Stop the madness, and start the presses

• @Vance:

It makes sense because it will only work some of the time (i.e. if Germany has no navy at all).  It is not a standard thing that would happen in every game.

Nothing happens the same way in every game (except that Italy is just about always screwed).
    I’m not talking about Russia taking it as soon as the game starts or even the same turn they have war declaired on it. I see no reason why if they’re attacked by Germany turn 3 that they couldn’t have things ready turn 4 or 5. Or if Japan attacks Russia on J1 (happens a lot in my games) that Russia couldn’t start thinking about how to round up potential Neutral countries. In probably 80% of my games Germany does not dominate the Atlantic, so while they could place a sub or two there it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that the RN or USN would be able to kill whatever is barring the way.
    The games that Germany does end up being able be the dominant force in the atlantic you wouldn’t bother building it. It’s as simple as that.
    I never play a game of A&A with a 100% strategy in mind. I go into it with a general idea of what I want to do and firm goals to accomplish. But I always leave a little wiggleroom to pick up on openings left by other players and weaknesses I can exploit. This Russian dude drinkin’ it up in Ireland would not be something I would look to do every game as Russia, but it would be an option for something I could do should the opportunity present itself.

• @Young:

Back to the topic for one moment. Who believes that Larry has finalized the Global 1940 rules, and who thinks there will be more alpha changes?

Were I a betting man, I’d expect more changes. If nothing else some changes need to be made to fix the last round of changes that were made
    (  .  Y  .  )
        ^ ^
    ________/

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Carnage:

@Young:

Back to the topic for one moment. Who believes that Larry has finalized the Global 1940 rules, and who thinks there will be more alpha changes?

Were I a betting man, I’d expect more changes. If nothing else some changes need to be made to fix the last round of changes that were made
    (  .  Y  .  )
         ^ ^
    ________/

He said final revisions on 2 November 2011.  That’s tomorrow, so we’ll probably have a “final” set of rules and the new games will probably ship with them.

• Ummm so if some of these oddball gamey things like USSR taking Ireland will only happen some of the time (perhaps rarely), then doesn’t that kind of suggest that they are exceptional things that exceptional players might do, rather than flaws with the game itself?  I kind of like the Russian NO because Stalin most definitely wanted the Balkans and as much of Eastern Europe as possible to be Communist (except Greece maybe).  For the game, it counters some of the really pro-axis things in the latest version (i.e. setup changes in france, loss of airbases in med).

Anyway, it will be great to see the final version!!  The game is much cooler than it was a year ago and everyone has benefited from considering the possibilities of each iteration.

• @Vance:

Ummm so if some of these oddball gamey things like USSR taking Ireland will only happen some of the time (perhaps rarely), then doesn’t that kind of suggest that they are exceptional things that exceptional players might do, rather than flaws with the game itself?

No, because any player that realizes the cost-benefit to taking Ireland will see it as a beneficial strategy - in most cases, that is.
    It’s not even remotely an exception.  It is too easy for Russia to do and pays off too much.  The pay-off doesn’t make much sense anyway.  It’s extremely gamey but is too worth it for Russia to overlook as an “exceptional” thing.

For the game, it counters some of the really pro-axis things in the latest version (i.e. setup changes in france, loss of airbases in med).

Hardly.  Russia will get +3 for the rest of the game for Ireland, but realistically won’t attain any other bonus for the rest of the game.  That has no relationship with the amount that UK has been nerfed.  Balance doesn’t work like that.
    The removal of those airbases serves only to be an entirely arbitrary change in an attempt to “balance” a pro-Allies set-up.

• @Alsch91:

No, because any player that realizes the cost-benefit to taking Ireland will see it as a beneficial strategy - in most cases, that is.
    It’s not even remotely an exception.  It is too easy for Russia to do and pays off too much.  The pay-off doesn’t make much sense anyway.  It’s extremely gamey but is too worth it for Russia to overlook as an “exceptional” thing.
    Hardly.  Russia will get +3 for the rest of the game for Ireland, but realistically won’t attain any other bonus for the rest of the game.  That has no relationship with the amount that UK has been nerfed.  Balance doesn’t work like that.
    The removal of those airbases serves only to be an entirely arbitrary change in an attempt to “balance” a pro-Allies set-up.

You can’t see it, but I’m giving you two thumbs up. I’m on the same page as you. I like the spirit of the latest Russian NO, but I’d like to see it restricted to the Soviet satellites Stalin wanted as a buffer between Russia and the rest of Europe. With Finland as a separate NO all together.

I’d be good with the NO applying to territories European territories that Russia can walk too (and Turkey).  Yes, Scandinavia is part of Europe.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Carnage:

@Young:

(  .  Y  .  )
         ^ ^
    ________/

He said final revisions on 2 November 2011.  That’s tomorrow, so we’ll probably have a “final” set of rules and the new games will probably ship with them.

Source?

• Customizer

@Vance:

I kind of like the Russian NO because Stalin most definitely wanted the Balkans and as much of Eastern Europe as possible to be Communist (except Greece maybe).

You know, Stalin was a real chicken-s**t in supporting supposed allies.  Greece had a communist party and they tried to rise up but since there was a large British presence already in Greece, Stalin sent no support whatsoever for the Greek Communists.  I mean, I can understand that he didn’t want to piss off the British by sending forces into Greece, especially since they were still struggling to defeat Germany, but it still seems really crappy to leave fellow Communists to be nearly wiped out in Greece.
    It’s like what happened in Warsaw.  The Russians were closing in on Warsaw, steadily pushing the Germans back.  So, the Polish Underground in Warsaw rose up against the Germans because they were expecting the Russians to arrive.  Instead, Stalin halted the offensive and left the Warsaw Poles on their own.  The Germans brutally crushed the uprising and a lot of brave Poles paid dearly for it.  I guess from a strict tactical point of view, it made sense for the Soviets.  Let the Poles kill as many Germans as possible and tie down more German reinforcements then go in and mop up what’s left.  As far as supporting people fighting a common foe, that was a really crappy thing to do.

@Young:

@Cmdr:

@Carnage:

@Young:

(  .  Y  .  )
         ^ ^
    ________/

Source?

Discussion thread that the rules are listed in on his own website.

• @Cmdr:

@Young:

@Cmdr:

@Carnage:

@Young:

(  .  Y  .  )
        ^ ^
    ________/

Source?

Discussion thread that the rules are listed in on his own website.

Yep. All you have to do is search for it in the 210 pages.

• Customizer

So Alpha+3 will be the final draft for Global 1940 rules.  Wow!  For a while there kept being so many changes that I wasn’t sure there would ever be an end to them.

I guess if any of us are unhappy with any of these rules now, it will be up to us to simply create house rules for them.  Of course, since my gaming group is basically the same 5-6 people all the time, once we all find something we can agree on, it shouldn’t be any problem.  For those of you that play with different people a lot or go and play the A&A tournaments, I guess you will have to either accept the rules as is or find your own compromises with your game players.   (I would like to see one of them sometime but they are usually too far away from where I live.  Plus I usually don’t hear about them until it’s too late to make travel plans and get time off work.  Well, maybe someday.)

I feel comfortable saying that AA.org will probably have a set of house rules for AAG40A+3 unless Larry makes some changes to restore things.  It’ll be a set of house rules, of course, so no one will be forced to use them.

We’d have to start a thread for the “AA.org Tournament Rules” or some such thing.

Anyway, I think WOTC put the date restriction on Larry, so they could be ready for Black Friday.  Gotta keep in mind, this is a business, they need to make money and sending out revised rule sets and new pieces after the product is bought is pure loss in the eyes of the bean counters.

• Customizer

So you think the re-issue of the 1940 games will be by Thanksgiving?  I was talking to Coach about this a few days back and he didn’t think it would be until after the first of the year.  If they want to make “Black Friday” though, you are probably right.  I asked Coach if he thought they might change some of the pieces (particularly Italy and France) and he didn’t think so.  Changing pieces costs a lot of money and that would cut into profits too much.  Hopefully they will include the thicker cardboard NCMs and counters for ICs and bases in the new Pacific 40 games.  Those thin ones suck.

• I wonder if they could add money in the games again.  1942 and the first release of the g40 games did not have the money :(.

• @ghr2:

I wonder if they could add money in the games again.  1942 and the first release of the g40 games did not have the money :(.

Yea, that was dumb. It’s good to actually hold the IPC’s when you want to buy stuff.

Personally i feel it is pity that there isn’t a dual set-up.
    I mean, in the Anniversary edition you had the 41 and the 42 scenario, which was a great idea.
    Something similar should be possible in Global too. For example an Axis-favored and an Allies-favored set up. Give both an inspiring name, et voila!

… but i suppose that getting at least 1 solid set-up already seems problematic

• @Young:

@Cmdr:

Source?

The source is here:  http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149&start=1504

More specifically:

@Dave:

Larry,

Do you have a pencils down due date with Wizards yet?  I’m just curious.

Thank you

Response by Larry:  Yes I do…  Folks it’s November 2nd.

@knp7765:

So you think the re-issue of the 1940 games will be by Thanksgiving?  I was talking to Coach about this a few days back and he didn’t think it would be until after the first of the year.  If they want to make “Black Friday” though, you are probably right.  I asked Coach if he thought they might change some of the pieces (particularly Italy and France) and he didn’t think so.  Changing pieces costs a lot of money and that would cut into profits too much.  Hopefully they will include the thicker cardboard NCMs and counters for ICs and bases in the new Pacific 40 games.  Those thin ones suck.

If I were in charge of production I would certainly want to have the new rules in the boxes by Black Friday.  Christmas is pretty much THE big time of year these expensive games are given, in my opinion.  And who would want to have to go print off their own copy on ugly black and white paper instead of having a color copy in the box?

It just seems to be the better way to go, public relations wise.

As for money, I have to admit, I like my money to look pristine, so I have 3 copies of the old game and I use the money from that for the new ones.  (I own 5 copies of the original game, 2 factory sealed collector’s editions.)

gsh34, thank you for tracking it down for me.  I am WAY too lazy to search through 200+ pages for it.  :wink:

• Sponsor

Yes…… Thankyou all for your contributions in this regard. It is now high noon on November 2nd and I’m not sure what to anticipate, but I am checking harrisgames regularly.

@Young:

Yes…… Thankyou all for your contributions in this regard. It is now high noon on November 2nd and I’m not sure what to anticipate, but I am checking harrisgames regularly.

I’m rather worried Larry’s gotten the flu and that’s why he has not posted…  He’s usually pretty good about posting at least once every few days…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m