• Customizer

Germany ended up doing Sealion and took London with quite a bit left;  I think 4 or 5 tanks, 3 inf and 2 art.  Since the UK sank the Italian navy, those two French ships in the Med sailed on up to SZ 109 and killed all the German transports so all that stuff was stuck on England and therefore no help at all against Russia.  USSR did attack and got Finland, Romania, Slovakia/Hungary but lost in Poland.  After that, Russia managed to keep trading territories with Germany – first it was Baltic States and E Poland.  Germany would take them and Russia would take them back.  This went on for several rounds which gave the US time to get enough men and equip over and liberate London.  Then the balance shifted some and Germany and Russia started trading Poland and Slovakia back and forth.  Russia already had Finland and Norway and managed to push into Romania again.  US took Denmark and W Germany, Germany took W Germany back, US took it again.  Italy never got their navy back and with the UK back in the game and buying stuff, they went after Italy and eventually took Rome.
    Meanwhile, the US fleet just pounded the Japanese.  Japan couldn’t replace the losses while USA could.  Japan lost their mainland force to attacks by Chinese, Russian, British and ANZAC attacks.  Even their big air force got whittled down.  Eventually Japan was cornered on their island and convoy raided into the poorhouse.  They were collecting 0 IPCs for 3 rounds or so.  ANZAC had built up enough transports, troops and planes so they tried an invasion and ended up taking Japan.  This was a surprise because Japan had a lot of guys on Japan + 3 fighters that they got before the US started convoy raiding them silly.  USA also had an invasion fleet ready and the plan was for ANZAC to hit Japan and kill as many guys possible then USA would finish the job.  ANZAC got some good dice and ended up winning after all.

Vance, I think you have the right idea.  I don’t think Sealion is a good strategy for Germany anymore, unless the ROyal Navy is totally killed off, which I failed to do this time.  That caused my navy to be sunk and delayed my invasion of England another crucial round.  Also, I was still too weak on the Eastern Border and Russia just had a field day.  Sure, they lost in Poland, but everywhere else I was crushed.  Germany never really recovered and Russia was able to keep pouring on the heat.  I think a better strategy is to kill the Royal Navy then head east.  Leave London alone and deal with Russia with much better strength.

• Customizer

By the way Grasshopper.  Your purchase plan for the US worked great for our US player this game.  They had a HUGE navy in the Pacific which easily handled the Jap Navy.  Your plan was followed through round 4.  By that time, USA was in the war and circumstances demanded different buys – mainly more transports and land units for Europe.  USA was able to not only keep the Jap navy in check, but pretty much smash it up good and at the same time built up a big enough force to liberate London and give the Germans headaches.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

By the way Grasshopper.  Your purchase plan for the US worked great for our US player this game.  They had a HUGE navy in the Pacific which easily handled the Jap Navy.  Your plan was followed through round 4.  By that time, USA was in the war and circumstances demanded different buys – mainly more transports and land units for Europe.  USA was able to not only keep the Jap navy in check, but pretty much smash it up good and at the same time built up a big enough force to liberate London and give the Germans headaches.

Great to hear that my purchase strategy found some success, did they also use my movement strategy of sailing ships to the Queensland shore during peace time?

• I just played out your strat Grasshopper. Japan still can easily hold phillipines. I put up blockers to take all the money islands on turn4. Right now US just completed T5 and has a supperior navy to Japan, but US still can’t take and hold phillipines. US can’t even take the sea zone outside phillipines. Japan is still making in the 66-68 range, but is about to have only 2 transports left and US as well has 2 transports. Along with anzac help I see US taking phillipines and holding it on R8 at the earliest. Japan is building 9 subs a turn. US is purchasing 9 subs 1 destroyer 1 fighter a turn. Sooner or later the economic advantage will swing drastically and japan will be making in the 30’s to 40’s and america in the 80’s or even more. The problem I see though is that Russia is going to fall before America can put sufficient forces in europe. Right now I am having Italy building all infantry from T2 except for a sub I bought in T1 and a mech for russia. Italy has a ton of men on the home lands, so UK can’t really do much by himself. Interesting to see how things will end up. I am filming the whole game and am going to put it on youtube when I am done.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Young:

@knp7765:

Great to hear that my purchase strategy found some success, did they also use my movement strategy of sailing ships to the Queensland shore during peace time?

Pretty sure American ships on the Atlantic have to be in sea zones adjacent to American territories until America is at war, so sailing to SZ 106 is not an option.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

@knp7765:

Pretty sure American ships on the Atlantic have to be in sea zones adjacent to American territories until America is at war, so sailing to SZ 106 is not an option.

