• Washington DC and Ottawa!  :wink:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You’re OTTAWA?  (out a wha)

Although I do remember the surprise on a certain party’s “face” (post) when I took Washington DC on like round 4 with Germany back in Alpha 2.  (Feignted Sea Lion and went down to Gibraltar instead, he musta thought I was going for Egypt or something because he didn’t defend Washington.)

• UK can scramble 3 aircraft from Scotland and UK (for those who don’t remember, weren’t aware, you could not scramble from the UK or Scotland at all, OOB)

If Germany buys nothing r1, and UK makes itself juicy enough.

You can do:

1. A german sbr on london r2
    2. Buy trannies only (and dd if needed).
    3. Then do another sbr on Italys turn vs the airbase and suddenly you dont need to waste any units defending from the now not present scramble.

If Germany already had 85-90% odds it might get closer to 99,9%. Then its bye bye britain and still alot of ground units left to kick Soviet. In ll its close to impossible to defend london and hit z97 r1 as uk, even with 1sub bid.

Japan is ofc in a good position and require most US attention for the first 2-4 rounds so Germany/Italy is free to wreak havoc on Soviet. IC bombing is the way to go vs moscow after sealion. Just 4-5 bombers can shut down the soviet ecnonmy permanent, and that is an exelent task for stinking rich Italy.

Not making any purchases round 1 means you have lots opportunity for those units for the rest of the game.  Like the old poem, for want of a nail… …the war was lost.  (google it if you don’t know it, pretty good poem.)

• @Cmdr:

Not making any purchases round 1 means you have lots opportunity for those units for the rest of the game.

did you mean lots or lost?

I mean lost.  Dang typos!  I am referring, of course, to Opportunity Cost, the cost of being able to have that infantry/armor/plane had you purchased it in time that you now don’t have it.

• @ErwinRommel:

UK can scramble 3 aircraft from Scotland and UK (for those who don’t remember, weren’t aware, you could not scramble from the UK or Scotland at all, OOB)

If Germany buys nothing r1, and UK makes itself juicy enough.

You can do:

1. A german sbr on london r2
    2. Buy trannies only (and dd if needed).
    3. Then do another sbr on Italys turn vs the airbase and suddenly you dont need to waste any units defending from the now not present scramble.

If Germany already had 85-90% odds it might get closer to 99,9%. Then its bye bye britain and still alot of ground units left to kick Soviet. In ll its close to impossible to defend london and hit z97 r1 as uk, even with 1sub bid.

Japan is ofc in a good position and require most US attention for the first 2-4 rounds so Germany/Italy is free to wreak havoc on Soviet. IC bombing is the way to go vs moscow after sealion. Just 4-5 bombers can shut down the soviet ecnonmy permanent, and that is an exelent task for stinking rich Italy.

UK would of course buy defensively if you don’t buy anything round 1.  There is no reason not too, since your are a turn off from hurting russia efficiently.

• '17

@ghr2:

UK would of course buy defensively if you don’t buy anything round 1.  There is no reason not too, since your are a turn off from hurting russia efficiently.

Encouraging a UK1 London buy, without a G1 naval buy, is win-win for the Axis in my opinion. I agree with ER about saving some or all German IPC.

What is a round 1 Sea Lion buy for Germany?

I buy a carrier regardless where I go, it just makes sense.  So what if it’s a Carrier + Strategic Bomber or Carrier + 2 Transports (c’mon, 3 transports is just wise for Germany anyway, right?  And you don’t NEED the infantry on round 1 to kill Russia.)

Anyway, Sea Lion is always worth it if you calculate the battle cost, opportunity cost, and over all strategic situation.  The question should be, imho, is it worth it to do it on round 3?  Which again, really depends on what is defending there, but I am going to go out on a limb and say “no” since in most instances it isn’t worth the cost outlay to do it that early, IMHO.

• Russia is realy dead when Germany buys for 100 ipc mec and tanks and UK is bad positioned to help them anytime soon. Landunits in London have zero value untill you tranny them away.

• Or, you can do what my opponent did in my last game and buy 5 Battleships for Germany. Needless to say, Russia rolled right over him.

• @Makoshark13:

Or, you can do what my opponent did in my last game and buy 5 Battleships for Germany. Needless to say, Russia rolled right over him.

:lol:

@Makoshark13:

Or, you can do what my opponent did in my last game and buy 5 Battleships for Germany. Needless to say, Russia rolled right over him.

A battleship for the Caspian sea has always been a huge game changer for Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m