• Has anyone been placing magnets on CV’s.  Any suggestions?

I could not take it anymore with the large Tac.Bombers.  Here is my first attempt.
    magnets_1.JPG
    magnets_2.JPG

• Absolute genius!
    nuff said. :-)

• LOL. How long did that take you?

• I got 40 magnets at Hobbytown for $6.

I took me a few minutes to cut some small locking washers up for the metal.  I tested the strength by placing tape over the bottom to hold the metal in place before final superglue.

Hardest part are the CV’s that are not open on the bottom  (drill).  (Total time about 15 min for the two sets so far).

I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas for the CV’s that must be cut open on the bottom of the hull.

• Brilliant idea!

Maybe this can be useful for you?

Magnetic adhesive tape:
    http://www.custom-magnets.com/magnetic_tape.htm

or here, but it is in dutch (but looks more like “real” scotch tape):
    http://www.prosite.be/gadgets/2009/05/magnetische-plakband.asp

Don’t know about ther thickness of it, or the strength, but it might be a way.

• ever try an AA game with the board on the wall, then use magnets on all units?  Saves space.

• @AA_fourlife:

ever try an AA game with the board on the wall, then use magnets on all units?  Saves space.

Have you done this? People have been suggesting this to me for like 20 yrs and i would just laugh! tell me you really did this.

• @lnmajor:

@AA_fourlife:

ever try an AA game with the board on the wall, then use magnets on all units?  Saves space.

Have you done this? People have been suggesting this to me for like 20 yrs and i would just laugh! tell me you really did this.

I have for the navy ships, but it was not a game, i placed based on navy press releases

• That would save space for sure. this is actually important becouse of the map size of AAG40 and the time it takes to play. I have a dedicated room in my house i can set up my AA game and leave it standing for as long as a choose. not everyone has that luxuary. if your garage aint heated and air conditioned that could suck too.

• I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas for the CV’s that must be cut open on the bottom of the hull.

use small metal circles and paint them and glue them on top?

A metal strip on the bottom?

• Customizer

@jeffdestroyer:

I got 40 magnets at Hobbytown for $6.

Are you talking about Hobbytown USA in Wichita, KS?  I get a lot of my model paints there.  I really like this idea.  Plus those little round magnets would still allow the planes to sit flat on the board just on sort of a small pedastal.

• Customizer

@Imperious:

I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas for the CV’s that must be cut open on the bottom of the hull.

use small metal circles and paint them and glue them on top?

A metal strip on the bottom?

Hey IL, that idea of a metal strip on the bottom sounds terrific.  Do you think the little magnets on the planes would be strong enough to be attracted to the metal strip through the plastic body of the ship?  I guess another idea would be a narrow metal strip on the flight deck.  We could pretend they were like British carriers with the armored flight decks.

• @knp7765:

@jeffdestroyer:

I got 40 magnets at Hobbytown for $6.

Are you talking about Hobbytown USA in Wichita, KS?  I get a lot of my model paints there.  I really like this idea.  Plus those little round magnets would still allow the planes to sit flat on the board just on sort of a small pedastal.

Hobbytown is a national chain store.  They have an assortment of small magnets.  I might get a slightly thicker magnet for some of the Tact. bombers that have landing gear

• Just use the flexible magnets you get from businesses to put on your fridge. (I think I used a magnet from a hairdressing salon that my wife went to once.)

Can be cut into tiny squares with scissors. Just use a little epoxy to glue the printed side to the A&A piece. The dark sides attract each other.

• For the Japanese I cut the landing gear off half of my Vals. That was the worst one for staying on the ship. The others are difficult though.

• @trackmagic:

For the Japanese I cut the landing gear off half of my Vals. That was the worst one for staying on the ship. The others are difficult though.

Actually, the end of the carrier is about the same size as the distance between thouse extrusions, so I have the tac straddle the carrier and the bumps keep it from falling off the side

• i have magnets that go on the backs of business cards. it is a thin card sized magnet with an adhesive backside. u dont need glue or metal pieces. i cut small pieces for both, the CV and planes. they work great. u can purchase them from printing shops or office supply shops. it took me a few hours to do all my pieces from global.

• I’ve been looking at this sort of thing for a while, but mostly the wall idea.
    The problems I ran into were the obvious ones.

Subs, where do you glue the magnet?  :)
    And you’d need enough models as chip stacking wouldn’t work unless your magnets were super super strong.

• @valthonis:

I’ve been looking at this sort of thing for a while, but mostly the wall idea.
    The problems I ran into were the obvious ones.

Subs, where do you glue the magnet?  :)
    And you’d need enough models as chip stacking wouldn’t work unless your magnets were super super strong.

iron chips !

• Customizer

I just tried out an experiment.  I got those little round magnets from Hobbytown USA for the planes.  Next was how to fix the carriers.

First I tried putting small magnet strips on the bottom of the carrier.  That didn’t work so well because the magnets on the planes kept scooting over the side.  I guess the polarity was wrong.

Next, I took a thin sheet, 12"x24", and cut into strips 1/8" wide and about 2" long.  I tried putting the strip on the flight deck and on the bottom of the ship.  The magnets really hold strong to the new metal flight deck.  They also hold pretty well with the metal strip on the bottom, although the attraction is not as strong since it has to go through the body of the ship itself.  Since both ways seem to work well, I guess it would be a question of aesthetics or if you really wanted a good strong hold for your planes.  With the metal on top, your planes will NOT move.  With it on bottom, they might scoot a little if really jarred, and possibly rotate a bit, but they still seem to hold pretty well.
    The hardest part is cutting the sheet metal.  When you cut sheet metal in such narrow strips (1/8 inch) it tends to kind of curl up so you have to straighten it back out.  Of course, that’s not too hard once you cut it into 2 inch lengths.  Once you have the metal straightened out, simply use a little super glue and put it on the ship, whichever side you want.  It’s a lot of work but works great.

Magnets 1sm.JPG
    Magnets 2sm.JPG
    Magnets 3sm.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m