• Going back to the money, if you can’t borrow $ from other games, I hear poker chips work well. You could also make up a tracking chart (that should have came with the game) to track income, NO’s, tech etc…:-D.

I’m not crazy about using the gray/red unit count chips for damage markers either. Painting them a black (or any other color) is a good idea from Yope.

• @Imperious:

To me Air base just makes no sence in a game like this. Really you can easily fly planes on any flat surface, whereas a naval port is a substantial installation that includes dry docks, fuel depots, etc.

Major naval ports that facilitated and could accommodate military vessels were more specialized, while air bases could be formed ad hoc and improvisation depending on the military situation.

I think they just added them because it fitted into the Land ( factory), Sea ( port), and Air ( airport) motif of game design. The design didn’t seem complete without one new installation for each category. But this was a mistake.  It is the same type of thinking that produces 5 IPC for NO’s, or when people design costs and use numbers like 5,10,15 ( nice looking but totally inadequate in terms of game play). It is almost like numbers like 2,3,4,6,7,8,9 don’t exist.

Anyway this air base thing is just another ‘fit’ to the design. But it really adds nothing. If anything it just adds more complexity and not more ‘fun factor’

Also, my naval ports protect ships from naval attacks. This is the key use that they serve as well as construction and repair. But the design neglects to address this substantial concern, and rather invents this concept that ships move faster when they leave the port.

Also, in case many don’t already know this: The entire concept of Major and Minor factories in AAP40 are nearly the same as World War Two: The game ( major builds 10, minor builds 3, costs similar too) The only difference is in the WW2 game, the minor can’t build battleships, bombers, and carriers nor can they be bombed.

But islands and China don’t necessarily have flat land. Airbases provide hangars, ammunition, and fuel, which is why air units can go farther in a turn

• Great idea using mini poker chips … but just looking at getting a pack of 50 for myself I am finding that $1.25-$1.99 suddenly jumps to $25 with shipping to Canada.  OUCH!

Ebay is the way to go on that one I think.

• '10

are either of the two links you provided comparable to AA chip size?

• @johnnymarr:

are either of the two links you provided comparable to AA chip size?

They should be almost exactly the same size (if not 100% exact).

• @Yoper:

I should talk FMG into carrying these kinds of basic game parts.  That would help you out.

There was a thread for counters/chips at one point by FMG.  I even contributed some artwork to it.  No idea what’s going on with that though.  I imagine it’s lost under the mountain of Combat Units logistics.

• The AA50 game we just finished the US bombed the hell out of Germany. We used the unit counter chips (red-5, gray-1) to show damage. It worded ok. Even if there is a mix-up and chips go flying (which happened) you tend to remember how many damage there was. What seems to get mixed up is how many tanks vs inf you had. Even if you had different colors to show damage (good idea), you might need two damage colors to show increments, other wise you could have towers in some cases. For at least 2-3 rounds Germany was damaged into double digits.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m