Any good American Civil War games out there?

• Those are your choices for non hex games.

• Wow, thank you so much Brain Damaged, those all look very interesting. I’ve not heard of any of them  :-(. I will have to investigate further  :-), (thank you very much.)

Have you tried any of these games?

I must admit that I’m a little discouraged about BATTLE CRY as it could be easily OVER within half an hour. I like gaming, but don’t want the fun to end within an hour. Heck, this war lasted almost as long as either World Wars, and it happened right here in the States, which included many, many different heritages and tactics. I’m a big CW buff and WWII comes second on my list of necessary wars. Maybe it’s because the ACW was so complex like; territories, tactics, technology, philosophical viewpoints, and weaponry that make this a tough topic to nail? I see something in A&A that could carry over to pre-19th century innovation.

Here is a sample of some of my 1:6 figures that commemorate the ACW

my collection has grown so much since these pics, so please excuse.

• You probably didn’t mean this, but I loved this game.  :mrgreen:

• The American Civil War by Eagle Games is also a great game ( along with its cousin Napoleon in Europe).
    Its more along the lines of axis and allies compared to BattleCry, although it is much more detailed than A&A and has many political and diplomatic rules.

But good luck finding a copy. Eagle Games said it was going to make ACW 2 for 2006, but then they stopped making big box war and empire games entirely.

• @Brain:

There was Milton Bradley game called Civil War:

Name was later changed to Battle Cry, not to be confused with the more modern Avalon Hill version.

It used plastic pieces:

how old is the original one.

• @Imperious:

Yikes. Was it only reprinted once?

• I have 3 copies. One of them is as i recall 1970 with a slightly different box cover, with the other 2 1962. I have played this game since the mid 1970’s.

I even made some modified rules…

infantry hits on 1
    cavalry hits on 2 or less
    Artillery hits on 3 or less

Only 3 rounds of combat possible and you only had to be adjacent ( no long lines of pieces with the one that jumps over the ones you captured)

WE also made sea zones and added ships

• @Jermofoot:

You probably didn’t mean this, but I loved this game.  :mrgreen:

Awesome!!!

• '10

AH will be releasing BattleCry in November 2011 according to their 2011 catalog

• Very cool. I will keep a sharp eye out for it.

Would an American Civil War themed game based off of A&A’s system work?  I think it could. An USA map with all the major cities of the time, with their rivers and railways could really lend themselves to creating some interesting conflicts. Ironclads would be a nice addition. Everything in the way A&A plays could carry over with almost all the same pieces except air, unless lookout balloons could work.(?)

General - Key player (like conquest of Empires?)
    Infantry - Infantry
    Artillery - Cannon/Parrot gun
    Tank    -  Cavalry
    siege weapons & mortars
    Battleship - Ironclad
    Transports -
    gunboats
    mines
    wagons
    surgical hospitals or ambulance corps?  :-)

Maybe campaign oriented? Viksburg would be a great start!  :-D

• How to simulate the South giving away their plans to the North in a box of cigars?

• '10

Would an American Civil War themed game based off of A&A’s system work?

Grand Army of The Republic is based on AA rules.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8753/grand-army-of-the-republic

• Customizer

Eagle Games American Civil war is great.  Love playing it (and their Napoleon in Europe)  You just have to fix the atomic cavalry, or the South just wins all the time.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

How to simulate the South giving away their plans to the North in a box of cigars?

Order 191!

I just got back from Antietam, Gettysburg, Harper’s Ferry, Manassas, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spotslyvania, and Jackson’s Shrine.

This American War needs some serious attention. Make it happen Larry.

• Anyone play the newly released Battle Cry? It appears to have 16 new campaigns added. It received great reviews. I ordered a copy.

• Customizer

Anniversary Battle Cry on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/864652/battle-cry

Isn’t the infantry officer a new piece?

Edit: My mistake, it’s an artillery observer.

New campaigns listed on the box back.

• Sounds great. I ordered two copies. One from a local games store for $60. and one from Amazon @$50. w/free shipping. :)

• No one has heard of AGEod’s American Civil War computer game?

My son just purchased it for $10 with Christmas Money.  He thought it would be an action game but it is not.  It is very detailed though and I’m still trying to figure out how to play it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m