Heavy Bombers - FAQ change and other options

• Yep  :-D
    Now anyone can decide what is too strong

• Interesting ideas - so many choices!  :-o

• @Lema099:

Interesting ideas - so many choices!  :-o

:-) Yeah, it’s almost a relief sometimes to play in the league where you don’t have any choices.

When not in league, I’m now going to decide between 2@3 and 1@3, 1@4.

I played 2@4 (2 hits possible) for quite awhile, and it’s a bit too strong especially for killing fleets.

Best of 2 dice (current FAQ) and max 6 damage on SBR is too weak, I think.

• @Lema099:

Interesting ideas - so many choices!  :-o

Hehe - we could add more.  How about 1@4 and 1@2?

At least 1 hit = 77.8%
    2 hits = 22.2%

Compare this to 2@3.  Slightly better chance of getting a hit, but slightly less chance of 2 hits.

Also, I remember seeing on this site that some folks play 1@6

So, at least 1 hit = 100%
    2 hits = never

Again, a little better than best of 2 dice @ 4, but no chance of double hit.

• I really prefer the 2 hit HBs. Sure they can do some damage but they have no staying power in combat. Myself I was never worried about them if my opponent got them.

• @a44bigdog:

I really prefer the 2 hit HBs. Sure they can do some damage but they have no staying power in combat. Myself I was never worried about them if my opponent got them.

They are real hard on fleets, though.  Especially the long range variety.

• @a44bigdog:

I really prefer the 2 hit HBs. Sure they can do some damage but they have no staying power in combat. Myself I was never worried about them if my opponent got them.

What’s staying power  :?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@a44bigdog:

What’s staying power  :?

They still go down with 1 hit.  So if you attack like 4 infantry with 2 heavies and 1 infantry, you are quite likely to lose a heavy or two.

Also, when you get 2 hit heavies, the tendency is to use them for more things - strat bomb more often, raid fleets and stray tanks, infantry, fighters, bombers, whatever, more often - results in losing them quicker.

If this is not what you meant, bigdog, please let us know because I’d be curious to know what you meant, if not this.

• That is exactly what I meant, and it is especially true in Naval attacks since there may not be anything available for “fodder”.

4 of the 2 dice Heavy bombers can yield 8 hits, but they better get the job done quick, 2 hits and that 8 hits becomes 4, with 3 it is down to just 2 for follow on rounds. So while yes they can deal some initial heavy damage to a fleet, they have no staying power for sustained combat and some proper fodder will see them disposed of.

• @a44bigdog:

That is exactly what I meant, and it is especially true in Naval attacks since there may not be anything available for “fodder”.

4 of the 2 dice Heavy bombers can yield 8 hits, but they better get the job done quick, 2 hits and that 8 hits becomes 4, with 3 it is down to just 2 for follow on rounds. So while yes they can deal some initial heavy damage to a fleet, they have no staying power for sustained combat and some proper fodder will see them disposed of.

Great point, and thanks for confirming.  I didn’t want to speak for you, but was pretty sure that’s what you meant, and I can’t resist answering a question if I think I know the answer.  :-P

• I would stick with 2 dice (or maybe 2@3). This pick best is just ridiculous. Seriously, the more and more errata (and “FAQ” - lol) they add, the worse the game becomes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m