UK Gov't in exile Discussion - Delta 1

• @special:

My view on the issue:

The UK should be licking its wounds, and Canada shouldn’t be a completely helpless victim for Germany.

So their 7 IPC income should be enough to build some defences or organise a reinforcement ehh… force, but weak enough not to get anything done without US help.
    Germany should collect ALL UK’s money, they earned it (and UK’s income should drop to 7 so that next UK turn Canada can collect their first IPC’s but not build anything yet).
    Only IC’s within Canada can be used. 106 should remain a convoy zone.

Its good to think in generalities like this at the beginning, get the goals and then we can head towards them.  I have to agree with you here Special forces, the loss of Britain and the need to house the incoming military and fleet requirements is going to be headache enough for ‘Canadas’ first turn.  Also that money should go to Germany because they are being heavily pressed by Stalin.  We could possibly add an inf here or there in Canada to provide them with enough defense that they cannot be defeated by 2 trns.  Not sure.  I could see amending the rule so that ‘Canada’ controls all UK territories in the Americas, so if they have taken Brazil then it remains UK controlled.  Not sure what kind of problems this would cause if any other than you may want Brazil to go to another power.

We need to address what happens when ‘Canada’ captures a territory.  What about a UK territory?

POSSIBLE Setup changes to go with Government in Exile

The airbase in Scotland will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    An airbase will be added to Nova Scotia (i.e. “Gander airbase” for historical accuracy).
    I don’t know if I feel well about this.  I mean Scotland should get a NB and AB because of Scapa flow….the main issue is this leaves that fleet off scotland from the protection of 1 scrambling ftr G1.  Also that airbase is awesome if ferrying ftrs to Russia, although UK could build one.  Perhaps we should just add an AB to novascotia?

The fighter in Normandy will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    A fighter will be added to Nova Scotia.
    These two moves combined are easing pressure on Germany’s first turn.  I like the UK ftr in normandy, it makes Germany decide between killing that ftr in Normandy or taking that IC on the Med in SFrance G1.  If we reduce the allied presence in Europe Germany may find they can do both.  Why are you thinking Nova scotia needs an airbase?   I’d like to see some more reasoning on this.

The transport in z109 will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    A second transport will be added to z106.
    I don’t like this change, I like where the trns are because Germany does not have the assets to hit all the trns and all the bb’s, or all the trns and all the dd’s.  They have to pick.

The airbase in Malta will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    An airbase will be added to Egypt.
    I personally really like the maltese AB, especially for Italy.  That’s not to say Egypt doesn’t need one, but I think we had better look at the pros/cons of an AB in egypt on allied aircraft movement.

• @JimmyHat:

Main issue I see with this and the exile rule in general is can territories still be captured by your ally while your capital is taken?  I think they should be able to.

Hmmm now that’s a good question.  I think that since the Gov’t in Exile rule has UK Europe collecting IPCs only for UK controlled territories in North and South America, then those in Africa, middle east, etc. are up for grabs.  For instance, let’s say London has fallen and Italy takes Egypt and then USA takes Egypt back.  It is not liberated because its capitol (London) is axis controlled.  USA takes control and collects income for Egypt, builds and uses facilities there, etc.  When London is liberated, control of Egypt would then revert to UK Europe based in London.

I think that’s how it would work. Anyone know whether I am correct about that?

• @JimmyHat:

We need to address what happens when ‘Canada’ captures a territory.  What about a UK territory?

I would say that they can’t collect for it until London is liberated.  The capitol of former UK territories in Africa, middle east, etc. is London.

• @JimmyHat:

POSSIBLE Setup changes to go with Government in Exile

The airbase in Scotland will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    An airbase will be added to Nova Scotia (i.e. “Gander airbase” for historical accuracy).
    I don’t know if I feel well about this.  I mean Scotland should get a NB and AB because of Scapa flow….the main issue is this leaves that fleet off scotland from the protection of 1 scrambling ftr G1.  Also that airbase is awesome if ferrying ftrs to Russia, although UK could build one.  Perhaps we should just add an AB to novascotia?

I was thinking Nova Scotia needs one because UK in exile can’t afford to build one and they would never get to build a single transport without protection against subs. So they must have the airbase and then they can decide whether to move any fighters and/or destroyers there from across the Atlantic (I assume they usually lose the destroyer and transport in z106 on G1). The airbase also allows UK to fly fighters back to UK before London falls.  I figured if they get an extra airbase in Nova Scotia, they should lose one somewhere and the Gibraltar and Malta ones are too important to lose.  I guess we could just add 1 for canada.
    The fighter in Normandy will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    A fighter will be added to Nova Scotia.
    These two moves combined are easing pressure on Germany’s first turn.  I like the UK ftr in normandy, it makes Germany decide between killing that ftr in Normandy or taking that IC on the Med in SFrance G1.  If we reduce the allied presence in Europe Germany may find they can do both.  Why are you thinking Nova scotia needs an airbase?   I’d like to see some more reasoning on this.

I agree.  The fighter in West France is important.  I say we drop this idea

The transport in z109 will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    A second transport will be added to z106.
    I don’t like this change, I like where the trns are because Germany does not have the assets to hit all the trns and all the bb’s, or all the trns and all the dd’s.  They have to pick.

I agree here too.  Germany should face tough choices G1, and it should be up to the UK player what to do.

