• Well posted violent copper! I 100% agree with you.

Jen since you like going towards history so much why not put a couple more units on london? I say at least 2 more units. An inf and an art. To be more realistic I would like to see all of UK’s fleet combined in sea zone 111. This would make Italy Loads more powerful as well as UK actually able to tackle Germany.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not so much interested in historical accuracy.  If you want Axis and Allies to be historically accurate, you have to declare that Germany, Italy and Japan cannot win the game since the axis powers lost 100% of the World War II’s in Human History, right? wink

I’d like England to not crumple so easily, but I do see one of the only real ways for the axis to ensure they have good chances of winning to crush England.  It’s not the ONLY way, it’s just one of the only ways to really ensure victory.

A proposed and somewhat tested solution is to have England have one economy.  Somewhat tested means I’ve played it or am playing it with 9 different people which I do not think would even constitute a moderatly sufficient sample size to draw concrete conclusions from.

• Jen what do you think about the idea of moving UK’s fleet in the atlantic to sea zone 111, minus the dd in south africa, the dd transport in 106 and 109. I think this would greatly change the flow of the game. Making it more realistic that UK’s fleet couldn’t be attacked as well as saving italy’s fleet and saving UK from Germany capturing it. Maybe move US declaration of war back to turn 5 or 6, though not sure what that would do on the pacific side of the board.

• Customizer

Moving the US DOW to turn 5 or 6 might enable Japan to get too strong.  They couldn’t really do a whole lot in the Pacific – I am assuming even if USA can not DOW until 5 or 6, if Japan attacks UK or ANZAC, then USA could declare war then.  However, this would give them an extra 2-3 rounds of pounding on China, perhaps even eliminating them all together.  Of course, if UK or ANZAC was foolish enough to provoke Japan, which of course would enable Japan to attack them without bringing USA into the conflict, then Japan could get really strong.  They would surely take the DEI and perhaps even bag Calcutta before the USA even gets into the war.

As for moving all UK ships to SZ 111, that seems like not the best idea.  Yes, UK would have a VERY powerful fleet all in one place that Germany would most likely never be able to overcome.  Sealion would more or less be forgotten.  However, aren’t you practically handing the Med and Africa over to Italy?  All they would have to do is smash those two French ships in SZ 93 and there is a $5 NO right off the bat.  With all 3 transports and the Tobruk force, Italy would have Egypt round 2.  After that, they would just spread out through Africa and the Middle East.

It seems like you would be putting some hurt on Germany yet letting Italy run wild.

• There would need to be a naval base in sea zone 111. Move the fighter on gibralter to egypt. I agree that Italy would become super strong, but if UK wanted he could on T1 move his fleet outside the med and then on his insuing turn move into the med and take out Italy with ease. So while egypt would fall for sure. Britain would probably be able to liberate it pretty soon or at least pound Germany hard enough that he would be forced to defend the homeland with at least some of his money. Lessening up the pressure on Russia. As it sits right now Russia is near helpless VS Germany and Italy. Make it more realistic and more fun to play the allies. I can’t stand playing as the allies as the whole game I feel like I am loosing, or I just dont have anything really fun to do. This is the main problem with 1940 global version IMO. The game needs to be more fun for the allies as well. Let them have something to do. With sea lion being so easy, there is nothing UK can really do, and once UK falls it is hell on the allies moral as well as the gameplay.

@theROCmonster:

Jen what do you think about the idea of moving UK’s fleet in the atlantic to sea zone 111, minus the dd in south africa, the dd transport in 106 and 109. I think this would greatly change the flow of the game. Making it more realistic that UK’s fleet couldn’t be attacked as well as saving italy’s fleet and saving UK from Germany capturing it. Maybe move US declaration of war back to turn 5 or 6, though not sure what that would do on the pacific side of the board.

IMHO, that’s too powerful.

Germany needs to have the ability (not the certainty, but the ability) to have her submarines unmolested.

Moving the British fleet (less the destroyer) from SZ 98 to SZ 92 would be fine - it’s still close enough to get to SZ 110 and it’s still close enough to attack the Italians.  If SZ 97 is all that important, then we could move the Italian destroyer/transport back to where it was in Alpha +2 and bring Taranto back as an option for England.

Suggestion for USA DOW change - not that I necessarily think it should change, but if it is going too, then perhaps this is a better way to do it?

For America we could have a Russian style rule where it can be at war on one map but not the other?

• DOW on USA 4 against Japan
    • DOW on USA 6 against Italy and Germany

???  It’s not a NEW rule because it already exists for Russia!  Russia can be at war with Japan but not with Germany or Italy.  In this scenario I picture only the W. USA complex upgrading on Round 4, but America collecting any NOs it has (which should be all of them except the French NO that America does not get normally anyway) and then on round 6 the C. USA and E. USA complexes could upgrade?

• I agree with this idea about america. Maybe play test with the UK navy combined. I like 111 because this would be VERY historical. I don’t think the whole game needs history, but some history would be nice.

• TripleA

I like sz 111. subs are gay.

• TripleA

Anyway I still don’t play global without an allies bid, unless I am getting axis. Adding a couple units to UK results in an extra round of firing for defenders when you lose, increasing casualties for germany. the average 5 less germans helps russia a ton.

Allies still at a disadvantage, because of how far USA is away from all the action. Russia getting to press some action, makes total sense.

• What is this bid that people keep talking about?

• Basically its an amount of extra IPC one side starts with to spend however they please amongst any of that side’s nations.

I say, “I’ll play the Allies for an extra 18 IPC worth of units”.
    Axis player says, “No, 5 IPC”.
    I say, “I’ll play for 15”
    Axis, “7”
    I say, “I’ll play for 12”
    Axis, “Okay, 10 IPC and we have a game”
    I say, “Agreed”

Basically it is a house rule where one side says it needs more units because there are certainties such as Axis SeaLion on G3 that really cannot be stopped no matter what the opposing side does.

In my example, the Allies could then spend 10 IPC on any country (France, UK-Europe, UK-Pacific, Anzac, China, or USA) before the game starts.  If the allies get an extra 12 IPC I’d put them on 4 Inf in France to force Germany to send Aircraft after it to take it.

In order for the Axis to make it a certainty that Paris falls, it will have to dedicate aircraft to beat 10 Inf, 2  Art, 2 Tanks, 1 Ftr and 1 AA gun.  This then allows some of my UK fleet to survive with better odds or at worst take out more of the German Air Force to make SeaLion less of a certainty for the UK.

This dramatically changes the landscape of the game and is why there is discussion about adding or moving starting units to better “balance” the game to make SeaLion played by a competent German player less certain.

Hence why there is a “bid” to determine who plays the side that starts at a disadvantage (G3 SeaLion).

At least that is how I understand it working.  I have never played with a bid before

@Cow:

Anyway I still don’t play global without an allies bid, unless I am getting axis. Adding a couple units to UK results in an extra round of firing for defenders when you lose, increasing casualties for germany. the average 5 less germans helps russia a ton.

Allies still at a disadvantage, because of how far USA is away from all the action. Russia getting to press some action, makes total sense.

Funny, in a league game where my opponent wanted to bid for the axis.  I was like, “suuuuuure!  I can do that!” and was willing to go down to negative numbers to get Axis then. lol.

• One UK global economy would be very cool, although I’d limit it like this:

London can spend money from both economy,
    Calcutta can spend only the money from the pacific territory.

Otherwise Japan will be unplayable.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m