Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• Jeremy/FMG has stated (on numerous occasions) that the FMG pieces will indeed match the FMG Combat Dice, and not the most recent WoTC OOB colours. Most of the FMG are quite close to the OOB WoTC colours, but they do vary to different degrees - for example, the WoTC Soviet OOB pieces are various shades of reddish-brown in different A&A variants, but the FMG Soviet Dice are (and the FMG Soviet pieces will be) solid red.

The one exception to this will be the German set, which will be produced in both steel gray and black, due to an earlier controversy (of which I am sure everyone here is aware).

EDIT - I will post regarding the ‘Halftrack vs Armoured Car as Mechanized Infantry debate’ later - I will say that the new FMG Truck and Armoured Car look great though, as do the rest of the FMG pieces so far. 8-)

• The Autoblinda AB 41 is great choice.

• The Autoblinda is a good choice that will give the Italians a very distinct piece in their theatre of war considering the Germans will have halftracks running around.

• In relation to the use of armoured cars to represent mechanized infantry divisions, I am in agreement, where such a representation would be historically accurate and representative of the most commonly used support vehicle for such divisions.

In the case of the Italians, I agree that indigenous halftrack production and use was far less extensive than that of armoured cars, and so an armoured car sculpt would be the best representation of this Italian unit. The AB41 is, in my opinion, the best choice for the sculpt as well, given the scale of its production and status as one of the more historically well-known Italian armoured cars.

In the case of the Soviet Union, while FMG indicated that a halftrack would perhaps be the best sculpt to represent Soviet mechanized infantry, I would be willing to accept an armoured car for this unit as well.  Soviet armoured car designs were more widely used and effective than Soviet-built halftrack designs, and while the USSR did make extensive use of Lend-Lease US halftracks, I would personally prefer an indigenous Soviet design.  My preference for an armoured car here would be for a BA-64.

I have to disagree with FMG regarding the alleged inappropriateness of a halftrack to represent Japanese mechanized infantry. Development of Japanese halftracks began much earlier in the war than 1945; I believe development and production began in 1940 or 1941. The Type 1 Ho-Ha was in service as early as 1941, although it was later in the war until they were produced and saw action in large numbers. To me, this is the real-life representation/equivalent of a hypothetical ‘Japanese player’ choosing not to produce many mechanized infantry units in favour of other units (such as aircraft and infantry) - the decision of this ‘real life Japanese player’ (for lack of a better term)  not to produce more Ho-Ha’s earlier in the war does not necessarily have to translate into board game play; the board game player may produce more Ho-Ha’s and sent them to the front, and in doing so, alter the historical choices of the ‘real life Japanese player.’ Overall, I do not see the choice of the Type 1 Ho-Ha as an inappropriate choice for Japanese mechanized infantry by FMG, and I shall stick to this choice (although I certainly wouldn’t refuse to buy the set if FMG chose a different sculpt). Finally, no Japanese armoured car design has ever struck me as being particularly inspired or iconic. I suppose FMG could use a tankette, but I personally wouldn’t want to see another tank mold used to represent any nation’s mechanized infantry, even if it was just a tankette (just my subjective opinion though).

For German and the US, I would like to see a halftrack, and I would be fine with replicating the OOB units (the WoTC US and German halftrack sculpts were not particularly detailed, IMO, and I never want to use them again). If FMG really wants to change the German OOB sculpt, than the SD Kfz 250 could substitute for the SD Kfz 251, I guess.

For France, I would choose an armoured car, specifically the P178.

For the UK, I would choose the Universal Bren Carrier.

I don’t care much about China - just reprint an appropriate armoured car from another nation (maybe use the BA-10 for both the USSR and China).

Reprint the UK mold for ANZAC, and maybe Canada.

That’s all for now.

• @Lozmoid:

Would it be the Autoblinda AB43, by any chance?

omg, that looks awesome!!!  great job, FGM!

• Love the Pz III idea.

• For the German tank i’d like the short barreled Panzer IV to use as an early war tank and the Tiger for mid-late war.

The Panzer III was obsolete by 1943, i would rather see a Stug III.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

For the German tank i’d like the short barreled Panzer IV to use as an early war tank and the Tiger for mid-late war.

I agree that the Panzer IV, with the short barrel 75mm, would be the perfect choice for an early/mid war tank. Especially considering the fact that the Pz. IV (in all variants) was the most produced German tank during the war.

• If I remember correctly,the 61 was a copy of the SDKFZ 7.There was an excellent wheeled
    carrier called the S.37 Autoprotteto.It is believed it influenced the postwar Soviet BTR 40.I
    would have liked the P40/Tippo 61 combo,maybe later.I think the AC is the right vehicle for the
    period.The French had several half track designs.The Germans put them to use from Dday on.
    The P178 was a great design,as was the Dutch DAF.

