• Why is there the rule that industrial complexes cannot be built on islands, even if the island meets the IPC requirements? You should at least be allowed to build minor ICs on islands.

• Customizer

I’m not sure why either. You could just house rule it.

• The rulebook states:
    Industrial complexes can’t be built on islands (see “Islands,” page 8).
    On page 8, I find:
    An island or island group is a single territory surrounded entirely by one or more sea zones. A sea zone can contain at most one island or island group, which is considered one territory.

Does that mean that Japan is an island and that I am not allowed to build a factory there?

• @Shaniana:

Does that mean that Japan is an island and that I am not allowed to build a factory there?

Yes, Japan is an island :-D but you don’t need to build a factory there because one already exists!

• @Faramir:

Why is there the rule that industrial complexes cannot be built on islands, even if the island meets the IPC requirements? You should at least be allowed to build minor ICs on islands.

I used to follow the alpha discussion on the designers message board when this game was made, and you cant build factories on islands because of balance. The designer want you to ship all your infantry from USA, and not pop up on any island, except Japan, Britain, Australia and New Zealand, which is too big to be islands. The same with China, no factories there too, and that is because again the designer in this case did want to see infantry pop up in any territory without factories. On the bright side, the designer gave Norway a value of 3 IPC and the possibility for a major IC, even if the real world Norway was then, and still is, a cold mountain range inhabited by 3 million hillbillies with no railroad nor industry what so ever. And that too is because of game balance. So get the clue here and start looking at AA as a game and not a historic simulation

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

This rule is a carry over from Anniversary, and the subsequent Pacific 40 first edition.

Japan used to build factories on the Dutch East Inde’s and absolutely crush the allies/india.

It’s a game balancer.

Later - issues like the American Norway Major came up, and against created game breaking techniques that were counter to the fun of the game.

House-rule it different if that’s your groups preference.  But my experience is that most people don’t like being chince’d by cheap maneuvers.

• In my games no majors are allowed to be built but you can upgrade an original minor to a major. IMO this is more realistic.

• @Faramir:

Why is there the rule that industrial complexes cannot be built on islands, even if the island meets the IPC requirements? You should at least be allowed to build minor ICs on islands.

Because a minor on PI if Japan doesn’t declare war is OP for the US.  Instead of 3 moves from the islands, they are now in the middle of it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m