Changes still needed to the game, IMHO

• @Cmdr:

+2 Infantry, +1 Artillery to Romania
    +2 Infantry, +1 Artillery to Hungary

I agree if we talk Italian units.
    Maybe add 3 Italian inf and 1 Italian artillery to Romania, and the same to Hungary.

This will make the set-up more historically correct, since in fact 25 % of the Axis force that startet Barbarossa was non-germans.
    For playability, I think this will be a fair can-opener since with Alpha rules 4 Allied powers go in a row.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

We could make them Italian units in Romania.  I’d say make Bulgarian infantry go Italian regardless of if Germany annexes them or Italy does as well.  Same for Finland, if Italy annexes Finland, the infantry go German.

• @Cmdr:

Same for Finland, if Italy annexes Finland, the infantry go German.

Not to be a troll, but are there any reasons Germany should not activate Finland turn 1 ?

@Razor:

@Cmdr:

Same for Finland, if Italy annexes Finland, the infantry go German.

Not to be a troll, but are there any reasons Germany should not activate Finland turn 1 ?

None that I see.

• @Cmdr:

Dropping the Mexican and Alaskan NOs might work too, but some of these guys get antsy when you futz with the objectives.

So, we add units.  But I think it is not appropriate to make it easier for Japan to attack China, that’s already a pretty balanced game.  
    Adding transports in the South Pacific might make it too easy for Japan to get a VC victory.  I can see that being a concern, as all they need are six which means taking Hawaii and NSW (probably) along with Hong Kong, Philippines, that one in China and Japan itself.

Splitting America’s income by fiat seems to be something hard for people to swallow - although I still think it is the best solution as we already do it to England and there’s no way America would ever ignore the plight of England by allowing Germany to invade it.

I am considering a very modest increase really, it’s equivalent to the one proposed for Japan, only Russia is more able to absorb it than China is.

+2 Infantry, +1 Artillery to Romania
    +2 Infantry, +1 Artillery to Hungary
    +1 Infantry, +1 Artillery to Poland
    (15 IPC for Infantry, 12 IPC for Artillery = 27 IPC, 25-27 was proposed for Japan earlier)

1. Yeah, I’ll try to convince Larry to drop this unecessary NO- it really doesn’t effect current gameplay at all.

2. If the infantry, artillery are put on Japan like I suggest, then they are not really “crushing” China since Japan has to work a little to transport them off the island.  This includes buying more TTs.  Putting land units on the capital does make them work to get them off the island in the beginning AND its saves them from having to buy them in later rounds.  Now that money can be used to buy ships, bases or whatever.  It helps things out long-term.

3. Adding ships, aircraft, ICs, bases to ANY of the Axis powers makes them “too fast”.  I’m still very adament about placing inf/art on Japan island and SItaly capitals for this reason.

4. Your proposal of land units on the Eastern front is out of the question.  It makes Germany way too strong.  Larry has already said this is an area too touchy to mess with- I agree- that’s why when he balanced it last he put more infantry on the capital which was the safest.  I am suggesting the same for Japan island and SItaly along with the takeaway of the Mexican NO- which is not really needed mechanically or historically.

The ground units on the eastern front have been changed from German to Italian.  Perhaps Larry might consider that option?

But seriously, a few extra units on the Eastern front shouldnt unbalance the game, rather, it should bring America to invest in Europe, I think.

Anyway, what if we cobimed the Hawaiian, Mexican and Alaskan NOs?  That way taking Midway, Wake, Hawaii, Aleutians, etc would remove 15 IPC from America.  Oooh…hey, I like that!  America would have to invest in Midway as per real history!

• Was it Yamamoto who said we have awakened a sleeping giant?  What about Germany running out of people to keep their armed forces adequately enlisted, hence the Hitler youth.  Maybe after so many rounds Germany should only be able to produce a certain amount of Infantry,  who might fight at a disadvantage?  EEK GADS HEAVENS TO MURGATROID ZEPHON. I like it the way it is

• @suprise:

EEK GADS HEAVENS TO MURGATROID ZEPHON. I like it the way it is

that’s the spirit!

Again, not really bringing the game into balance by limiting Germany’s power when the problem is the impossibility of Japan to survive as it currently stands.

