• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You know… after months of posts I think it’s safe to say that “Idioits Triggered the war” more than anything else.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

You know… after months of posts I think it’s safe to say that “Idioits Triggered the war” more than anything else.

That’s really the tragic thing about the war, and the reason I think it gets a little less attention than the Sequel; in WWII it was a clear struggle against evil, in WWI it was just men killing each other because their respective nations signed a piece of paper.

• Customizer

WWII was a struggle between two different brands of evil, at least on the eastern front. Some would say the capitalist west was not much better.

• @Flashman:

WWII was a struggle between two different brands of evil, at least on the eastern front. Some would say the capitalist west was not much better.

Hear, hear! There’s great naivety in calling one side evil and the other (the victor) good. All nations at war try to make the war seem legit by calling the opponents evil.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Granted, and the Russia vs. Germany example is especially valid. I suppose you could even call out America’s internment of Japanese as a brand of evil. I just find it hard to say the Nazi’s (gas chambers, ovens, genocide in general) and the Brits or the French are on the same level of “evil.”

I’m just saying that WWII was a little more clear cut (I mean, they had skulls on their caps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU  :lol:), whereas in WWI both sides tried to demonize the other, but in the end the motivations of the war were abstract politically (honoring treaties vs. trying to cleanse the world of non-Aryan scum).

• @LinkandMarioman:

@Flashman:

Hear, hear! There’s great naivety in calling one side evil and the other (the victor) good. All nations at war try to make the war seem legit by calling the opponents evil.

Um.  Yes, the USA had Japanese internment camps, but for the most part did abide by the Geneva convention as far we know (as well as the other Western Allies), and fought a way where they were attacked first.  The alliance with Russia was more of a ‘enemy of my enemy is my friend.’

The Axis on the other hand were the aggressors, tortured & killed a large population all over the world.  I suppose you could say that the firebombings and nuclear bombings were evil, but paled in comparison the the numbers of civilians the Axis put in the ground.

Not sure how anyone could say it was anything but a ‘just’ war and ‘good’ vs. ‘evil.’  Granted, not all Germans, Italians, and Japanese were evil, but enough were to start a world war.

Agreed that WWI isn’t the same type of war- Alliances spiraled out of control.

• Customizer

The Allies murdered more people in German death camps after the war than the Germans had killed there during it. The western Allies collaborated by sending “undesirables” back to Russian occupied zones knowing they were going to certain death. They chose not to know what happened at Katyn and elsewhere behind the Russian lines.

The biggest example of ethnic cleansing in the 20th century happened after WWII as a result of Churchill and Stalin redrawing the map of Europe and disposing of anyone who didn’t fit the picture, mainly Germans and Poles. Look at the map of Germany and Poland now compared to 1939. The differences represent entire populations being liquidated.

The only mitigation is that, probably, had the Axis won the picture would have been even more radically changed with corresponding human wastage.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

The Allies murdered more people in German death camps after the war than the Germans had killed there during it. The western Allies collaborated by sending “undesirables” back to Russian occupied zones knowing they were going to certain death. They chose not to know what happened at Katyn and elsewhere behind the Russian lines.

The biggest example of ethnic cleansing in the 20th century happened after WWII as a result of Churchill and Stalin redrawing the map of Europe and disposing of anyone who didn’t fit the picture, mainly Germans and Poles. Look at the map of Germany and Poland now compared to 1939. The differences represent entire populations being liquidated.

The only mitigation is that, probably, had the Axis won the picture would have been even more radically changed with corresponding human wastage.

:?
    Proof?

• Customizer

• @Flashman:

You need to separate the “Allies” between the “Western Allies” and “Russia/USSR.”  I don’t think the Russians were all that much better than the Germans.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

http://ia700402.us.archive.org/10/items/CrimesAndMercies/CrimesAndMercies.pdf

History is written by the victors.

It’s the same reason we have tanks named after that bastard Sherman and his army of rapists.

• @ossel:

@Flashman:

It’s the same reason we have tanks named after that b��t��d Sherman and his army of rapists.