The Queensland coast is in Australia on the Pacific board.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I just played out your strat Grasshopper. Japan still can easily hold phillipines. I put up blockers to take all the money islands on turn4. Right now US just completed T5 and has a supperior navy to Japan, but US still can’t take and hold phillipines. US can’t even take the sea zone outside phillipines. Japan is still making in the 66-68 range, but is about to have only 2 transports left and US as well has 2 transports. Along with anzac help I see US taking phillipines and holding it on R8 at the earliest. Japan is building 9 subs a turn. US is purchasing 9 subs 1 destroyer 1 fighter a turn. Sooner or later the economic advantage will swing drastically and japan will be making in the 30’s to 40’s and america in the 80’s or even more. The problem I see though is that Russia is going to fall before America can put sufficient forces in europe. Right now I am having Italy building all infantry from T2 except for a sub I bought in T1 and a mech for russia. Italy has a ton of men on the home lands, so UK can’t really do much by himself. Interesting to see how things will end up. I am filming the whole game and am going to put it on youtube when I am done.

I sorry, but with my American blueprint for the first 4 rounds, Japan can not hold the Philipenes and all the Dutch islands, I don’t care how many blockers you have.

• @Young:

@Cmdr:

@Young:

The Queensland coast is in Australia on the Pacific board.

Right, the only restrictions to US movement on the Pacific board are:

In addition to the normal restrictions (see Powers Not at War with One Another above), while it’s not at war with Japan, the United States may not move units into or through China or end the movement of its sea units in sea zones that are adjacent to Japanese-controlled territories.

So it is perfectly legal to move US ships down there.

• Customizer

@Young:

Yes they did.  US ended up with a massive fleet off of Queensland.  There was some debate over whether US could use ANZACs naval base if USA was at war with Japan but ANZAC technically wasn’t yet.  This was due to Germany taking London, which allows USA to declare war on ALL Axis.  We figured out since ANZAC begins the game at war with Germany & Italy, once the USA declares war on all Axis, that makes ANZAC and USA allies and thus can use each other’s bases.  Bit of a loophole but still works.
    The US fleet ended up pounding the Jap fleet, mostly in two big actions just south of SZ 6.  The ANZAC built transports and men/art/tanks and they came behind the US and took/liberated all the islands.  Then the US fleet occupied SZ 6 and simply convoy raided Japan to death.  Japan was bringing in 0 IPCs for 2 or 3 rounds before ANZAC finally had enough stuff to invade Japan itself.

• @theROCmonster:

I am filming the whole game and am going to put it on youtube when I am done.

When you do could you post a link here to it. This sounds really interesting to see how it turned out. Also this seems to be focused mainly on pacific, what would you buy it Germany has turned into a powerhouse and Russia is about to fall and Germany is making like 60 ipcs without NO’s and will get russias money soon.

• Best US 1 purchase in my mind is Two Carriers, 2 Fighters. Put both Carriers and a Fighter in W US, and one Fighter in Central US. On Round 2, you have a fleet (when evrything is moved toward Hawaii) that can begin to seriously contend with Japan.

Personally I like to purchase Carriers until I outnumber Japan - and if I’m Japan I like to outnumber the US. As a general rule of thumb, in the Pacific, if you outnumber your opponent in Carriers, and are in a SZ with an island airbase, you can hold that space. I said general rule of thumb, because the closer the US gets to the mainland, the more danger because of the dominance of Japanese airpower.

Yet another reason to buy two Fighters on US 1 as well… to begin inching closer to rivalling Japan in the air.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

Yes they did.  US ended up with a massive fleet off of Queensland.  There was some debate over whether US could use ANZACs naval base if USA was at war with Japan but ANZAC technically wasn’t yet.  This was due to Germany taking London, which allows USA to declare war on ALL Axis.  We figured out since ANZAC begins the game at war with Germany & Italy, once the USA declares war on all Axis, that makes ANZAC and USA allies and thus can use each other’s bases.  Bit of a loophole but still works.
    The US fleet ended up pounding the Jap fleet, mostly in two big actions just south of SZ 6.  The ANZAC built transports and men/art/tanks and they came behind the US and took/liberated all the islands.  Then the US fleet occupied SZ 6 and simply convoy raided Japan to death.  Japan was bringing in 0 IPCs for 2 or 3 rounds before ANZAC finally had enough stuff to invade Japan itself.

I HOPE YOU’RE READING THIS ROC-MONSTER…… LOL

• Grasshopper I know this works. US can outmatch the Jap fleet. I am contending that it takes longer than you might think. I am currently on T5 and US still cannot take phillipines as japan has a fleet there that is much too large to take out. And attacking the fleet with US and then anzac won’t work because I am playing Low luck. I did the math and Japan would win the battle with both battleships still left everytime and a carrier and some planes. This is if US attacks on T6. So there is a couple more rounds to go before US can completely cripple Japan. Leaving Germany free reign in europe board. Italy has over 30 ground units in europe for defense and this is allowing Germany to throw 100% of her money against russia. I will tell you how the game ends up playing out. I see the allies winning in the end because I don’t think egypt can fall so easily. Even if russia is taken out, which will take at least 5 more turns.

• @otahere34:

@theROCmonster:

I am filming the whole game and am going to put it on youtube when I am done.

