• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Oz,

Would it help if someone purchased you photoshop?  On the premise that this will be completed at some point?

Also… as to rules, If you included some of my “darkside” rules, or versions of them, like POW’s, as optional rules.

I would be ecstatic… and, liberal with software funding. :)

• There is a way to get photoshop 3, or something, for free. Adobe just gives it away as like a free trial thing or something because its so old.
    I just havent gotten around to it.

I got a new job where I am on call 24/7, so my free time has really taken a nose dive.

• Catching the bug again. (the hexes in this pic havent been adjusted yet)

I cant really get this style down. Does anyone have any suggestions for something a little more flashy than solid colors?
    Im going for the look of the original Europe game, but I think I may have to settle for solid colors. Nothing seems to look right.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/pubyr.jpg

• Bump to see if Oz is still tinkering w/map. Oz, I just ran across this project and hope you will continue it.

As far as coloring, I favor the pastel/faded colors you have chosen over the bold colors from The Global War 1939 (I have the smaller 2nd version of Tigers map). I also think a background is pretty cool, but a terrain type might be more appealing and help with the congestion that the roads are giving you (too many lines IMO). Plus many ppl would be interested in terrain causing movement issues like in Northern Italy etc….or you even developing some rules incorporating movement over mountains or rivers (major bridges etc).

To address the sz hexes, I really like that idea. Like you I thought sea movement in GW1939 was too fast and US to France/Spain or England in one move seemed over powering. The other problem we had w/GW1939 was it is only 3 moves from Romania to Moscow. Your map has the standard 4 spaces that will work much better IMO.

As far as the Sea Hexes, like I said I like what you have done hear. As you pointed out it will take 2 turns for US to get to England (assuming the DC naval base gives +1), but it will take 3 turns to get to Gibraltar or N Africa. It will also take 2 turns to get to Hawaii from southern Cal naval base (that seems too long as well). If you enlarged the scale of the hexes would that take care of some of the problems you have encountered near land w/o allowing for the leap frogging? By using a bit larger hex pattern it would still take the US 2 turns to get to England (doesn’t matter if they get closer as long as they can’t get next to the coast in 1 turn), but would most likely bring Gib or N Africa to 2 moves as well. I like expanding the ocean travel time, but it needs to be playable. A slightly larger hex pattern might also bring some of the island chains into one sz w/o moving them around too much in the Pacific as well. Just a suggestion to keep your thought process going.

• I know that this is far far down the line (if you do decide to resurrect this project).

1. The circles I’m assuming are for major cities. Some might have production centers or be linked to a victory point system. Don’t know if you had this in mind, but you could also make them all hubs of transportation. Most of them are 3-4 spaces apart, and it would be very cool if you could move a certain number of ground units up to 4 spaces over land (need to set a max of maybe 3-5 units hub to hub TBD in NCM only). You would need to have a direct path of territories controlled by your side (4 space max movement and must start and end at a hub). If you take a territory from your enemy you can’t produce units, but you can still use their rail or roads. It would make it worth while to capture these circle territories (not just bypass them), as well as defend them.

2. I like limiting the rounds of combat somehow to create contested territories. Not sure about rolling a dice per full round of play, but I can see how that could make things interesting and could represent things like a winter or rainy season. Maybe just a simple max of 2 or 3 rounds of combat determined by how many units in the battle. Give the upper hand to the attacker where he decides after each round to press on, or retreat. After the 3rd round of battle if the defender still has units the attacker can either stay full force to contest the territory, retreat in full, or split his forces retreating some, and leave the rest to contest.

Could also allow the defender some sort of retreat option after each round of battle? Each units rolls a dice.
    1-2 unit stays
    3-4 unit retreats
    5-6 unit removed from play (killed or POW)

1. Tweak to airbases allowing them to scramble to land territories? Could do dog fights/recon to upgrade a limited number of art etc… could have dog fights last two rounds max (conserve air units), then allow for retreats?

