• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

So… how do people feel about this film? I am curious.

• @LHoffman:

So… how do people feel about this film? I am curious.

I didn’t see it, but I heard some extreme right-wingers hated it since it was anti-imperialist and advocated environmental conservation

@calvinhobbesliker:

I didn’t see it, but I heard some extreme right-wingers hated it since it was anti-imperialist and advocated environmental conservation

The movie was very overt in its political agenda, so I wouldn’t say you had to be an “extreme” right-identifier to not like what it presented allegorically.

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

The movie was very overt in its political agenda, so I wouldn’t say you had to be an “extreme” right-identifier to not like what it presented allegorically.

Well, I guess in the US you’d be right. In the UK, I think the conservatives are more to the center(for example, the Conservative party wants to expand the NHS)

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

Well, I guess in the US you’d be right. In the UK, I think the conservatives are more to the center(for example, the Conservative party wants to expand the NHS)

NHS? … as in National Health Care System?

Yeah, I do believe most European “conservatives” are much more progressive than their American counterparts.

And since I don’t want IL to shoot me…  Back to the movie

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

NHS? … as in National Health Care System?

Yeah, I do believe most European “conservatives” are much more progressive than their American counterparts.

And since I don’t want IL to shoot me…  Back to the movie

I think it stands for National Health Service

• Isnt it the same story as that disney cartoon Pocahontas.

I like 3D, but Avatar has the same plot and stupid dialogue as alot of other hollywood moives nothing particularly cool or intersting about the battle scenes either.

I have never heard anyone accauly say why they liked it except its in 3D or its “revolutionary”.

• I enjoyed it. It is a fairly standard story but I rather like that particular story and it was told very well. I like stories where the ‘good guys’ win. I found myself very immersed and never questioned whether the Na’vii were ‘real’ and I was rooting for them out loud by the end. Cameron certainly understands the grammar of cinema.

It is a wonderful technical achievement even only seeing it 2D but I’d hardly say revolutionary. Although my GF said, “This must have been what it was like seeing Star Wars in 1977.”

It is a solid film by any objective cinematic standard.

• What I did not understand about the movie is that it took place in the future right? Humans can now travel long distances in space, but when it come to war apparently they still have to bomb a target like they did in world war II!!! fly over the target and release the load!! seriously?!?! your in the future, now-a-days you can destroy a target from hundreds of miles away…anyways aside from that i enjoyed the movie.

• For those who have not seen the movie I am referring to the battle seen at the end of the movie.

• '10

@Emperor_Taiki:

Isnt it the same story as that disney cartoon Pocahontas.

I like 3D, but Avatar has the same plot and stupid dialogue as alot of other hollywood moives nothing particularly cool or intersting about the battle scenes either.

I have never heard anyone accauly say why they liked it except its in 3D or its “revolutionary”.

This movie had a lot of great special effects and the color photography was great. But the story line reminded me of the movie DANCES WITH WOLVES where they made the army look like a bunch of dolts. In Avatar it was the Marines that looked like dolts or maybe it was former Marines that were now merceneries I am not sure which.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Emperor_Taiki:

This movie had a lot of great special effects and the color photography was great. But the story line reminded me of the movie DANCES WITH WOLVES where they made the army look like a bunch of dolts. In Avatar it was the Marines that looked like dolts or maybe it was former Marines that were now merceneries I am not sure which.

So they didn’t call it Dances With Smurfs for nothing :)

• Decent movie. Special effects do little for me these days. I thought the political agenda of the movie wasn’t drowning, like Day After Tomorrow.

I was glad I saw the film in theater.

• @ABWorsham:

Decent movie. Special effects do little for me these days. I thought the political agenda of the movie wasn’t drowning, like Day After Tomorrow.

Day After Tomorrow can go both ways. It is critical of climate change, but it gives the impression that the scientists who warn us of global warming are greatly exaggerating

• @Emperor_Taiki:

I like Avatar.

But about this                                    ^
                                                          l

Someone once told me that you can only find kids movies that are in 3D (6-10)

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@ABWorsham:

Decent movie. Special effects do little for me these days. I thought the political agenda of the movie wasn’t drowning, like Day After Tomorrow.

Day After Tomorrow can go both ways. It is critical of climate change, but it gives the impression that the scientists who warn us of global warming are greatly exaggerating

:roll: Sigh.

For those interested.

And just in case.

I found myself questioning what was so cool about the movie after I saw it. Unfortunately (for those who like it) I don’t have many positive comments about Avatar.

The storyline was unimaginative. The effects were nice, but having almost an entire movie of them makes it seem a little hollow. I found the ‘moral of the story’ to be inescapable and distracting. Many of the characters were very one dimensional and the storyline was likewise predictable.

The Art Department was creative and thus movie was visually well done… other than that, I do not see this film warranting $1 billion plus in sales. The movie doesn’t lend itself to being a masterpiece of cinema… or even a good film. Sorry James Cameron.

• Someone mentioned that no one could say what they liked about it beyond the cool effects but I’ve found that everyone who didn’t like it mentions not liking the ‘moral of the story’ component of the film.

At least with Avatar unlike a lot of things I’ve seen lately I’m pretty sure those who have the opposite take on it than I do saw the same film I did unlike STINO and Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood.

I find Metacritic a valuable site.

@frimmel:

Someone mentioned that no one could say what they liked about it beyond the cool effects but I’ve found that everyone who didn’t like it mentions not liking the ‘moral of the story’ component of the film.

Yes, I found the “moral” to be distracting as I said… whatever message Cameron was trying to send simply brought me back to reality. It didn’t keep me on Pandora. That was not the only thing I didn’t like, but it certainly wasn’t the smallest of its problems.

@frimmel:

At least with Avatar unlike a lot of things I’ve seen lately I’m pretty sure those who have the opposite take on it than I do saw the same film I did unlike STINO and Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood.

Whate exactly did you mean by this? I have seen Robin Hood also, and I am just wondering if you can clarify your statement so I can give you my take.

• I have been doubting that objective criteria of artistic quality are known to people these days. I have seen a bunch of reviews even from critics I am familiar with (i.e. deem ‘fair’ even when I disagree) that just don’t bear any resemblance to the film I saw or come across as just being derogatory for the sake of being derogatory.

I have seen stuff that has been given a pass (STINO) that was not extended to far less egregious errors in other films. Transformers for instance was seriously trashed but the script of that mess is tight compared to JJ Trek and yet to say this aloud is like speaking another language.

With Robin Hood it seemed to me critics ran it down mostly because it wasn’t Erroll Flynn and not on any particular lack of merit. I didn’t see most of the reviews as accurate or fair. I have seen a lot of this lately, judgment of a film passed on what was expected or desired. What I’m getting at here is whether or not a person ‘likes’ the film or gets what they want out of it has been having far too much of an impact on whether it is deemed ‘good.’ “I didn’t like it” =/= “It was a terrible movie.”

To bring this back to Avatar and your claim that it wasn’t even good, I suggest that the film made you think and you didn’t want to do that and so the film is ‘bad.’ Given some of your other comments on the board I am not surprised that you didn’t care for the film and your opinion is in line with others who didn’t like it and share some of your opinions. I understand your criticism and it would seem ‘you watched the same movie I did.’

Another example would be Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull which essentially committed the ‘crime’ of not being Raiders of The Lost Ark. The critics seem to feel very positive about it but the users are nearly split. I think the attitude of movie goers (what I like is good, what I don’t like is not) has been seeping into critics and movie goers have been making less and less of an effort to be objective.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m