When you do could you post a link here to it. This sounds really interesting to see how it turned out.

I’d love to see that too

• @theROCmonster:

I am currently on T5 and US still cannot take phillipines as japan has a fleet there that is much too large to take out.

How is Japan doing in Asia and the DEI?  If they are turtling in the Phillipines is India and China holding them back on the land, and India/ANZAC making money from the islands?

• LOL it is easier than everyone seems to be saying it is. I was able to take out all the islands on my J3. I even defended 3 out of my 5 transports from a rebuttle from US by blocking 2 sea zones. I sent all my korea and manchuria men south since Russia retreated his 18 inf and 2 aa guns to go against germany. If russia had not retreated these men Germany would take russia by turn 8-9. So right now I have UK trapped inside of india. 2 transports and 18 ground units are in yunan or shan state ready to hit burma if he comes out. I have 1 sub in the sea zone outside india convoy raiding him. So UK india on his best day is making 6 dollars, but most of the time 3-4. This is with all infantry builds for UK india, but what I see happening is that UK india will live as japan cannot stack in burma because the forces that would be there would just die. So eventually the US will break through and UK india will be able to come out of turtle and take back all of china and malaya. This will take many turns. Maybe in the next 2 turns with US be able to take phillipines and hold it and when that happens it is all over for Japan and US will start producing 5 transports and 10 infantry a turn in the atlantic. By the time US is stationed of gibralter Germany needs to have knocked out russia or at the least taken nearly all his money and the oil money in the south.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

LOL it is easier than everyone seems to be saying it is. I was able to take out all the islands on my J3. I even defended 3 out of my 5 transports from a rebuttle from US by blocking 2 sea zones. I sent all my korea and manchuria men south since Russia retreated his 18 inf and 2 aa guns to go against germany. If russia had not retreated these men Germany would take russia by turn 8-9. So right now I have UK trapped inside of india. 2 transports and 18 ground units are in yunan or shan state ready to hit burma if he comes out. I have 1 sub in the sea zone outside india convoy raiding him. So UK india on his best day is making 6 dollars, but most of the time 3-4. This is with all infantry builds for UK india, but what I see happening is that UK india will live as japan cannot stack in burma because the forces that would be there would just die. So eventually the US will break through and UK india will be able to come out of turtle and take back all of china and malaya. This will take many turns. Maybe in the next 2 turns with US be able to take phillipines and hold it and when that happens it is all over for Japan and US will start producing 5 transports and 10 infantry a turn in the atlantic. By the time US is stationed of gibralter Germany needs to have knocked out russia or at the least taken nearly all his money and the oil money in the south.

This tune sounds a lot different than what you were singing a couple of weeks a go. As for taking all the Dutch islands by the end of J3, that would be like putting your Queen in the path of my Bishop.

• I take all 5 of the islands in one turn grasshopper. I put my 4 transports int he south in range of the 4 dutch islands for the NO, and one transport in sea zone 6 for the phillipines. I block with 2 destroyers from the US taking phillipines and a couple of the islands. I forced the US to retreat from queensland since the US couldn’t reinforce because they couldn’t put any units in the sea zone outside pearl or they would be killed. by the jap purchase on T3 plus 2 bombers and a carrier in sea zone 6. US could block the Japs from coming to pearl, which next game I play I might do so I can keep up the steady stream to queensland. The japanese are strong for the first 6-8 turns and then they start their downfall. I can make 9 subs a turn and 3 mech infs right now. US 9 subs 1 destroyer 1 fighter. and an occasional carrier with US. Right now I have 4 videos up on youtube. Working on getting the others up. Takes forever to put a video on youtube.

• What is your youtube account, or could you post a link to all of your videos

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I take all 5 of the islands in one turn grasshopper. I put my 4 transports int he south in range of the 4 dutch islands for the NO, and one transport in sea zone 6 for the phillipines. I block with 2 destroyers from the US taking phillipines and a couple of the islands. I forced the US to retreat from queensland since the US couldn’t reinforce because they couldn’t put any units in the sea zone outside pearl or they would be killed. by the jap purchase on T3 plus 2 bombers and a carrier in sea zone 6. US could block the Japs from coming to pearl, which next game I play I might do so I can keep up the steady stream to queensland. The japanese are strong for the first 6-8 turns and then they start their downfall. I can make 9 subs a turn and 3 mech infs right now. US 9 subs 1 destroyer 1 fighter. and an occasional carrier with US. Right now I have 4 videos up on youtube. Working on getting the others up. Takes forever to put a video on youtube.

I would never retreat my navy from Queensland, I would have forced you to deal with what I had there. It seems your strategy for Japan only works when you move the American units yourself. Talk to knp about this, because we both have game experience playing this strategy out using accual living oponents who think for themselves. You can’t base your findings on what you assume your opponent would do, because I’m obviously much more agressive with America than you are. As soon as you make one single move on your you tube video that I wouldn’t have done, I will click it off because everything you discribe after that point becomes erelevent.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m