• @TMTM:

Well Alpha 2 has the creator/designers signature on it… obvious they thought it needed improved.

That’s what I’m saying.  It’s funny to me when people say “well, since this is the rule it must be what Larry intended”.  Ha!  He misses all KINDS of stuff.  Wish I could play against him head to head.  :-D

• @Blart:

In OOB the US can build 10 units on the front line in Korea and Norway, and thier 80 IPC income can not be affected.

If USA is buying a IC for those places, Axis is doing something very very bad, specially if the IC goes to Korea

Anyway, I hate the new turn order for alpha2: too many powers playing consecutive and then, a only-France turn  :?

• @Funcioneta:

@Blart:

In OOB the US can build 10 units on the front line in Korea and Norway, and thier 80 IPC income can not be affected.

If USA is buying a IC for those places, Axis is doing something very very bad, specially if the IC goes to Korea

Anyway, I hate the new turn order for alpha2: too many powers playing consecutive and then, a only-France turn  :?

I love the turn order.  It’s the same as P40, so now if I play P40 I won’t get all screwed up.  Plus Japan REALLY needs the USA to go immediately after them so she can at least destroyer block.  And no, the Axis doesn’t have to make a really bad play to give up a Korea complex.  Just get caught with air and fleet away from Japan, USA sneak a transport in and Russia immediately reinforce with waiting ground units.

Oh, that’s right.  OOB has nothing to stop Russia and Japan from going at it from turn 1.  :-P  And Russia walking right into NW Persia and into Persia and Iraq on turn 2…  :-P  Face it, Func, OOB is a relic of the past!!  :-)

• 45 to 10, with Func voting 10 times using different usernames!  :lol:

• is there some place where I can download Alpha-2 rules and new set-up charts? (I know there are ‘aids’ made by users, and posts, here and there, but is it an Alpha Rule Book somewhere outhere?)
    thanks

• @gamerman01:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4167&start=0

Straight from Larry - on his site.

Thanks Gamerman. I’ve seen that one (and the game-aids developed by users)  :-)
    I was wondering if this have been put all together in a new game manual though

additionally: is something like this for Alpha2 pacific and europe in adition to global?

thanks in advance

• Gallo, it’s not finalized yet, so no manual yet.  If you look around on Larry’s site maybe you can find out what kind of time-table we’re looking at, but I don’t know if anyone knows right now, including  :-P Larry.

Also, look around on Larry’s site for Alpha rules for E40 and P40 but as far as I know there’s really not anything.  P40 has an airplane reduction plan but same rules.

• play OOb too
    there’ll be an alpha 3, and a beta 47 and a gamme 119 version soon, with everybody complaining about the littlest things

we do use the neutral russia on pacific isn’t neutral russia on europe
    so persia can’t be taken when only at war with japan

• til today only played oob. to me it makes no sense to change that, since “killer-strategies” (strategies with 100%-garanteed wins) are not found yet in neither version.

• I must be behind the times But I ve only played 3 games and they have taken me and my mate 5 months to play 1-2 nights a week for 4-5 hours. We haven’t moved onto any alpha rules yet but I m interested by peoples comments and i want to get a copy of Alpha 2 rules. Can anyone help me?and Also how many games have people played before they changed. Each game takes so long it hardly seems like enough time has passed. Func sounds like a dude.

• Alpha +2!

It has made our games actually come down to skill and strategy. New scatter rules give Germany a fair chance.

• @gamerman01:

45 to 10, with Func voting 10 times using different usernames!  :lol:

I have a life. And no time to do such nonseses  :-D

Just switch ANZAC with China’s turn order, and the can opener issue is solved. No need to make such drastical change. The other changes could be interesting if Larry decides add a ‘definitive version’ label

Chesty: I wonder what means ‘sounds like a dude’  :lol:

• Func- I said you sound like a dude because you kind of Havent given up on OOB like me and it sounds like to me anyway people didnt play OOB enough to fully comprehend and play test it. From my memory people started whinging after 1 week. Also it sounds like alot of people have some very short games 3-5 rounds and they get a result, how can this be, every game I’ve played has gone 15-23 rounds. I reckon it to cricket- there is 20/20 hit and giggle style or there is a test match which has five days where no player can hide and there abilites are shown for what they are. If your games are over before 6- rounds you arent playing properly or playing very able opponents or crazy ones for that matter. I’m interested in Alpha but I do feel I havent fully explore the strategic potential of OOB yet.
    I would like another year of play so i can try all the different ways to play each country.
    Cheers

• Agreed

• I played about 30-35 games of OBB with my friend before the release of Alpha 2 and the axis won twice and 2 or 3 draws and about 30 losses.  When the game first came out we played everytime I got out of work for the most part then after that averaged about two 12 hour games a week if the axis could hold out that long.  The only time the axis would win is if I went all in the Pacific and tried to kill Japan first and stayed their too long.  I tried that because it was so easy to cruise to Europe and stomp Germany with USA because the consequences of ignoring Japan are not anything like they are now.  Germany and Italy could not handle the US spending all of its points in the Alantic that early.  The German Airforce was too weak to be a threat to an Allied fleet and the minor factory in Germany made it hard to get troops to Russia.  The Italian fleet could be destroyed on turn 1 without any resistance.  You can still do that attack in Alpha 2 but it is with greater consequences and risks for the allies now.

• Thanks for the post, Frank.  Yep, you pretty much summed up a few of the many reasons why OOB is fatally flawed, and you have the 30-35 games to back it up.

I get the feeling from my few games of Alpha2 so far (not going too crazy playing it - just a couple games at a time because it will probably be changed anyway) that the Allies still have a significant advantage in Alpha2.  But I have to admit none of the games have lasted even more than a few rounds (with the Axis getting obliterated each time) so maybe those oil field NO’s could really come into play sometimes I suppose.

To me, Russia and USA have suffocating power (Russia is very deep, and as Larry himself acknowledged - he wondered if it was 1 territory too deep), and the UK can be very powerful as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m