• Just wondering what you gys do in the med witht the British if you decide to try and hold it.

Of course, if you are going with the setup with two airbases in Italy, I wouldn’t bother trying, just pull back and save things to retake when you have a bit more stuff, or at least stop the Italians from taking all of Africa.

If you are going with the setup with only one air-base in Italy, where the British fleet is off Egypt and there is an airfield and a plane in Malta, and a plane in gibralter, an attack on the italians is a possibility. This is mostly what I am interested in.

In the next game, we are using that setup. We are playing so that you can scramble against a sea assault on any territory in the same sea zone as the airbase.

I am Britain and will try to hold Egypt and the Med. Subject to what goes on with the royal navy and the Germans, I’m gonna think about purchasing a minor IC for Egypt and an airbase for trans-jordan.

I will hit Iraq with two men on an Egyptian transport and the planes from India - to land in Transjordan after 1 round, unless it looks like I will win withuot air casualties.

My major question is, what do I do with the Navy. Three options spring to mind:

1. Hit SZ 97 and use a cruiser to block in sz 96 = 15 pips (7 hits) v 19 pips (6 hits). If I win, Egypt will be held and the Italian navy will eventually get taken out

2. Hit SZ 95 wiht everything that will reach = 18 pips (8 hits) v 18 pips (7 hits).

3. just hold in sz 98 - maybe block 99 and 96 with a destroyer and a cruiser.

Can anyone please provide some perspectives on this, or describe experiences with these options.

Thanks.

• Spending all that money in the med invites your german opponent to do a sealion attack against a lightly defended london.  Also since it is facilities not units italy stands a fair chance of capturing them and potentially using them against you.

Typically with england I have made sealion as painful as possible for the germans figuring if they take well defended london it will cost them soo much their position against the soviets and americans will be hopeless.

• If germany somehow gets out of position g1 then go for it. Just beware of their G2 purchasing power compared to yours :|

• You can merge all of your naval units of Gibraltar and reinforce it with planes from London to the Gibraltar airbase.

• @frydonomics:

You can merge all of your naval units of Gibraltar and reinforce it with planes from London to the Gibraltar airbase.

Sure,you can do that, leaving the UK completely open to a sealion.

• All this is valid.

The guys I play against, I think, are lielyy to not prep for a sealion and are most likely to build men for Russia on the first go. This is why I was thinking about trying to hold the med.

If they do posture for Sealion, obviously I will building a home defense.

I don’t see an advantage to grouping the navy near Gibralter.

• if you group your navy at Gibraltar and move planes there, then you get the advantage of the scrambling planes on defense

• @poloplayer15:

if you group your navy at Gibraltar and move planes there, then you get the advantage of the scrambling planes on defense

Who would attack Z91 if the UK moved its entire fleet there? Germany would focus on either taking London or preparing Barbarossa; Italy would be much too weak anyway.

• When there is no immediate Sealion threat: The advantage of grouping the UK Navy at Gibraltar (I use SZ 92) on UK1 is that–with help from redeployed Indian planes–it can kill the Italian Navy unless it stays in SZ 95 or 97 on I1. In SZs 93, 94, 96, 98, and 99, the Italian Navy dies I2.

• I agree that 92 is probably better than 91.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m