The airbase in Malta will be removed from the Alpha 2 setup.
    An airbase will be added to Egypt.
    I personally really like the maltese AB, especially for Italy.  That’s not to say Egypt doesn’t need one, but I think we had better look at the pros/cons of an AB in egypt on allied aircraft movement.

This one doesn’t really have much to do with the Gov’t in Exile directly.  I had put this idea here becasue someone suggested it and it would to help people keep count of whether UK was getting any extra naval bases.

replies in bold

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

London falls to Germany or Italy (don’t laugh, I’ve taken England TWICE with Italy!).  The conquering nation get the whole treasury (hey, it’s all there to be used by England.  You should get penalyzed for losing your capitol!)

Immediately on the fall of England:

Quebec gets 1d6 infantry immediately.
    Quebec gets +3 IPC land value (should give them 10 IPC for all of Canada then, and this would allow the complex to be upgraded as well.) 
    Quebec collects for all European territories that England controls.

• Jennifer, Quebec city is not the capitol of Canada; Ottawa is the capitol (any Canadians reading this will know why that is funny).  :-D

@Vance:

Jennifer, Quebec city is not the capitol of Canada; Ottawa is the capitol (any Canadians reading this will know why that is funny).   :-D

I meant Ontario…but Quebec is a province, not a city I thought.

Anyway….America would be able to immediately reinforce Ontario to prevent the Germans from walking in and taking it. (They can declare war the same round London falls.)

• Sponsor

Qubec city is in the province of Quebec, so is Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are in the province of Ontario. Toronto is the capital of Ontario, Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

• Right. I realized that and then removed it.

I think the only setup change that is really needed is the addition of the airbase for nova scotia, unless anyone can point out anything else?.

Okay, I am looking at the map and the Victory City is in Ontario.  Make of that what you will, but that’s why I assumed the exile government would be there.

@Vance:

Right. I realized that and then removed it.

I think the only setup change that is really needed is the addition of the airbase for nova scotia, unless anyone can point out anything else?.

And a fighter in Ontario.  That way it can get to England before Germany can attack.

• @Cmdr:

London falls to Germany or Italy (don’t laugh, I’ve taken England TWICE with Italy!).  The conquering nation get the whole treasury (hey, it’s all there to be used by England.  You should get penalyzed for losing your capitol!)

Immediately on the fall of England:

Quebec gets 1d6 infantry immediately.
    Quebec gets +3 IPC land value (should give them 10 IPC for all of Canada then, and this would allow the complex to be upgraded as well.) 
    Quebec collects for all European territories that England controls.

meh, they all just wish they were in America instead! ;P

If we are adding inf to Canada I think we should do it in the force setup.

We could boost their income, but I would do it with an NO.  It could be worth 3ipcs.  Not sure where to locate it though.

What happens if Canadian troops capture Albania for instance?  Would Canada get the ipc or would it go to London.

Also if this and the neutral block rule that I propose went through, whats to stop Canada from fighting to take over Samerica while US goes to the Mainland?

• OK so you want UK to get 1 extra airbase and 1 extra fighter in Nova Scotia.  Should they lose anything elsewhere to make up for those extras?  Should the axis get something too?

• @Vance:

Right. I realized that and then removed it.

We may find that Canada needs another inf, but lets have playtesting find that out.  Canada is probably secure.

If London is liberated, all Canadian ipcs go to London?

I am warming to the AB in nova scotia, not so sure about the ftr though.  Whats to keep it from moving to London and aiding in the defense of the capital.  Perhaps we move it to off the AB so that UK1 it moves to AB, UK2 it makes it to London…hmmmm

No, I want an Airbase in Nova Scotia, I want a fighter in Ontario (specifically so it is close enough to reinforce England, but far enough it can’t do anything in round 1.)

I want Canada to get 1d6 infantry if and only if London falls.  (Masses flocking to the recruiting stations to liberate Mother England!  God save the King!!).  That way they are not just extra units for England to use where they please, but units specifically to bolster the defense of the government in exile.

• @Cmdr:

I want Canada to get 1d6 infantry if and only if London falls.  (Masses flocking to the recruiting stations to liberate Mother England!  God save the King!!).  That way they are not just extra units for England to use where they please, but units specifically to bolster the defense of the government in exile.

Thats exceptionally radical, I can’t think of any other instance where a nation gets units for a die roll.  I think that is too radical for Delta.  This should feel and play like an A&A game, not an ‘expansion’ or house rules game.

• Boosting the income of Canada sorta defies the whole purpose of Sea-lion, doesn’t it?

I feel that Canada’s IPC should remain 7 (or less) no matter what they conquer.

@JimmyHat:

@Cmdr:

Thats exceptionally radical, I can’t think of any other instance where a nation gets units for a die roll.  I think that is too radical for Delta.  This should feel and play like an A&A game, not an ‘expansion’ or house rules game.

I don’t think it’s too terribly different than France suddenly getting infantry for being liberated, do you?  (fine 12 IPC.  Maybe it’s 12 IPC for London falling then?  It’s almost the same as the die roll.)

• @special:

I feel that Canada’s IPC should remain 7 (or less) no matter what they conquer.

me too.  except maybe they can take Brazil and get $9, plus those infantry!

• Yeah…otherwise Canada can become too powerful and that would probably upset the balance.  So Canada cannot capture territory for canada, only for London which is conquered at the moment.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m