2. I know you will come up with a pretty cool convoy system making subs (maybe surface raiders) more valuable (but not overpowering unless ignored). Maybe assigning a raiding max to individual sz’s that had known convoy traffic linked back to individual powers (some sz’s could double dip multiple Powers). Maybe include some air defense in the “raiding phase” as the allies used airbases in Iceland, UK and other places to scout and protect convoys. If Iceland were to be where 2 or 3 sz’s intersect, that air base could scramble to multiple sz’s to protect convoys, or navy (some kind of sub detection roll?). Right now in G40 Iceland is pretty useless.

Anyway OZ, don’t give up just yet

• I gave up because putting the roundels all over the map and numbering everything got very tedious.

Combat would be limited to 3 rounds, and after that you can retreat or your can dig in, but this exposes you to counter attack.

Tanks (and mech when paired) would have some cool rules.
    First of all, they can roll to retreat as the defender after one round of combat. (you may only retreat half)
    Second, they could blitz into new combats.
    Because combats last 3 rounds, for mechs and tanks, if they participate in a combat that ends in the first or second round, they can blitz into another combat and fight for the remaining rounds. In this way Germany can really pour into Russia and France.

Not sure 100% what the city circles would do, but in the very least they would allow defending infantry to defend at 3 during the first round of combat. (representing how difficult it would be to take a city)

For movement, something like “city to city” might be possible.
    For instance, the IPC values of each city is how many units can use its rails to ride to any other city within 4 spaces (noncombat only)

• Wow, really nice map. I’ve done a home made map myself, and like some of the ideas you’ve done. My map also has circles rep. key areas. I like how many zones there are. I included two POW camps in mine. Africa looks harder than ever! I like Europe too.
    Starlight Sniper

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Love the hex sea zones.  Here is something TMTM posted on doing textures and wavy lines around borders using paint.net that might get you the texture you are looking for.

@TMTM:

I recently made a new module for abattlemap for the A&A Global 1940 http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=22555.0

In it I used the same color scheme as Axis & Allies Global War, I had to figured out how to do it and I kinda did… so I thought I’d share the process with anyone wanting to do the same:

How to make the textured colors in Axis & Allies Global War Variant

Using Paint.net, which can be downloaded at www.GetPaint.net

First I click New and size the new canvas as 60 x 60 pixels (we are creating an image which we�ll use later to fill the area�s of your map)

Select the base color and use the paint bucket to fill the new 60 x 60 canvas

Click on Effects � Noise � Add Noise and just adjust the intensity… I did around 25, but experiment for yourself.

Click on Effects � Blurs � Average Blur and set the radius at 3

Now our 60 x 60 image should look like the textured color we desired.

Save it as mynewcolor.bmp

Now the area on your map that you want to fill with your new textured color, you�ll need to get a plugin for Paint.net. found here http://www.sapphireonline.com/Downloads/PhotoFloodFillPlugIn.zip and just unzip it to the default C:\Program Files\Paint.NET/Effects folder and close and reopen Paint.net

Now with your map open, use the Magic wand and select the area you want to fill with the new color. Then click on Effects � Photo Flood Fill and for Photo File name we are going to use the file we just make mynewcolor.bmp and click ok and now your map will be filled with that color.

How to make waves like in Axis & Allies Global War Variant

I just used Effect � Object � Drop shadow and settings 0�d the blur and only adjusted widening. You might see waves on the land area… no worry… you need to use layers for each wave and the land color layer should be on top of the wave layers and will cover the waves on the land. I also recommend that on the layer you�ll use to make wave that that layer only have the lines you�d like to add waves to… remove all border lines etc so it doesn�t add waves to those etc.

Tip: Always use the duplicated layer, so your not adding effects to your outline layer, always save the original outline layer for other effects.

I use these in my recent module for A&A Global 1940 module at http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=22555.0 where I have the source files for download and you can see how I used them.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11672.msg773179#msg773179

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m