I was thinking if we IMPROVED Germany’s power against Russia we might force America to act more like they did in history, thereby relieving the strain on Japan.

• Hey! I said that earlier…

I’m beginning to like the concept of discarding the Alaskan NO (5 IPC for Alaska, Aluetian Islands, Lines Islands, Johnston Island and Hawaii (might be another one in there)) and replace it with Allied control of 3 of 5 of:

Egypt
    Syria
    Gibraltar
    Brazil
    Algeria

Again, only collectable if America is at war with the European nations.

• US production shouldnt be contingent on the other allies posessions
    If anything I feel the US has been nerfed to a point it can bareley be the force to reckon with that it once once, now its like Revised US….just another power

The US should start with at least another bomber, another boat in the atlantic (destroyer at panama, another cruiser?, or just a sub would be fine), and two more infantry on the mainland to off set its IPC losses from having its NOs balkanized.

Id even go as far as to give the US an infantry on Wake and Midway to represent that these outposts werent bare naked as they appear.

Im not asking for more naval assets at start, im asking for some niche units for the US that dont really threaten anybody for a long time, but at least start on the board so the first US turn isnt just building the missing links for its army, airforce, AND navy

• I think the US has been nerfed somewhat, but, where they are now is good. I would rather add a Japanese NO than take away a US one.

• Id prefer italy not in the war round 1 and UK cant attack italy R1

• @ghr2:

Id prefer italy not in the war round 1 and UK cant attack italy R1

Doesn’t make sense historically not to have Italy at war already lol…  Italy and Germany are allied and warring UK/France 1940 at the start of the game.

Having 2 German planes on Southern Italy gives them a boon and a fighting chance R1 IMO.

• Ok it seems people are pretty turbed when it comes to messing with the NOs- in that case a proposed alternative is to place land units on capitals which would be the safest.  I propose this:

Add 4inf, 1art to Japan-Tokyo
    Add 2inf, 2art to SItaly-Rome
    Add 1inf, 1art to Germany- Berlin

First, the idea is to give America an incentive not to let England, Africa and Europe fall to Germany unopposed.  Moving the Objective to these territories, effectively, does that.  But since it is an incentive, America does not HAVE to move to stop it.

Second, since the NO would only start on Round 4 (generally) it gives the Axis time to stop it.

Third, if America invests in the Atlantic to keep the NO, it loses equipment against Japan - YAY we are helping Japan, the only country in this game that needs help!

Fourth, if America decides not to invest in the Atlantic for the NO, it loses 5 IPC a round it can use against Japan - YAY we are helping Japan, the only country in this game that needs help!

Fifth, if America does invest in the Atlantic only, then Japan will win the game - YAY we effectively split the American build and made them just like every other country, able to put only 50 IPC on any given side of the board at a time!

• @Dark_Destroyer:

@ghr2:

Id prefer italy not in the war round 1 and UK cant attack italy R1

Doesn’t make sense historically not to have Italy at war already lol…  Italy and Germany are allied and warring UK/France 1940 at the start of the game.

Having 2 German planes on Southern Italy gives them a boon and a fighting chance R1 IMO.

It would make some sense historically.
    And even with the german planes, the UK can do crushing damage to the italin fleet with non too serious losses.  Also, a british invasion of torbruk R1 effectively stops the italian armies from doing anything significant in africa for the forseeable future.

Oh yes, I quite handily agree with you, a British attack on Tobruk (1 fighter from Gibraltar if W. France was not taken in addition) is a very good idea!  I thought that was standard, one of the many reasons I feel Russia capable in holding back the Germanic/Italian forces because Italy loses 67% of her transports, 67% of their shore bombardments and virtually all their attacking forces in N. Africa before Italy can go!

An attack on Ethiopia from W. India isn’t a bad idea either, for the record.

Also, I love it when Germany puts planes out to help the Italian fleet!  That means less planes to hit London with, perhaps delaying or cancelling Sea Lion.

• That’s why I plan on Sealion G3 and land 2 aircraft in SItaly and 2-3 aircraft in Tobruk.  Sure most of my German air is away for G2, but I built all ships G1 so I have a decent threat on UKsz’s, and now thankfully I’ve saved the Italian army and fleet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m