following:

Now we are setting an anti-Muslim tone in the United States, which is a lovely addition to our resume of intolerance to other groups, such as native Spanish-speakers (defined by some in the all-inclusive term Mexicans) and humans of darker hues.  We create conflict in the Middle East - I guess we assumed there wasn’t enough already - and, in return, they resort to bombings and guerrilla tactics to drive us from “their” land, which seems fair as we went in with bombs and guns ablazing.  Honestly, I think the US acts like an attention-whore.

Where it seems to me that M36 was being sarcastic.  Or maybe this is really his viewpoint, ignorant though it may be.  But the context clearly indicates to me that this isn’t directed at you personally Falk, the “you” part was added by yourself…or else there is another instance in another locked thread you can show me.  I’ll also give you the benefit of a possible misunderstanding here as English is not your native language (though it is very good, much better than my German).  But this being the case, you should allow for misunderstandings on your part.

since it was not directed as an attack at a specific member of the board.

As i mentioned in the locked thread my attack was also not directed at a specific member, yet Yanny interpreted it like that. I used some “politicians wording” that where interpreted by Yanny. Yannny chose to interprete my wording neglecting that my accusations also fitted and fits on more than one member on the board and in total ignorance of wether i do that attack commonly. As  i can’t repeat it, and you have no idea whatsoever what it was, just be assured, i have criticed people very close to me for for that behavior - although in nicer words, i just copied the starting words of M36 … which as we all know are not attacking or insulting just a bit “offensive”.

I as the only one who was targeted by M36 should really start to understand that his attack wasn’t meant as such. As we say in germany:  “You me too”.

if he had said “screw all non-americans on this board” i think that would have been different, because he is directing it at people on this board

I did not direct it at members on the this board at all. It was all Yannys interpretation. I can’t help it that he admitted that he is partly agreeing with M36 on that matter. This helps me to understand why he chose his interpretation though (that i was not personally attacked, yet my attack was personal)

I don’t have your reply available so I cannot judge whether or not Yanny is inconsistent here.  But part of being a moderator is that moderators have to make a judgement call.  It isn’t always going to be perfect.  And if you or I disagree we do need to live with the decision.

Anyway ….

this board has been overrun by Nazi adoring idiots lately. It is populated people who admit they are fascist, and is a forum to the most disgusting and inhumane ideas and ideologies. Personal integrity is higher ranked than the truth, in general the truth has a very hard stand here. There once was a time where “Painting with a broad brush” was critized (well, only if it was against the USA). Now it is in fact protected (only if it comes from the USA).

Did saying this part make you feel any better?

• he didnt say “screw you”, he said “screw anyone who is not american”. while you are not american, and thus, fall into this grouping, that does not make it a personal attack, since he wasnt singling you out, or directing it at you. when you said “screw anyone who hasnt mastered their own language”, you were directing it at marine (that was the intent i read, and apparently yanny did as well. if this wasnt the case, then i apologize for misunderstanding you). the difference is subtle, and you dont need to be all happy and content that marine says things like that. but its a point of view (albeit ignorant). if you just alter your retorts to be more general, as a satirical response, you will not only be able to express your anger, but i think the point will be made better. i dont think yanny acted innappropriately here. personally, i say just ignore the ignorant posts, or else try to reply to them by trying to educate them. but if you find you cant do that, at least refrain from personal attacks.

• Maybe its a little late, but…

My post was meant to sum up a growing view of Americans who are fed up with other countires trying to regulate us. It was not my intention to make a personnal attack.

I think it is a little late seeing a thread is locked…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m