Battleship March Madness (Round 2)

• Another strike against the Duke of York vs. any U.S. BB.  According to an article I was reading tonight, the U.S. had the best large caliber armour penetrating round in the world, while the U.K.'s was more of a Treaty design (inferior pre-WWII limitation.)  During post WWII testing ours could punch right through thick turret facing at high obliquity, while theirs could not, even at moderate angles.  So at range, they’ve got trouble.

Another problem is secondary armament.  If they close into this range the Missouri will be crashing in twice as many pounds/minute as the Duke in secondary guns alone.  (The Yamato get’s interesting here as it has actual light cruiser turrets forming half of its secondary armament…ouch!)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Here is Warshams comments regarding Battleship March Madness.

If the countries of the 1940’s decided to solved WWII by a Battleship Duel, who would win. Here are the rules, nations get to pick the best ship in the fleet to match up. Consider this a “March Madness” with Battleships. After each duel the winner is dry docked for repairs and the losser is sunk. I gave strongest Navies the higher seats in the contest. Let’s say for contest infomation, the showdown will take play in Caribbean. Ships will start 35 miles apart and can use all technologly at hand, for example Radar.

Why don’t you look up the definition of DUEL.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/duel

1. a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, especially to settle a private quarrel.

2. any contest between two persons or parties.

For your benefit, I’ve bolded the words that matter.  This is a DUEL, between two PARTIES, via their SHIPS.  The question is WHO will be the winner.  NOT what will be the winner.

Yes the ship matters, but just because you have two fighters in the ring, it doesn’t mean the guy who weighs more, and has an inch more reach is going to come out on top everytime.

He is comparing ship with ship based on specs.

What gave you this impression?  I think the game you’re playing here is actually called “Jump to conclusions”.

If the countries of the 1940’s decided to solved WWII by a Battleship Duel, who would win. Here are the rules, nations get to pick the best ship in the fleet to match up. Consider this a “March Madness” with Battleships. After each duel the winner is dry docked for repairs and the losser is sunk. I gave strongest Navies the higher seats in the contest. Let’s say for contest infomation, the showdown will take play in Caribbean. Ships will start 35 miles apart and can use all technologly at hand, for example Radar.

Why don’t you look up the definition of DUEL.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/duel

And he said nothing of crews, of only 1941 ships, or of having any demerit for not having sunk any ship. I suspect basic reasoning is lost on any argument that attempts to infer sophomoric notions of what the OB had never spoke of and of which you “added” to any comparison. Nobody but you has these issues. They understand the basic argument made for this comparison.

1. a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, especially to settle a private quarrel.

2. any contest between two persons or parties.

Off topic and having nothing to do with anything….

For your benefit, I’ve bolded the words that matter.  This is a DUEL, between two PARTIES, via their SHIPS.  The question is WHO will be the winner.  NOT what will be the winner.

Yes the ship matters, but just because you have two fighters in the ring, it doesn’t mean the guy who weighs more, and has an inch more reach is going to come out on top everytime.

What matters is what the OB had posted, not your own references for comparison. If you want to compare crews, make another thread.

He is comparing ship with ship based on specs.

What gave you this impression?  I think the game you’re playing here is actually called “Jump to conclusions”.

Read what he said and let others have their say.

I read what he said, and quoted it.  He’s asking about a DUEL between the two ships.

and my ON TOPIC definition of DUEL clearly states that it is between 2 parties.

You can talk about tonnage, guns, armarment, and speed, but seamanship should be included.

Specifically the abilities of atleast these 2 candidates should be discussed for this match-up, again I doubt this is debatable.  Worsham would you care to comment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Callaghan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Fraser,_1st_Baron_Fraser_of_North_Cape

• DUEL between the two ships

Yes ships, not crews, not 1941 only, not only ships that sunk another ship.

You finally got it!

Compare speed, armor, fire control technology, radar or not, gun caliber, range of guns, secondary armaments, anti- torpedo belts, ect.

Ships come with a crew.  I’m glad you agree aswell!

I’ve asked Worsham to comment.

Class and type:

Iowa-class battleship

Displacement:

45,000 tons

Length:

887.2 ft (270.4 m)

Beam:

108.2 ft (33.0 m)

Draft:

28.9 ft (8.8 m)

Speed:

33 kn (38 mph; 61 km/h)

**Complement:

2,700 officers and men**

Armament:

9 × 16 in (410 mm)/50 cal Mark 7 guns
    20 × 5 in (130 mm)/38 cal Mark 12 guns
    80 × 40 mm/56 cal anti-aircraft guns
    49 × 20 mm/70 cal anti-aircraft cannons

Armor:

Belt: 12.1 in (310 mm)
    Bulkheads: 11.3 in (290 mm)
    Barbettes: 11.6 to 17.3 in (290 to 440 mm)
    Turrets: 19.7 in (500 mm)
    Decks: 7.5 in (190 mm)

• Ships come with a crew and to compare ships has nothing to do with crews and also has nothing to so with comparing SHIPS.  I’m glad you agree as well!

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

And this site has done something similar, (which obviously does not compare crews because this is a comparison of ships) concluded rightfully that Iowa class BB is the best ship all around based on all basic stats.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m