German Blueprint: G1 Attack on Russia

• '22 '16

@Eggman:

@elevenjerk:

Actually it’s the opposite, we get spanked in Japan so fast that Germany doesn’t get a chance to impose it’s power before it’s too late.

Are you doing late DoWs with Japan?  It seems counter-intuitive but a Japan that attacks round 1 is better off than one that waits until round 4.  Also, be careful about squandering your air force by sending too much of it into the Asian heartland chasing after Chinese or Russians.  It does better on the coast so that it can support the navy and crush any Allied fleets that show up in the DEI.

So true!  Beginners pay attention. This is Gospel!!

• Are you doing late DoWs with Japan?  It seems counter-intuitive but a Japan that attacks round 1 is better off than one that waits until round 4.  Also, be careful about squandering your air force by sending too much of it into the Asian heartland chasing after Chinese or Russians.  It does better on the coast so that it can support the navy and crush any Allied fleets that show up in the DEI.

I have tried multiple things on different turns and keep improving slightly each time.  Did J1 two games in a row and just kept running out of ground forces in order to protect the islands and the two mic’s i built in malaya and FIC.  Didn’t help that the epic fail I posted earlier in the thread happened with a J1 so I had to be extra aggressive in order to make up for Germany’s lack of presence.

This last game though where the G1 worked out perfectly I fully intended on a J2.  Once it came time for it though Germany looked so good that I had to give it one more turn.  I positioned myself to take at least one island, malaya, kwangtung, and shan state.  The allies ended up attacking to try and hold the burma road figuring it only holds US out one more turn of positioning and no turns of money.  I proceeded to take the territories I mentioned plus beorno on J3, and on J4 was able to take the rest of the islands. US moved to the Carolines on US 4 ( I managed to hold so anzac had to come finish the job) but my entire navy was able to get back to the Phillippines with left over ground units on the accessible islands (Java, Celebs).  With america only able to spend 52 each turn and only able to place 3 units on the pacific side, his navy had no chance against mine.

We are on  turn 8 now.  Germany should make 96 IPC.  Japan has lost one island (sumatra) but I am able to slip out to Hawaii  and snag that bonus.  US has built straight pacific navy since turn 4 so my navy can’t compete with him.  The problem for him is that he is in sz 7 so he can’t even get to my navy in sz 26.  He has another build in sz 10 but I will crush them if he tries.  That makes Japan making 62 IPC after J8.  He is two turns away from catching my navy and by then Germany will own the rest of the world I am sure:)

Sorry for the Novel.  Just really stoked to finally win with the axis.

• Sponsor

If your doing a J1 attack on the Pacific islands, you should purchase 2 minor ICs J1 and build them on the coast IMO.

I don’t buy tanks and artillery until I gain the 2 Russian minor ICs, but I use Mech Infantry from Germany to capture them fast. Round 1, I bomb the Atlantic, Round 2, I bomb the Med, and Round 3, I bomb the Russian IC (which is ussualy the extra insentive Russia needs to abandon them instead of repair them). I don’t use many air units in Russia, maybe a T. Bomber or 2 to compliment any remaining tanks, but I use at least 90% of my air force to attack allied ships in the Atlantic, Baltic, and Med

• '12

@Young:

If your doing a J1 attack on the Pacific islands, you should purchase 2 minor ICs J1 and build them on the coast IMO.

An alternative is to buy the naval base in the province next to Indochina + Transports and just shuck units in directly from Japan.  Deploying all your troops directly from the Home Islands guarantees that you’ve covered Tokyo from any USA surprises, plus you force them to cover Hawaii which will slow down their response to moves in the DEI.  With an air base later in the same spot you can keep the air force in range of Calcutta when you are ready to take it, and if an Allied fleet shows up in the DEI you have the range to attack it and land on an island.

• An alternative is to buy the naval base in the province next to Indochina + Transports and just shuck units in directly from Japan

That is exactly what I did on J2 in order to have the ability to go wherever I wanted when I chose to attack. Naval base in Kwangsi. I may have gotten another transport as well.  I believe I had about 7 or 8 around turn 5.

One issue I always have to deal with is…. the guy I play with always puts his Phillippines fighter in guam if there is no attack on J1.  That is a major headache.  It sneaks up and takes transports but there are always more important things to do than try to get him.  Can’t send just a transport cause he will scramble and wipe out all of them.  Don’t want to waste precious warships, guys, and transports to get nothing.

• Great, now I get beat by the Axis all the time now due to G1 attack on Russia.  How best to counter this?

• Sponsor

@BJCard:

Great, now I get beat by the Axis all the time now due to G1 attack on Russia.  How best to counter this?

You should create a new topic with the title “How to counter Grasshopper’s G1”  8-)

• Lol, I did create a new threat about stopping a G1 attack, just not necessarily yours.  Maybe you could lead some insight to it?

• 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, from S.Germany into Slovakia

How about using those to strafe Yugo for 1 round and then retreat into: Slovakia.

Does Italy need this help?
    What are the loss / kill chances?

• @orania:

6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, from S.Germany into Slovakia

How about using those to strafe Yugo for 1 round and then retreat into: Slovakia.

It’s a common practice, but if you are attacking Russia round 1, you can’t take the chance that you accidentally score 5 hits and conquer Yugo since you need those units for counter attacks on G2.

• Sponsor

@manstein39:

@orania:

6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, from S.Germany into Slovakia

It’s a common practice, but if you are attacking Russia round 1, you can’t take the chance that you accidentally score 5 hits and conquer Yugo since you need those units for counter attacks on G2.

Correct, Italy can easily take Yugoslavia on their own round 2 or 3 without Germany spreading thin by strafing G1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m