• Dont have time to read the 107 pages……  :cry:

But any estimate when the 1000 pieces  :-o set wil be available? Since the end of 2010 is nearing?

cheers!

• @i:

@Emperor_Taiki:

For the German tank i’d like the short barreled Panzer IV to use as an early war tank and the Tiger for mid-late war.

well the panzer III was the main battle tank for germany between 1940-1942. :-P the panzer ivwas a infantry suport tank.

The panzer IV was intended to be an infantry support tank while the panzer III was suppose to deal with enemy tanks. However in the field their roles were reversed as the panzer III had less armor and a smaller gun. The panzer IV was the backbone of the panzer divisions in the mid and late war, while panzer III porduction halted in 1943 and the remaing were relagated. I would love to have a panzer III model, but the panzer IV was a more important tank. IF FMG dose decides to use the panzer III it should have one of the long 50mm barrels that were so useful in africa.

Also, with a panzer III tank battles on the eastern front are going to look very strange and silly as T-34s and pretty much any other soviet tank would just roll over panzer IIIs.

the stug on the other hand was the most produced german armored vehicle of the war, had a much more powerful gun, and has a great name.

most panzer III production was switched over too the stug III as they use the same chassis.

• yes for me i would  love to see the Stug III and the tiger OR even maybe a King tiger =D, but i was wondering if FMG would make all mech. inf. amoured cars?

• For German tanks

Panzer III ( light) 2-2-2-5  ( start with these, after you buy X number you can start buying next model)
    Panzer IV (medium) 3-2-2-5  ( after you buy y number you can start buying next model)
    King Tiger ( late) 3-3-2-6  ( last model possible)

Plus:

Elephant 3-3-2-8 ( attacks at 4 if fighting other tanks can start buying them on turn X)
    Jagpanther  4-3-2-8  ( after you bought Z amount of elephants, you can start buying these ,attacks at 4 if fighting other tanks)

• @Imperious:

For German tanks

Panzer III ( light) 2-2-2-5  ( start with these, after you buy X number you can start buying next model)
    Panzer IV (medium) 3-2-2-5  ( after you buy y number you can start buying next model)
    King Tiger ( late) 3-3-2-6  ( last model possible)

Thats a cool idea.

Instead of tech being based on how much money you throw into the pot, its based on how much you invest in a certain type of unit. I like it, although it would take alot of peices for it too work with all units.

• Yes i don’t want technology to be too elaborate. This is easier. The more you buy the closer you get to better models.

Each nation could have different targets

This is the path to national unit values and the next generation of games of which is support but the lack of pieces was always in the way.

And you can keep the D6

based on my proposal, what would the Soviet tank lineup/stats be?

For Soviet tanks:

T-26 ( light) 2-2-1-5  ( start with these, after you buy X number you can start buying next model) ( note these can also be used by many neutrals as their primary tank too)
    T-34 (medium) 3-3-2-5  ( after you buy y number you can start buying next model)
    IS-1 series( late) 3-3-2-6  ( last model possible)

Plus:
    SU-76 3-2-2-8 ( attacks at 4 if fighting other tanks can start buying them on turn X)
    SU-100  3-3-2-8  ( after you bought Z amount of choice 1, you can start buying these ,attacks at 4 if fighting other tanks)

• @Lunarwolf:

but i was wondering if FMG would make all mech. inf. amoured cars?

No.  Germany, US and UK will most definitely be Half Tracks.  I think they’re going for the most likely/most common representation for each nation for Mech Inf.

• uk should be a bren gun carrier

• @cminke:

uk should be a bren gun carrier

yes, yes and yes. This is a must

Here are some soviets in a bren carrier

• Customizer

Hey Imperious Leader,
    Did you make a typo on the IS-1 series for the Soviet tanks?  It appears to have the same combat and movement values as a T-34 but costs 1 IPC more.  Why would the Soviet player bother with them when T-34s have the same capabilities but are cheaper?

By the way, I like your ideas of tech units evolving over so many rounds rather than just throwing money at researchers and hoping for the right development.  Most games I play, the technologies never get developed until way late in the game when one side has pretty much won already because everyone is busy buying combat units either for an attack or to defend against one.

Do you have any ideas on long range aircraft and heavy bombers?  The US and UK were more into both of these so obviously they would get them after “X” rounds but what about Germany or Japan?  Would they every be able to accquire that technology?  Would it cost them more or maybe take longer?

• @Imperious:

Yes i don’t want technology to be too elaborate. This is easier. The more you buy the closer you get to better models.

Each nation could have different targets…

An intriguing House Rule.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m