RESEARCH FACILITIES - and Infrastructure - Simple rule additions

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Everyone whines about Tech here and there.  I have a new approach, learned from my days of custom gaming.

RESEARCH FACILITIES

*Buy a Reasearch Facility piece for $15.  For each Facility, at the END of your turn AFTER placement, you get to roll a Tech die.

If you LOSE a research facility, The facility is destroyed, and the conquerer can choose to take a tech from you, if you have one they don’t already have.  If no Tech is available to steal, the conqueror can make a tech roll at the end of the conquering turn, as the research facility is removed.

Each nation starts with a facility in their capital.  Including France, excluding China.  U.K. Calcutta DOES NOT get one.

Everyone now gets a decent chance at research.

Optional
    At the start of the game, BEFORE ANY DICE are rolled, every gets one free roll at research.

• One could also PAY an 8 IPC sum to the bank to “keep” a conquered facility.

OTHER
    We used to play with economic influx rules, where buying Factories would give you bonuses per nation.  For Example

For each complex Russia Had they were + 1 inf
    For each complex Japan had they were + 3 IPC’s
    for each complex Germany had (20 IPC’s) they recieved 1 sub OR 1 armor.

Now nation specific rules are too complex,  but the rule of +3 IPC’s for every minor factory…  not so bad.  This should be tried out.

• I love these research facility rules. I think that research is to hard to get to have it make an impact on the game. And some of these things are cool. Who wouldn’t want subs attacking on a 3! Besides to have a decent chance of getting a technology you have to roll 6 dice! Thats way to expensive for me. I must try these rules sometime.

• I really like this rule, can facilities be destroyed in SBR’s though, also I don’t think the Soviet Union should get a research complex though seeing as they purged all the scientists a decade earlier.

• Agreed with Spartan. I think us and germany should get 2, uk gets 1, su, non, italy 1, and france 1 maybe non.

I wanted the balance to be fair, and for everyone to get a shake.  That’s why I liked the idea of everyone getting one to start.  The Russians still had good tanks, katyuhsa rockets etc.  I don’t want to over the power the rule for the axis.  But feel free to implement the house rule HOWEVER YOU LIKE.

SURE, we could add SBR on Research facilities.  Basically, if you don’t pay down the damage (Maximum of 6 dmg), you don’t get to roll a research dice from that facility.

• '10

Got a new live game friday, we are going to give it a try.

But we’ll stick to this :

RESEARCH FACILITIES

*Buy a Reasearch Facility piece for $15.   For each Facility, at the END of your turn AFTER placement, you get to roll a Tech die.

Each nation starts with a facility in their capital.  Including France, excluding China.  U.K. Calcutta DOES NOT get one.

Optional
    At the start of the game, BEFORE ANY DICE are rolled, every power gets one free roll at research.

We’re dumping the Tech stealing thing, because if UK gets “lucky” on their first turn, it just adds a “sweet bonus” for Sealion.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Everyone whines about Tech here and there.  I have a new approach, learned from my days of custom gaming.

RESEARCH FACILITIES

*Buy a Reasearch Facility piece for $15.   For each Facility, at the END of your turn AFTER placement, you get to roll a Tech die.

If you LOSE a research facility, The facility is destroyed, and the conquerer can choose to take a tech from you, if you have one they don’t already have.  If no Tech is available to steal, the conqueror can make a tech roll at the end of the conquering turn, as the research facility is removed.

Each nation starts with a facility in their capital.  Including France, excluding China.  U.K. Calcutta DOES NOT get one.

Everyone now gets a decent chance at research.

Optional
    At the start of the game, BEFORE ANY DICE are rolled, every gets one free roll at research.

• One could also PAY an 8 IPC sum to the bank to “keep” a conquered facility.

OTHER
    We used to play with economic influx rules, where buying Factories would give you bonuses per nation.  For Example

For each complex Russia Had they were + 1 inf
    For each complex Japan had they were + 3 IPC’s
    for each complex Germany had (20 IPC’s) they recieved 1 sub OR 1 armor.

Now nation specific rules are too complex,  but the rule of +3 IPC’s for every minor factory…  not so bad.  This should be tried out.

I think you have got something there Gar. We will workon this in our next house rules game monday.

• The only problem I see is how to represent them. What peices are u guys using?

• '10

@Pvt.Ryan:

The only problem I see is how to represent them. What peices are u guys using?

If you do not have any plastic pieces then use some Monopoly hotels or houses until something better can be found.

• Good idea  :-D

That or put a nickel on the board.

nothing says research like 5 cents!

• INDEED! But im using $100 bills  :-D

• '10

@Gargantua:

I dont have enough nickels. How about using pennies? Just my 2 cents worth.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Gargantua:

I dont have enough nickels. How about using pennies? Just my 2 cents worth.

No thats ur 1 cent worth Fish.

• What about purchasing additional rolls for research facilities?  Maybe it could be done in a way similar to purchasing tech tokens?  Or maybe the amount of victory cities could be tied to the amount of researchers in the facility and controlling more vc’s allows you more rolls per functional research facility?  Just some ideas.  I’ve been working on some good house rules for tech since 1940 came out and I really like this idea of research working through a facility.  Thanks Gargantua.

• Dadler- what about major and minor research facilities? A Minor could give 1 free tech roll/turn while majors could give 2 or 3. You could alos have rules for strategic bombings of these facilities.

• OR, you can keep the AA50 style (like we do) and use the research facilities to give you a -1 for one dice (rolled separately)… so like, breakthrough on a 5. When captured, opponent captures a scientist. When bombed to full damage in a single SBR (complete annihilation), or a 1 is rolled (lucky shot), loose one scientist. Scientists still cost 5 IPCs. Still roll amount of dice equal to amount of scientists, keeping dice enhanced by facilities separate from dice that are not.

• @Dijitz:

OR, you can keep the AA50 style (like we do) and use the research facilities to give you a -1 for one dice (rolled separately)… so like, breakthrough on a 5. When captured, opponent captures a scientist. When bombed to full damage in a single SBR (complete annihilation), or a 1 is rolled (lucky shot), loose one scientist. Scientists still cost 5 IPCs. Still roll amount of dice equal to amount of scientists, keeping dice enhanced by facilities separate from dice that are not.

so a scientist is the equivalent of a tech token?  are research facilities necessary for tech or do they simply give a bonus?  i dont understand what you’re referencing but it sounds interesting.

Hmm I like all the ideas and enthusiasm.

Remember the purpose is to keep things simple.  Anyone playtested this yet? and how well has it worked?

I don’t mind the idea of the extra scientists, but it negates the purpose then of building more then one facility, so I wouldn’t use it.

For that matter though if you wanted to get extra technical, you could also make spy pieces to try to steal technology, or assassins - sabotuers to kill reasearchers and facilities.  Whole different game at that point though.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I sort of like that hte complexes give you restoration cash.

Minor IC - 2 IPC a round, can be captured.  The idea isn’t to replace the build cost, but to defray the cost.  The premise is that it is making pots and pans as well as munitions - right?  Selling that for cash sort of like warbonds technology.

Major IC - 4 IPC a round, can be captured but is replaced with a minor IC.  Same idea and premise.

Research Facility is kind of wierd.  Wouldn’t tech tokens be a better idea, and one people are already familiar with from Anniversary?  Maybe make it so all the scientists are captured if you lose your capitol (your tokens are handed over to the nation that took your capitol, along with your treasury.)?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m