G40 League House Rule project

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

Updated with Ranger v Jensen result - last for 2012?

That’s it as far as I know.

• Oops - forgot to re-order the rankings on the last one…
    Some places have shifted a little.  Darth edges out Tyzoq for #2, and a few other minor changes have happened

2012 League standings.xls

• New sheet for 2012-2013 with first result in

Man, if nobody is going to beat Yoshi then maybe I’ll have to play him again

AA League standings.xls

• just in case : this was for the playoff of last season.

• Thanks.  I’ll change it.

• Updated

Another Axis victory added to 2012 league

JWW will no doubt need to feel he got fair dice before giving up on his gimmicky 2 sub bid
    Save yourself the trouble and believe SouL’s excellent analysis and constructive criticism, JWW  :-)

AA League standings.xls

• Updated

Just realized there was a result 10 days ago… on a new results thread so I didn’t get notification… it won’t happen again now that I’ve posted there…

Axis race off to a 2-0 start for '12-'13 with bids of 11 and 14 against them…

Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up… to play the Allies with insufficient bid

Also captured 2 G40 2013 results…

AA League standings.xls

Should we consider outlawing the Russian Bomber bid?

Not sure if anyone has even played it here, but it doesn’t seem like a “fun” game.  Its not a great odds attack.  I think 45% to hit the DD and survive, but if Russia losses the the bom vs. dd battle or both hit (leaving the trns) its probably over for the Allies as that is essentially a no bid game.  And I’d hate to see people using that bid then losing the battle and then surrendering right away.  Seems sort of cheap.

But if we officially outlaw it, maybe we see some bids around 12 or more?

I know I don’t really care to play a game giving 12 if it is just for a bomber, but might under other circumstances.

Thoughts?

• My opinion is that you don’t need to outlaw a Russian bomber bid.  I have been involved in many games with bid of 12 or more, and no one ever elects a Russian bomber and I’m sure everyone knows about the Z51 attack possibility.  I also don’t think the Axis are dead if the Russian bomber succeeds and the Japs lose 2 transports and a destroyer.  Remember, there would be nothing in Egypt or the Atlantic or Russia’s western front.

@Gamerman01:

My opinion is that you don’t need to outlaw a Russian bomber bid.  I have been involved in many games with bid of 12 or more, and no one ever elects a Russian bomber and I’m sure everyone knows about the Z51 attack possibility.  I also don’t think the Axis are dead if the Russian bomber succeeds and the Japs lose 2 transports and a destroyer.  Remember, there would be nothing in Egypt or the Atlantic or Russia’s western front.

That’s exactly what I was thinking and I haven’t seen it here but as 12+ bids possibly become more common I was just wondering if people would try it.  And I wasn’t thinking more about the success but about the failure and then having people quit before round 1 is over.

I think we have a good group of AA50 players so you’re right we are probably okay.  Maybe just something I’ll keep my eye on.

@Gamerman01:

I have been involved in many games with bid of 12 or more

I’m still hesitant to do that.  I know what I’d do with 12, 13, or 14, and I don’t like what I see, so my threshold is still 11 or 12.

• '12

@DarthMaximus:

@Gamerman01:

I’m still hesitant to do that.  I know what I’d do with 12, 13, or 14, and I don’t like what I see, so my threshold is still 11 or 12.

gamer will you please play DM giving him 13?  :-D

@Boldfresh:

@DarthMaximus:

@Gamerman01:

gamer will you please play DM giving him 13?   :-D

Hey, no starting trouble here!  :-D

• Honnestly, if I had to play with a russian bmb bid, I’d take the tp in sz62 with it, landing somewhere like in India, waiting to kill a second tranny, and then being usefull against Germany starting on R3. hat’s a way to slow down Japan early without having to buid a bmb in Caucasus (you can build 100% ground units on R1, giving something similar to the bonus you can have with a russian bid unit).

But I would no think about that with a bid less than 15 (additional inf in Egypt), and I have no clue if that would be a wise bid or not.

• So neither Yoshi or I would ever attack Z51 with a Russian bomber, nor would we probably ever take a Russian bomber with a bid 12+, for what it’s worth.

If the Allies lose the battle in Z51 without even sinking the destroyer, well then, they’re just back to a zero bid.  I for one would certainly not quit even if I did take a Russian bomber bid and cheesily try to sink everything in Z51 and fail.  You’re no more doomed than if you are playing straight up no bid…

I think the better question is, should we start requiring Dardanelles closed in 1941 league play!!!?  That’s a good way to balance this game and possibly lower the bid close to zero.  I think it’s corny that Russia has to worry so much about an Italian/German can opener using the black sea anyway!

Another option is to disallow the building of island complexes, which tends to slow down Japan by giving them less options.  I used to play with that house rule (really a Larry rule) along with Dardanelles closed, and it gave AA50 a more balanced feel!

@Gamerman01:

So neither Yoshi or I would ever attack Z51 with a Russian bomber, nor would we probably ever take a Russian bomber with a bid 12+, for what it’s worth.

If the Allies lose the battle in Z51 without even sinking the destroyer, well then, they’re just back to a zero bid.  I for one would certainly not quit even if I did take a Russian bomber bid and cheesily try to sink everything in Z51 and fail.  You’re no more doomed than if you are playing straight up no bid…

I think the better question is, should we start requiring Dardanelles closed in 1941 league play!!!?  That’s a good way to balance this game and possibly lower the bid close to zero.  I think it’s corny that Russia has to worry so much about an Italian/German can opener using the black sea anyway!

Another option is to disallow the building of island complexes, which tends to slow down Japan by giving them less options.  I used to play with that house rule (really a Larry rule) along with Dardanelles closed, and it gave AA50 a more balanced feel!

Interesting options, but I think we are probably good for now.  I don’t mind higher bids, just wanted to make sure as we get to 12+ people don’t avoid it just b/c they don’t want to see the Russian bomber gambit.  I’m not a big fan of the bomber bid, but its good to hear other players like you and Yoshi kind of say the same thing.  I think it is far better to get more units on the board and deal with Ger, but always good to hear other thoughts.

Another reason I don’t mind bids or higher bids is it adds a little variety, while some bid placements are better than others there certainly enough good placement options so it at least allows for some different opens.

• Updated with G40 results

AA League standings.xls

• Updated with G40 results

AA League standings.xls

• Updated with 2 G40 results

AA League standings.xls

• Updated with latest G40 results

AA League standings.xls

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics