• Customizer

@Cmdr:

I dont think the two transports is the best option.  DD, SS, AC is probably better, since in Alpha 2 you can’t sink all the British ships because of scrambling.

You can get sz110 and sz111 for sure.  Sz106 is a 50%.  That is enough to allow a buy of 1 CV and 1 TT (maybe 2).

But UK can defend with enough in Alpha 2+ to get the odds of success for Sealion at 50% or lower.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Generally, I see SZ 111, not SZ 110.  Not enough units to hit everything reliably and counter a 3 fighter scramble from England.

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

Generally, I see SZ 111, not SZ 110.  Not enough units to hit everything reliably and counter a 3 fighter scramble from England.

2 sb, 3 fht, 3 tac on sz110

2 sb, 1 fht, 1 tac, 1 bmb on sz111

If he scrambles in either one, he loses not just his ships, but planes needed to defend London.  Scrambling wouldn’t be wise.

@jim010:

@Cmdr:

Generally, I see SZ 111, not SZ 110.  Not enough units to hit everything reliably and counter a 3 fighter scramble from England.

2 sb, 3 fht, 3 tac on sz110

2 sb, 1 fht, 1 tac, 1 bmb on sz111

If he scrambles in either one, he loses not just his ships, but planes needed to defend London.  Scrambling wouldn’t be wise.

France
    West France
    South France
    Yugoslavia

However, that gives me an idea, how bad would it be NOT to hit France on Round 1, instead, using all your planes to cripple England?

• Customizer

France
    West France
    South France
    Yugoslavia

Leave West France until turn 2.

South France is taken by Italy.

3 tanks and as many inf as you please on Yugo?  Don’t need a plane on Yugo.

And there is more than enough ground units to take Paris.

• Customizer

This is 1 opening I use.  A safer one is 3 fht and 3 tac to sz110.  This is based off my Sealion 1.0 posted way back last year.

Germany

Buys

1 CV, 2 TT

CM

Norway to sz111
    1 fht

Ger to sz111
    1 bmb

sz124 to sz111
    1 sb

sz118 to sz111
    1 sb

sz108 to sz110
    1 sb

sz103 to sz110
    1 sb

sz117 to sz106
    1 sb

Hol to sz110
    1 fht

Wgr to sz110
    2 fht, 3 tac

Ger to sz111
    1 tac

sz113 to sz112
    1 BB, 1 CA

Sge to Yug
    2 inf

Hun to Yug
    2 inf, 1 tank, 1 fht

Rma to Yug
    1 inf, 1 tank

Pol to Yug
    1 tank, 1 tac

Wge to Paris
    3 inf, 1 art, 4 mec

Sge to Paris
    2 tank

Hol to Paris
    3 tanks, 2 art, 1 inf

NCM

Yugo to Sit
    1 fht, 1 tac

Rma to Bul
    1 inf

Nwy to Fin
    1 inf

sz113 to sz112
    1 TT (load from Den 2 inf to Nwy)

sz111 to sz112
    1 tac

Sge to Wge
    2 inf, 2 art

Ger to Wge 2 inf

Pol to Ger
    3 inf

Sge to Ger
    2 inf

Wge to Hol
    1 AA

sz111 to Wge
    1 bmb

Ger to Wge
    1 AA

sz111 to sz112
    1 fht

sz110 to Hol
    3 fht, 1 tac

sz110 to Wge
    2 tac

Place

sz112

1 CV, 1 sb, 1 TT

Collect

$49 + $1 + $19 = $69

jimandstirl_vs_Questioneer_1ager.AAM

• I’m a bit more conservative with my G1.  I only hit the bb in sz11 and the CA off gibraltar.  This way I can perhaps get a sub from the atlantic to join my fleet off Denmark.  I also have been purchasing the 2 trns 1 CV on G1 so that I have a credible threat on a G2 invasion of Scotland with 5 inf 1 aa.  I have been leaving the Italian army to die in Tobruk lately and landing 2 ftr 1 tac in SItaly.  This way most of my airforce is available to clear the English channel if needed G2 but most likely their prescence will keep the remaining UK ships away from the coast of Europe.  G2 land in Scotland.  G3 land in london.  G2 expect to buy 1 dd rest trns, the dd is to add a cheap soak wound in case UK tries to sink the 8 or 9 trns in the Skaggerat.

I’m more conservative G1 because I don’t want my opponent to scramble, so I send maximum attackers so it is unwise for him.  I also hit Normandy.

I think when going 1 CV 1 dd 1 sub G1 that you are actually better suited to switching to Barbarossa and hitting Russia G3.

• Customizer

I, too have landed in Scotland turn 2.

Removing all UK ships from play I like better than just hitting 1 sz, as it removes options for him.  The fewer options he has, the better.  With 6 planes on sz110, he would do better to not scramble.

And if he does scramble, barring luck, you will win, and he loses 3 planes for your 1-2.  I like this, too, as it also removes more possibilites for him, and Seaion just became more viable.

All that being said, I repeat that with alpha 2, Sealion can be stopped cold.  I still use this opening, as it still kills the UK fleet, and UK MUST respond properly, making UK moves predictable.

• Is there some build besides solid infantry that will stop sealion?

@edfactor:

Is there some build besides solid infantry that will stop sealion?

I like an armor and some extra aircraft myself.

• Customizer

@edfactor:

No.  You need to max out your factory both turns.  That means 9 units turn 1 and 10 turn 2.

• Sponsor

@edfactor:

I spend my money in Quebec while I still have some. I than prepare and execute a plan to liberate London with the Americans, I Usually buy warships in the first turn or two including an aircraft carrier to retreat my fighters on, I call it operation Albatross.

• Customizer

@Young:

@edfactor:

I spend my money in Quebec while I still have some. I than prepare and execute a plan to liberate London with the Americans, I Usually buy warships in the first turn or two including an aircraft carrier to retreat my fighters on, I call it operation Albatross.

Why?  You can hold UK.  Why give it to the Germans?

• Well, not sure how you can hold UK but it might be possible.  What if Germ buys 2 trns G1 and then 10 more G2?  Now he can land with 13 loads in Scotland G3 and hit london with 26 ground plus aircraft G4?

I’d love to be able to hold UK, just not sure how to do it, does it include a US1 buy of a carrier to station in the Atlantic to ferry additional ftrs?

There is a viable strategy that entails abandoning England.

I have not tried, it, but I have heard of it.

• Customizer

Turn 3 can be stopped.  A turn 4 requires UK to hit and fade Scotland.

Germany should have 12 TT, not 13, though.

• Sponsor

@jim010:

@Young:

@edfactor:

I have seen 2 games where the UK spent all their resources trying to defend sea lion and when they eventually lost it, they were left with zero money and very little units on the Europe board. Needless to say that their game experience for the next 7 hours wasn’t much fun, I don’t want that to be me.

• @Young:

@jim010:

@Young:

@edfactor:

I have seen 2 games where the UK spent all their resources trying to defend sea lion and when they eventually lost it, they were left with zero money and very little units on the Europe board. Needless to say that their game experience for the next 7 hours wasn’t much fun, I don’t want that to be me.

I’m sure they have cost a lot to the Germans too, in units. If you’re lucky even some planes. If you give UK away, you’ll have zero money as well, and more units, but Germany will also lose a lot less, which is bad for Russia.

• @Young:

They may be true but I believe that if the UK can really bleed Germany enough in Sea Lion that it increases the chance greatly that the Allies will win the Game.  If the UK just does fully defend itself then Germany will win Sea Lion will the Air Force intact and with a ton of troops sitting in the London.  This makes taking London back for the US a very tough job.

• Sponsor

As the UK, I personally like liberating when Russia is distracting Germany rather than defending when I’m all alone. That’s just my strategy preference.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m