• 2007 AAR League

lets say i attack a sub with a FTR, and miss
    what options does the sub have
    can they retreat? or only submerge?
    if they can retreat, is there any limitation on where they can retreat too?

• 2007 AAR League

personally, it seems to me that they should only be able to submerge… retreating would give them way to much ability to get around… but whats the official rule?

• The sub can only submerge when it is being attacked.  It can’t retreat to another square if you choose to the leave the battle.  This is true whether it is being attacked by a fighter, a bomber, or a ship.

• Or put another way; submerge = retreat. And sub retreat = submerge.

It’s the same thing. Not 2 different choices.

Thanks.

That helps.

@mateooo:

personally, it seems to me that they should only be able to submerge… retreating would give them way to much ability to get around… but whats the official rule?

Yes.  The retreating to an adjacent sz could be quite deadly.

For example in Classic, had you gotten the rolls you did at Pearl, after rd 1 of battle I would have retreated my sub from the battle.

Then you can use it a counter to Pearl or even harass Japan trannies that are unprotected in Jap sz or nearby.

I guess DD’s help stop some of that and the rule change makes sure subs at least can’t gain an extra move.

• @Sankt:

Or put another way; submerge = retreat. And sub retreat = submerge.

That is only true when a sub is attacked.  If the sub is the attacker, they can submerge OR retreat.  But if they retreat, they need to do so along with any other attacking units, per the normal rules for retreat.  And subs can submerge even if there are other units on their side that intend to continue fighting.

• @JamesG:

@Sankt:

Or put another way; submerge = retreat. And sub retreat = submerge.

That is only true when a sub is attacked.  If the sub is the attacker, they can submerge OR retreat.  But if they retreat, they need to do so along with any other attacking units, per the normal rules for retreat.  And subs can submerge even if there are other units on their side that intend to continue fighting.

I was answering the poster’s question regarding defending subs. They can’t ‘retreat’ as attacking units can. The way they retreat is by submersion and that alone. I think we all agree here, don’t add more confusion to the picture.  :-)

• There was another thread where it was discussed whether attacking subs could retreat, or only submerge.  Just wanted to make it clear they can retreat with the other attacking units.  No harm meant……

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m