You’re just mad Sherman won  :wink:

• @Flashman:

That is at best misleading and at worst, blatant lies. We did forcible boot 12 million Germans, but we were having our arm twisted by the Soviet Union. Politicians will say what they will, but allowing 1 million to die in the transfer was likely a savings in lives over going against the USSR

• Customizer

@DarthShizNit:

@ossel:

@Flashman:

It’s the same reason we have tanks named after that b��t��d Sherman and his army of rapists.

People from the Northern U.S. (Yankees) always ask me why people are still angry about the Civil War. “That was like 200 years ago, get over it!”
    I just ask them, “How would you feel if your country was invaded and occupied?”

• @ossel:

@DarthShizNit:

@ossel:

@Flashman:

People from the Northern U.S. (Yankees) always ask me why people are still angry about the Civil War. “That was like 200 years ago, get over it!”

How dare the north win the war 148 years ago  :mrgreen: anyway I would say this whole conversation about good vs evil is off topic.

• @DarthShizNit:

@ossel:

@DarthShizNit:

@ossel:

@Flashman:

How dare the north win the war 148 years ago  :mrgreen: anyway I would say this whole conversation about good vs evil is off topic.

It wasn’t a country. You are still as integral a part of America as anywhere. Your culture still lives. You don’t need a Country with a history of slavery to have a home. That’s the crap failed states are built on

• Customizer

@Croesus:

It wasn’t a country. You are still as integral a part of America as anywhere. Your culture still lives. You don’t need a Country with a history of slavery to have a home. That’s the crap failed states are built on

It wasn’t a country
    Had a government, capital, flag, president
    Country with a history of slavery
    U.S. :wink:

• *Country with slavery as a founding goal
    Sure it was states rights, but states rights to what? Is it supposed to be a coincidence that y’all seceded after Lincoln (avowed abolitionist) was sworn in. C’mon, Slavery was central to the CSA

A country isn’t a country if it can’t get international recognition
    As for a Government, even Libya had a government that was pretty functional DURING the revolution.

• Customizer

http://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation?cmpid=INT_Outbrain_HITH_HIS&obref=obnetwork

See #1.

Sure, the central issue of the war was slavery, I never said I was one of those “state’s rights” delusionists. And yes, slavery was horrible.

But we have the benefit of hindsight and modern perspective. Then, it was not only accepted and normal, it was the central pillar of the South’s economy.

And don’t even get me started on Lincoln. He’s been mythologized into some sort of proto-MLK. He wasn’t. He was a racist who used the Emancipation Proclamation as a political tool to cause unrest in areas where he didn’t even have jurisdiction, all while leaving slavery fully intact in areas where he did.

Anyway, I agree with DarthShizNit that this thread has gone a little off topic, mostly due to my ranting. I apologize.

• @ossel:

http://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation?cmpid=INT_Outbrain_HITH_HIS&obref=obnetwork

See #1.

Sure, the central issue of the war was slavery, I never said I was one of those “state’s rights” delusionists. And yes, slavery was horrible.

But we have the benefit of hindsight and modern perspective. Then, it was not only accepted and normal, it was the central pillar of the South’s economy.

And don’t even get me started on Lincoln. He’s been mythologized into some sort of proto-MLK. He wasn’t. He was a racist who used the Emancipation Proclamation as a political tool to cause unrest in areas where he didn’t even have jurisdiction, all while leaving slavery fully intact in areas where he did.

Anyway, I agree with DarthShizNit that this thread has gone a little off topic, mostly due to my ranting. I apologize.

I’ll Stop, after this post.
    Point number 1 is above all, a Symantec
    Number 2 could as well be attributed to political lies
    Number 4. Really? You mean the 13th amendment was simply passed without his say?
    All that being said. Who cares about proto-MLK? He is a great president because he believed in unity, and carried the nation through our darkest hour. In any case Jefferson, Jackson, Washington, and Roosevelt #1 were all twice the president he was. Most of the others genuinely sucked. Sorry, Your playtest looks like its going well. Thank you for sharing!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m