• '16

Hi

I’m comimg from AA50, new to AAP40.

So now that minor & major ICs, naval & air bases have their built-in AAs, what is the practical use for AA pieces ?
    It seems to me like inheritance from past games …

Don’t know if this topic has been discussed before, but with 36+ pages of topics in AAP40, it is quite difficult to find out

Greetings

• @warrafael:

Hi

I’m comimg from AA50, new to AAP40.

So now that minor & major ICs, naval & air bases have their built-in AAs, what is the practical use for AA pieces ?
    It seems to me like inheritance from past games …

Don’t know if this topic has been discussed before, but with 36+ pages of topics in AAP40, it is quite difficult to find out

Greetings

To protect armies/territories from attacks that include enemy planes. The AAs included with the ICs/bases only roll during strat bombing.

• I find that AA guns are worth buying than previous versions. before it was rare if anyone bought an AA gun, seeing as how (in my games) they just sat there with their IC counterparts. In AAP40 AA guns can save China! As the british player I always move an AA gun to Yunnan.

• @molinar13:

I find that AA guns are worth buying than previous versions. before it was rare if anyone bought an AA gun, seeing as how (in my games) they just sat there with their IC counterparts. In AAP40 AA guns can save China! As the british player I always move an AA gun to Yunnan.

I always use AA’s for India forces too. Useful since the sky is black with japanese planes!

• '16

@molinar13:

I find that AA guns are worth buying than previous versions. before it was rare if anyone bought an AA gun, seeing as how (in my games) they just sat there with their IC counterparts. In AAP40 AA guns can save China! As the british player I always move an AA gun to Yunnan.

yes, good idea. This could be an argument for reusing AA deployed at startup.
    But I’m not so convinced to purchase new AAs. You can also buy a tank for 6 IPCs, which defends better and it is more versatile.

Thanks for the replies, anyway !

• @warrafael:

@molinar13:

yes, good idea. This could be an argument for reusing AA deployed at startup.
    But I’m not so convinced to purchase new AAs. You can also buy a tank for 6 IPCs, which defends better and it is more versatile.

Thanks for the replies, anyway !

Tanks don’t necessarily defend better; if there are tens of planes, AA is better. If the attacker has a stack of inf and 6 planes, AA is better since a tank will probably not kill 3 inf during the battle

• '16

@calvinhobbesliker:

Tanks don’t necessarily defend better; if there are tens of planes, AA is better. If the attacker has a stack of inf and 6 planes, AA is better since a tank will probably not kill 3 inf during the battle

ok, got the point.

If we use probabilities, a tank has 50% of eliminating a unit (not neccesaringly a plane), 0% for two. while an AA has at least 16% of eliminating a single plane, probabilities increasing as the number of planes grow (sorry, I just can’t do the math  :-D ) and fires first.

Although this 16% seems still pretty low, it is perhaps more interesting for me to know that expererienced players find them useful anyway.

Thanks, once more  :-D

• @warrafael:

@calvinhobbesliker:

ok, got the point.

If we use probabilities, a tank has 50% of eliminating a unit (not neccesaringly a plane), 0% for two. while an AA has at least 16% of eliminating a single plane, probabilities increasing as the number of planes grow (sorry, I just can’t do the math  :-D ) and fires first.

Although this 16% seems still pretty low, it is perhaps more interesting for me to know that expererienced players find them useful anyway.

Thanks, once more  :-D

I don’t know about percentages, but keep in mind that AA’s fire before the actual combat, so you can eliminate one or more enemy units before they could even fight. (as calvinhobbesliker indicated:) 10 planes attack, you get to throw 10 dice, with a single unit. All this for a tiny 6IPC!

• There are more areas of Stacked inf. in Global.  If you are looking at 10 or more defending Inf, then the attacker will likely have to bring a lot of air power. 
    AA guns will pay off in these situations.  They only roll once per aircraft before combat, but one aa gun may roll more than other units prior to combat than other units during the rounds  of the battle.

• Do AA guns fire on each wave of the fighter/bomber’s attack or only on the 1st wave?

Does the defender pick which of the type of aircraft is downed for each hit or does the attacker?

• Official Q&A

AA guns fire only once per battle, before the first combat round.  Each type of air unit is rolled for separately.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

AA Guns are a strategic deterent.

They make your opponent think twice before attacking.

And for any of you who’ve played the game long enough… you’ve been burned by AA Fire.

• Japan starts out with 20 planes.  I’d say that alone makes AA guns worth it.  If Japan attacks a land territory with even 3 planes, you have a decent chance of shooting down at least one before the battle even starts, which is definitely with 5 IPCs.

This is a bit unrelated, since it’s Europe, but in my last game I built an AA gun in Ukraine and it destroyed 3 German fighters and a tac bomber.  Eliminating 41 IPCs worth of enemy units for 5 IPCs is definitely worth it, even if that is pretty lucky.

• As somebody who lost 4 out of 5 planes to an AA gun - I fear AA guns and will possible utilize them more in the future somehow.

• AA guns have never been as usefull as in AAP40!

I would say that their main advantage is that they prevent the so called “Japanese Airforce Overkill Strategy”, which would consist in using only 2-3 barges and a sh*t load of planes to attack steadily defended territories, hoping to destroy the enemy resistance in one turn and to suffer few enough casualties to only have to eliminate insignificant ground troops.

With AA guns, the Japanese player fears loosing too many planes, in the overkill, and therefore will send fewer, giving the defender a chance to survive a couple rounds, hence having a chance at inflicting enough casualties forcing the attacker to have to eliminate planes to take the territory.

• I would like to talk to you, to me is what to tell.

• TripleA

Unless I’m mistaken, don’t AA-guns in 1940 only fire at a max of 3 enemy planes?

• @mastermind93:

Unless I’m mistaken, don’t AA-guns in 1940 only fire at a max of 3 enemy planes?

The number of AA shots is either 3x the number of AA,or the number of planes,whichever is the lesser. Right Krieg?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m