• @jim010:

I would understand that if there was enough time to complete games to give feedback.  A chance to find the best strategies and then see if there are counters.  At this rate, we will end up with another unbalanced game.

I went out to Dayton a week and a half ago, played a game of the (then) Alpha+1.0 with my drinking amigo Tim. The game took us some 20 hours to finish (lots and lots of beer drinking - Axis win), and when I got back home in Columbus, I looked online and the Alpha+1.0 set up had changed already!

I’ve been trying to keep up with things on the Harris site, but man, things are changing faster than I can keep up with.

We’re just kinda hangong back now, waiting to see if the Alpha+1.0 “express” thing finally comes rolling to a stop sometime soon.  :-D

For the record, we like the Alpha + 1.0 better than the OOB version, by far.

Good Luck on the revision work Larry! :-)

• @jim010:

We’re just kinda hangong back now, waiting to see if the Alpha+1.0 “express” thing finally comes rolling to a stop sometime soon.  :-D

For the record, we like the Alpha + 1.0 better than the OOB version, by far.

Good Luck on the revision work Larry! :-)

Yep, I like this set up more than oob. So far Allies are 1-1 in our games. Sea-lion was a success in one game and in the other Germany put factories in Romania and Norway, which worked great for a while, before the U.S. came through the back door via Normandy Invasion.

• '10

In Alpha+1 is there supposed to be an air base in northern Italy or not? I am still confused. If no air base then it appears that the Italian fleet is in deep trouble.

• @Fishmoto37:

In Alpha+1 is there supposed to be an air base or not? I am still confused. If no air base then it appears that the Italian fleet is in deep trouble.

There’s one in South Italy

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

In Alpha+1 is there supposed to be an air base or not? I am still confused. If no air base then it appears that the Italian fleet is in deep trouble.

If no air base in Northern Italy then Germany will be forced to attack the U.K. ships in 110 with lots of air power in an attempt to draw the two fighters out of London and kill them to give the Italian fleet a chance.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

If no air base in Northern Italy then Germany will be forced to attack the U.K. ships in 110 with lots of air power in an attempt to draw the two fighters out of London and kill them to give the Italian fleet a chance.

Or it can threaten Sealion to discourage the UK from using those planes.

• Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

Sea lion looks like a waste of German resources that will be needed for Barbarossa.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

Sending two Germ. fighters to southern Italy looks like it may be a dad burned good idea. I will have to study that move.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

Sea lion looks like a waste of German resources that will be needed for Barbarossa.

It doesn’t have to go through the threat.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

It doesn’t have to go through the threat.

Spending IPCs on transports to threaten Sea lion is a waste of precious resources. The Axis key to winning this game is the same as it always has been. Take out Russia!

• @gamerman01:

OOB Malta had NOTHING on it!  Finally people talk sense into him.  I’m frustrated with Larry right now.

Not so fast. Are you sure that Larry still has 100% control over the design? WotC must have a little blame to share here, even if it’s pushing the product out the door before it’s ready.

The game is only in its fourth month of release, patience… it’s the most ambitious A&A release to date and it’s completely different than classic or even the original Europe+Pacific since that dynamic changes when you combine the boards, also consider there’s new playables, PRs… NOs… Video games also have balance issues that are patched post-release.

• I think the easiest thing to say is, “If you think you can do a better job, be my guest!” I get tired of seeing people put down the game, if you are so smart, build one yourself you jack-wagons!

People need to relax and help the process. Suggest ideas, the more we can get to Larry the easier it will make his job.

• '10

@maverick_76:

I think the easiest thing to say is, “If you think you can do a better job, be my guest!” I get tired of seeing people put down the game, if you are so smart, build one yourself you jack-wagons!

People need to relax and help the process. Suggest ideas, the more we can get to Larry the easier it will make his job.

I agree. That is why I posted an alternate income schedule for the U.S. under house rules. I will play test it in our session tomorrow.

• When you guys are FINALLY done tweaking the game so your favorite side can win please let the rest of us know. I would just like to play the game, but everybody and their mother seems to think one setup is better and more balanced than the other. If they don’t win using the setup then they say they would using the NEW one. So we have evolved from the global with Larry Harris alpha setup to the global Larry Harris alpha plus setup to now the Larry Harris alpha plus 1 setup. I get confused when I play a game and people say “this is the setup as of Oct whatever… No this is the setup as of Dec whatever… no you obviously don’t read the boards this is the new Larry approved version…”

• Then just play OOB - it’s a really good game.

Larry has decided to make a revised version of the game together with the fans. Alpha is a term from software, meaning an early development version. Presumably, when it seems to be working well, there will be a Beta to get more people playing and iron out the last issues, and then a final revised version.

• Does anyone else feel that Japan should get a few of its air units back that have been removed? They feel too weak.

I am curious if anyone else feels the same.

• @Stockus13:

Does anyone else feel that Japan should get a few of its air units back that have been removed? They feel too weak.

I am curious if anyone else feels the same.

I agree.  Too weak now.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

Calvin, I sent two German fighters to southern Italy on non-combat move and sunk the U.K. cruiser with two subs. With three fighters to scramble it prevented the U.K. attack on the Italian fleet. We finished six rounds in our session today. That was a great idea.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Calvin, I sent two German fighters to southern Italy on non-combat move and sunk the U.K. cruiser with two subs. With three fighters to scramble it prevented the U.K. attack on the Italian fleet. We finished six rounds in our session today. That was a great idea.

Thank you. It really irks me when people complain that they can’t do anything to save the Italian fleet when what they want is to be able to kill the UK Navy, threaten Sealion, and save the Italian fleet all at once.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m