You and the kids can soon sit on Satans lap and take pictures.

• '12

I don’t think sexual orientation can be compared to a choice to believe in god or not too.  Being gay is not a belief whereas religion is.  If a child was brought up with no concept of god, I doubt they would believe in one.  A gay child could be brought up with no concept of being gay and yet still be gay.

There is only one type of gay, either you are or are not well I suppose there is being Bi.  Most of the religions have to be wrong, they all can’t be correct.  Therefore we know some true believers have it wrong if not all of them.

So the Pope defrocked 500 priests recently and most of them for sexual abuse of children.  It was asked how many of those child abusers were reported to the police and charged.  I believe zero was the answer.  Any other group would be charged with organized crime for that.

• Customizer

@Young:

I spent some time with the Raelians who believe all life on earth including humans was created by extra terrestrials using genetic manipulation.

they claim…

-the garden of eden was a laboratory
    -when they created man, they needed genetic DNA from that man to create a woman (Adams rib)
    -one of the ETs unlawfully explained to Eve the secrets of their scientific creation (the snake and the apple)
    -due to fear of their new knowledge, they banished Adam and Eve to be primitive in a hostile environment
    -some ETs were genetically engineering monsters (dinosaurs) so they destroyed the earth with fire
    -later they destroyed the earth with a flood, but not before they saved DNA samples of all spices on a space ship
    -they abducted men, took them to their planet, showed them their science secrets, and returned them as prophets
    -the burning bush that was not consumed by flames was a light from a space ship during the Jesus abduction
    -Jonah was swallowed by a submarine like space ship (not a whale) where he stayed for X days learning science
    -the resurrection of jesus was made possible by cloning, and eternal life can be rewarded in heaven (their planet)

As outrageous as it seems, why not consider the possibility if we can talk about a bearded man on a cloud, a horned devil with hooves, talking snakes, evil apples, elephants, rhinos, and giraffes on a wooden boat, or a magical life after death even if you physically explode into a billion pieces?

This is all nonesense, though the description of God landing on Mt Sinai is remarkably like a spaceship coming down.

Jesus did not die on the cross, he was drugged. Read the book.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Everyone seems to forget that in Genesis “GOD” himself appears before the israelite elders on a “Slab of Saphire”.

They also seem to forget the “Nephilium”, who were the “sons of god” who took the “daughters of men”.  God says “My soul cannot rest with man”.  Then although not directly connected, a sentence later, he floods the earth.

Hell is also not mentioned in the bible.  “Pit of fire” is however.

What I want to know is the TRUTH; and why so many people look to use today’s coloquial understandings, as opposed to the original/ancient ones.  Like the use of the Cherub of a symbol.

• @wheatbeer:

My wording might have been a little ambiguous. I meant, specifically, do people choose whether or not they believe in God?

Someone might choose to affiliate with a particular religion/denomination (or quit one) because of their beliefs. But did they make a choice to believe in God?

Yes, it is a choice to believe in God (that is highly influenced by your upbringing/environment).  Why wouldn’t it?  Before religion existed, or to those areas of the world that lack a singular deity belief system, they can’t choose what doesn’t exist.

• @wheatbeer:

Does anyone here view either faith or atheism as a choice? (this is a serious question and not merely rhetorical)

I certainly view it has a choice. The greatest predictor of what religion a child will follow when it grows up is which one its parents followed. Even amongst the believers everyone has a different vision of what or who God is. That suggests to me it is most certainly a choice.

• @frimmel:

@wheatbeer:

Does anyone here view either faith or atheism as a choice? (this is a serious question and not merely rhetorical)

I certainly view it has a choice. The greatest predictor of what religion a child will follow when it grows up is which one its parents followed. Even amongst the believers everyone has a different vision of what or who God is. That suggests to me it is most certainly a choice.

Most adherents of islam never got a choice.
    It is the only faith they ever knew until adulthood, at which time fear keeps them from leaving.
    Most who choose outside that faith are quickly and violently killed, reinforcing such fear.

• @Linkon:

@frimmel:

@wheatbeer:

It is the only faith they ever knew until adulthood, at which time fear keeps them from leaving.
    Most who choose outside that faith are quickly and violently killed, reinforcing such fear.

Sure they can choose another faith. They can’t choose to tell anyone about it or openly show it. As I pointed out earlier what people believe and what they say they believe aren’t always the same. If you are a theist of some sort wouldn’t the existence of free will suggest gods want you to choose having faith?

• @Linkon:

@frimmel:

@wheatbeer:

Well, besides pulling something straight out of your rear, you essentially agreed with what frim and I said.

• Oh look a religious debate on a board game forum! I’ll go get my popcorn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m